do a decent amount of people still play socom 2?

jlarlee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
I just got my new tiny PS2 and i wanted to try an online game with it. Are this games servers usually filled? IS there death match as well as team maps?

[quote name='jlarlee']i wonder will it make my router act haywire if i unplug my cat 5 cable from my xbox and plug it into the PS2?[/quote]

You shouldn't have a problem. Then again, you could have a weird router...

I had socom2 a while ago, but I traded it back in. I am planing on buying it again since its a GH now so I can play on my new pstwo system.

[quote name='zewone']I think I read somewhere that there is more Socom 2 players than all of Xbox Live games combined. So yeah a lot of people still play. I play about once a month. The game is very fun online.[/quote]

Yeah, I remember that. WTF were the ppl thinking with that quote? Seriously, all Xbox Live members definitely topple Socom 2's score.

Back to subject. I haven't played Socom 2 for about a month or two but I can garuntee you that a shit-load of ppl still play that game. It's a good game which I would still be playing if it didn't get old after a hundred or so hours.

[quote name='zewone']I think I read somewhere that there is more Socom 2 players than all of Xbox Live games combined. So yeah a lot of people still play. I play about once a month. The game is very fun online.[/quote]

Mabye total members...but active members....not even freaking close

yea socom was a good test for my new Ps2 although I hated the game, online at least. it seemed every freaking map had to be dark and of course people laid down mines you couldn't see. And as far as the online play the thought that comes to my mind is you get what you pay for it seemed no where near as smooth as XBL

I still play a lot of S2, and its still the best game I own (IMO!). yeah, its got issues, there's no denying that. And there's also no denying that I hate vehicles in games and FPS, so another reason why S2 is so good for me.
Even with this jlarlee, you can't expect to hop into an online game that has been out for a year and expect to have a chance. It must be pretty good, because every weekday, there are still 20000 people ONLINE and PLAYING. I don't know how many XBL has, but that's a lot of people who think the game is pretty good even though its got some lag.

[quote name='jdpimp']I still play a lot of S2, and its still the best game I own (IMO!). yeah, its got issues, there's no denying that. And there's also no denying that I hate vehicles in games and FPS, so another reason why S2 is so good for me.
Even with this jlarlee, you can't expect to hop into an online game that has been out for a year and expect to have a chance. It must be pretty good, because every weekday, there are still 20000 people ONLINE and PLAYING. I don't know how many XBL has, but that's a lot of people who think the game is pretty good even though its got some lag.[/quote]

Yea true just saying it wasn't for me. I know I was aggravating folks because I was getting voted out of a few matches and I hate being dead wood at that. I am used to holding my own in online play and not being that noob who aggravates everybody. One last thing I hated is that 15 second or so lag they between the end of the match and the next round screen when they play that horrible music. And I am not usally a graphics whore but I thought the game looke dhorrible in spots

Yea true just saying it wasn't for me. I know I was aggravating folks because I was getting voted out of a few matches and I hate being dead wood at that.
Well if you were getting voted out because you suck, then thats BS, everybody sucked once. Sometimes, people will throw you a vote to tell you to go and do something, but I bet it'd be confusing as hell for a n00b.

I am used to holding my own in online play and not being that noob who aggravates everybody. One last thing I hated is that 15 second or so lag they between the end of the match and the next round screen when they play that horrible music. And I am not usally a graphics whore but I thought the game looke dhorrible in spots

Yeah, it seems like you have to get a game when it comes out, and then stay sharp or it will just end up with you getting owned, because you haven't learned how to exploit certain maps and whatnot. As far as the annoying music.... I really can't say much for that, I usually play music when I'm online, just being able to hear gunfire. And the graphics can lack at times, but the game is over a year old and you are probably being an xbox snob :D (I have and xbox too and since I play my ps2 more I am usually WOW'ED by the graphics everytime I turn my xbox on :) )

[quote name='jdpimp']I still play a lot of S2, and its still the best game I own (IMO!). yeah, its got issues, there's no denying that. And there's also no denying that I hate vehicles in games and FPS, so another reason why S2 is so good for me.
Even with this jlarlee, you can't expect to hop into an online game that has been out for a year and expect to have a chance. It must be pretty good, because every weekday, there are still 20000 people ONLINE and PLAYING. I don't know how many XBL has, but that's a lot of people who think the game is pretty good even though its got some lag.[/quote]

And the game used to be over 40,000 peak-time users online daily (simultaneous) before the latest patch and rank reset, that were released and done back a couple months ago.

As for mines and night maps, you're just playing in the wrong rooms. There are over 20 maps and less than a third of them are dark maps, and even less are the REALLY dark hard to see maps (Shadow Falls, Abandoned). Also, with the upcoming maps, one will be a moderately dark one, while the other two maps will in plain day, if the released screens are accurate. And with more experience and teamplay, mines aren't much of a nuissance.

It's unfortunate that you didn't really get to enjoy the game, but I'm sure if a next time around comes about and you get to pull together some skill, or luck, you'll possibly see the quality that the SOCOM series really has to offer.

Lastly, make sure to pick up a headset, since quite a few great games will and already support it.

[quote name='PHaLaNX GTR'][quote name='jdpimp']I still play a lot of S2, and its still the best game I own (IMO!). yeah, its got issues, there's no denying that. And there's also no denying that I hate vehicles in games and FPS, so another reason why S2 is so good for me.

And the game used to be over 40,000 peak-time users online daily (simultaneous) before the latest patch and rank reset, that were released and done back a couple months ago.

As for mines and night maps, you're just playing in the wrong rooms. There are over 20 maps and less than a third of them are dark maps, and even less are the REALLY dark hard to see maps (Shadow Falls, Abandoned). Also, with the upcoming maps, one will be a moderately dark one, while the other two maps will in plain day, if the released screens are accurate. And with more experience and teamplay, mines aren't much of a nuissance.

It's unfortunate that you didn't really get to enjoy the game, but I'm sure if a next time around comes about and you get to pull together some skill, or luck, you'll possibly see the quality that the SOCOM series really has to offer.

Lastly, make sure to pick up a headset, since quite a few great games will and already support it.[/quote]

WTF? I also used to play this game a shit-load and I never, never, EVER saw it go above 25,000 ppl.

You're right. In the period I'm thinking about, it was more along the lines of around 35,000 players logged on simultaneously. What I originally was stated was more of an apex of the peaks. And 25,000? Those numbers were accurate like weeks after the game launched, but it quickly snowballed to the 30,000-40,000 range.

Yeah, Phalanx, how much did that patch piss you off? Resetting everyone's stats, what a dumbass idea. I know a couple people who haven't played it since because of that.

Not much, really. Truthfully, I didn't mind. The idea of starting over and seeing how fast I can move up in the ranks actually intrigued me. So, hopefully, these new maps will get me back into the game. And, yeah, I can see how the reset would piss quite a few legit people off. Personally, I had about 300 hours and just over 4,300 points erased.

bread's done
Back