DLP tvs?

thisjustanother

CAGiversary!
i havnt heard much about these kinds of tv/projectors so im asking here if anyone has a lot of knowledge on these. i was browsing at frys and best buy and saw some of these rear projection tvs and the workers say they have a much sharper picture then lcd and plasmas.

i wasnt sure if i could trust them as they usualy just spurt stuff out just to try to get a sale. so i come here to see what you guys think.

The workers at Fry's are full of it. The have good pictures but can't match LCD or Plasma. That being said, DLP gives you the best bang for your buck at 50"-60". You can get a good DLP for around $1000 while the same LCD or Plasma will run double that. Also, the new DLPs have a game mode that turns off the processor and reduces lag to nearly zero.

Much better is a load of crap. I own a 52 inch DLP and a 46 inch lcd TV. I would say that the DLP TV does produce a better picture, but not by much. For about half the price of a plasma or lcd you can get the same if not better pic quality out of a DLP.

If you're willing to wait LED is the way to go. My wife and I bought an early series DLP for $2000 back in '06 , now that t.v. would probably retail for $800. Also theres a rainbow effect for some people. I can see this happen when I quickly shift the focus of my eyes somewhere off of the tv. Other than that great, big and now cheap tv's.

I have 56 inch dlp (samsung) and a 65 inch dlp (toshiba)...both 1080p. I think the picture quality looks great. You arent really gonna notice a difference unless you are one of those visual elitist assholes with your head so far up your ass you cant see the image anyways (if you are you probably wouldnt be on cheapassgamer asking for tv advice though). I also have a 42 inch LCD (philips) and 32 inch lcd (westinghouse) in the bedrooms and i think they look good too. Bang for the buck = DLP. The 65 incher cost $1300. Try getting a 65 inch lcd/plasma for that much, much less being 1080p. If you go the DLP route get a LED DLP so that you dont have to worry about replacing a bulb ever...also the LED style DLPs tend to not be as deep as bulb DLPs.

As for the game mode depascal is talking about I have never needed to use it. Older DLPs have some lag but the newer ones I have used dont have any sign of lag.

As far as the rainbow effect is concerbed, it was an issue with older models but the newer ones have pretty much eliminated it all together.

Dont rely on a bunch of cheap ass anybodys to recommend you a tv though...do a little research yourself without bias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Light_Processing

Pros
  • Smooth (at 1080p resolution), jitter-free images.
  • Perfect geometry and excellent grayscale linearity achievable.
  • Usually great ANSI contrast.
  • No possibility of phosphor burn-in.
  • Less "screen door effect" than with LCD projectors.
  • DLP rear projection TVs generally have a smaller form factor than comparable CRT projectors.
  • DLP rear projection TVs are considerably cheaper than LCD or plasma flat-panel displays and can still offer 1080p resolution.
  • The use of a replaceable light source means a potentially longer life than CRTs and plasma displays (this may also be a con as listed below).
  • The light source is more-easily replaceable than the backlights used with LCDs, and on DLPs is often user-replaceable.
  • New LED DLP TVs and projectors eliminate the need for lamp replacement.
  • Using two projectors, one can project full color stereoscopic images using polarized process (because beams can be polarized).
  • Lighter weight than LCD and plasma televisions.
  • Unlike their LCD and plasma counterparts, DLP screens do not rely on fluids as their projection medium and are therefore not limited in size by their inherent mirror mechanisms, making them ideal for increasingly larger high-definition theater and venue screens.
  • DLP Projectors can process up to 7 separate colors giving them strong color performance
  • DLP projectors do not suffer from “Color Decay” often seen with LCD projectors in which the image on the screen turns yellow after extended periods of usage.
[edit] Cons

• Some viewers are bothered by the "rainbow effect," explained above.
  • Not as thin as LCD or plasma flat-panel displays (although approximately comparable in weight), although some models as of 2008 are becoming wall-mountable (while still being 10" to 14" thick)[3]
  • Replacement of the lamp / light bulb. The average life span of a TV light source averages 1–3 years (based upon how often the television is powered on and off and the duration of viewing) and the replacement cost for these range from $99 – $350, depending on the brand and model. After replacing the bulb a few times the cost can easily exceed the original purchase price of the television itself. Newer generations units use LED which effectively eliminates this issue, although replacement LED chips could potentially be required over the extended lifespan of the television.
  • Some devices may have fan noise.
  • Dithering noise may be noticeable, especially in dark image areas. Newer (post ~2004) chip generations have less noise than older ones.
  • Error-diffusion artifacts caused by averaging a shade over different pixels, since one pixel cannot render the shade exactly.
  • Response time in video games may be affected by upscaling lag. While all HDTVs have some lag when upscaling lower resolution input to their native resolution, DLPs are commonly reported to have longer delays. Newer consoles such as the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 do not have this problem as long as they are connected with HD-capable cables.[4]
  • Lower viewing angle than direct-view technologies such as CRT, plasma, and LCD. ( both my dlps have 170 degrees of viewing)

[quote name='depascal22']The workers at Fry's are full of it. The have good pictures but can't match LCD or Plasma. That being said, DLP gives you the best bang for your buck at 50"-60". You can get a good DLP for around $1000 while the same LCD or Plasma will run double that. Also, the new DLPs have a game mode that turns off the processor and reduces lag to nearly zero.[/QUOTE]

Summed up perfectly.

But some of the other comments here are :roll:.

When I first saw this thread I wanted to say somthing about the rainbow effect as I try to point out every time I see/hear about DLP. I'm unsure about new DLPs but the older ones I could not watch due to this. When I was looking for an HD tv when they first came out the sales person was showing me a DLP and I could not watch it. I had done some reading before hand and read about the rainbow effect. I was one of 2 in the area of the TVs that saw it. No matter where I stood or what angle I looked at the TV I saw it. Out of 10 DLPs 9 of them did this to me. The other person only saw it if they were looking for it they said. Like I said I'm not sure if this is still an issue on the new ones or not. I'm glad to see that others have pointed this issue out in this thread. I have seen others post threads like this on other forums and it go 2 or 3 pages by the time I see it and not one person say something about it. Also this issue does not effect everyone. Their were 6 or 7 people around me that saw no issue with it when I was buying my first HD TV. So you may not see it yet your friends or family may.

As for the bulb I agree stay away from one with the bulb. If they are like the ones in the LCD TVs they can go out when ever. My first HD TV was an LCD and used a bulb. It went out every 3-6 months and was 300 bucks each time. The ones I was getting came with a 90 day warranty only that doesn't help when the makers of the TV and the place you bought it from don't want to do shit because it was 91 days. Like I said they are not cheap and I had to end up buying 3 or 4 of them before they said it was a defective TV after other things started going out and my screen went yellow and stayed yellow. American tried to say it was because of cigarette smoke when no one has been in here that smokes.

So stay a way from bulb tvs as you could end up replacing it a lot and really look at the DLPs.

I dont know what send me is talking about but i have never heard of an LCD that used a bulb as a backlight. As far as bulb cost in concerned, I've had my Samsung since November 2006 and use it every day and i am stilol on the original bulb. Last i checked (few months ago) the bulb could be easily had for $90 or less.

In my own experience I do think DLPs tend to look better (not by much).. they are also much cheaper then a comprable LCD/Plasma.. but they have awful response times so unless you are looking to adjust your timing on every single game, avoid them. Although this might be fixed in newer models (mine is from 2005).. From what I read it's still there, you can go in game mode but if I remember right that's just 480P only.

I have a Samsung DLP 56" and I've never had problems with response times, nor do I have to change anything for any games. I got my 56 back in 2007, and it was one of the first with LED, I paid $100 more than the model that had the bulb. I also have an LG 42" LCD. One thing I hate about LCD is that it produces a LOT of heat. It does need cooling. My DLP, hardly any heat. It does have a fan but I can only hear it when I turn on the TV when it makes a small click but the RPM is very low, hence can't hear it.

DLP should be really cheap now. The newest technologies are flatscreens with LED, or Laser. I saw Sony introduce a 1/100 of an inch thick screen. That's sick. If you really want to look into cutting edge, stay away from DLP and look into laser, but that will set you back a ton of $$$ you should rather spend on proven technology - like DLP. Oh btw, the IMAX camera's all use DLP chips now. That's how good the technology is.

I have had a 60" Mitsubishi 1080P DLP Rear-Pro since last black friday. I love it. It gives a awesome picture, maybe not quite as good as a lcd but blu-rays look stunning on it. I'm very happy with it. As long as you don't mind it being a little thicker than an lcd you can save a booty-load by going with rear-pro. Also as far as gaming I play both PS3 and 360 on it and don't notice any kind of screen lag at all. I'm not saying that they are all like this but I haven't had a problem myself.

I noticed that unless your sitting right infront of it, the contrast changed as your move off to its sides. Definatelty though, good bang for the buck. I was considering it, but to many quirks made me go for a Lcd.

Once you are above 50in - DLP really starts competing with the other models just on price alone.

I've got a 61in Samsung DLP, and I couldn't enjoy it more. It depends on your needs though. I had room for a rear projection style TV, and the room I put it in was long, so most of the seating isn't effected by the viewing area.

That said, i REALLY want one of those new LED models..

[quote name='depascal22']The workers at Fry's are full of it. The have good pictures but can't match LCD or Plasma. That being said, DLP gives you the best bang for your buck at 50"-60". You can get a good DLP for around $1000 while the same LCD or Plasma will run double that. Also, the new DLPs have a game mode that turns off the processor and reduces lag to nearly zero.[/QUOTE]
A 50 inch lcd or plasma can be had for under a $1000 now especially 720p.

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/3-d_dlp_hdtv.aspx

DLP + TI = 3D

TI brought the glasses by my school a couple years ago. Watched Meet the Robinsons with and without the glasses. With the glasses 3d was killer, without there was so difference, but it looked good. Played a FPS that allowed you to switch between player one and two on the glasses and an in between that gave me a headache. Iirc the tv looked crazy without the glasses for that.

Point is, they said only DLP could do it.

unfortunately, not much supports the 3D system you can buy for the DLPs. You can get some patches for PC games like Halo and Battlefield, etc that run in 3D with the aid of a computer and some link cables, but that's just too much work.

Lower viewing angle than direct-view technologies such as CRT, plasma, and LCD.

This is your issue. for that reason buy it locally so you can return it once you get it home and realize you cant see the damn thing.

Try it with blinds open etc.

The ones I have used and been at peoples houses I was dissapointed only by this issue.

Otherwise the old school gun games cannot work with them, DC guns, PS2 guns etc... just bringing that point up as I dont think it was mentioned.

Good luck.

LCD microdisplay/rear projection sets.

[quote name='Malik112099']I dont know what send me is talking about but i have never heard of an LCD that used a bulb as a backlight. [/QUOTE]

I have a 73" DLP it's a Mitsubishi WD-73833 Diamond Series. It also supports 3D Gaming, you need a pair of shutterfly glasses.

Phenomenal picture, 120Hz. Buld replacement is 4-5 years at $120 not bad.

I love DLPs, my other one is a Mitsubishi 62" WD-62725.

bread's done
Back