Do grades really matter for job applications?

DarkSageRK

Banned
In order to sit the CPA exam in Minnesota, I need 150 credit hours, which leaves a fair number of classes open for me. Even if I end up doing a double major, I'd still have some extra spots available. This leads me to a decision I need to make. Should I take classes I think might be fun, or should I focus on easy courses to boost my GPA? Of course, that's just a proximate question... What I'm really curious about is how important my grades are to my resume.

I figured I'd ask some of my fellow CAGs, as I imagine many of you know more about life outside of college than I do.

Thanks.

Some companies care, some don't. For example, Google won't even consider you if your GPA is below 3.5; however, I think that is the exception rather than the rule. And if your grades are in classes outside your major, you can often split up your GPA into "major" and "overall." (In fact, this is often requested because people do take easy classes to boost their GPA and hide deficiencies in their major GPA.)

I would say do what you want, because as you get further away from college it will matter less and less.

Like said earlier, some do, some don't. But when was the last time an interviewer for a IT firm cared to ask you what grades you got in your geology class? It's only relevant when the class is relevant. So, in the former example, while geology might not matter, what you got in your Microsoft certification class might.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I would say do what you want, because as you get further away from college it will matter less and less.[/quote]

This is true. After your first job experience tends to matter more than your GPA but in order to find that first job GPA is extremely important - how else can they differentiate you from the next guy?

GPA is generally overrated in anything outside your first job, and even then it may not be a huge factor. However, having a respectable GPA certainly isn't going to hurt you.

Businesses will be much more interested in any extracurricular activities you'll have. Instead of loading up on classes try looking for internships. It'll give you a earlier chance to network and start looking for a job too.

For me, school has only come up once during all the job interviews I've ever had. Even then they only wanted to see that diploma, they didn't care about my GPA.

No. Get involved, if you have the time. If grades mattered that much, there wouldn't be a bunch of barely-C-students in management.

I wish I could have done more while in college, but I had to work 2 jobs to pay the bills. Ironically, that was a point that gave me a little advantage when I applied for an Air Force Officer commission.

It can help, and definitely can't hurt. The level they are looked at will vary by industry, company and the individual person reviewing applications.

It's just one thing that can help your resume stand out in a stack. For instance say there are two people with nearly identical experience and resume's over all, and both gave good interviews. One graduated the a 3.8 GPA and one with a 2.5 GPA. The GPA would definitely have the chance to be a boost there.

But in practice, most jobs are so competitve they're going to have a large stack of applicants and GPA could be somthing they help to weed out during the first phase. A lot of people with low GPAs probably don't get interviews for competitive jobs unless they have outstanding work experience.

Anyway, the long winded point is they can help and can't hurt. And you're paying for college so its a waste to not try and get the highest grades possible--whether that's taking easy classes or working hard in difficult ones.

I had a music appreciation teacher this semester who tried to convince us that our grade in his class mattered, saying that companies want people who are fully educated.

If i were going for an IT (CS major) job and the interviewer asked me about Beethoven, i'd probably walk out. Talk about something that is irrelevant to the job.

Strangely enough, he later said none of the stuff in his class really mattered, he was a confusing guy.

It varies. I had a GPA over 3.5 and still don't have a job. :whistle2:(

Anyway, one of the jobs I recently applied for, it was required to have a GPA above 3.2, and since mine was, my resume will probably be in the main pile. Some companies didn't really care (some just want experience).

[quote name='lordwow']I graduated Magna Cum Laude from a highly ranked private university.

And no one cares.[/quote]

aren't you the one that got into a prestigious grad school for film? :lol:

I say take some classes in where you'll be learning something that you think is interesting. That way you'll be more likely to do better in that class. Then just do the best you can.

If you take two years at a community and 2 years at a University, do they count all 4 years as your GPa, or only your two years in university.

Grades also help a lot with internships, which can lead to your first jobs. A friend of mine just accepted a job with Lockheed and he said his starting salary was partially based on his GPA. So, ya it can/does matter in some situations. If you want to take a class, take it and do your best at it...Its pretty stupid to not take a class you really would like because you are afraid of a B.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']aren't you the one that got into a prestigious grad school for film? :lol:[/QUOTE]

:lol: No, Although I was interviewed by 3 of the top 5 film schools in the nation as a finalist (Each school gets about 500 applicants and interviews about 40 finalists for 20 spots). Unfortunately, each only accepts about 1-5 students directly out of undergrad. They really focus on bringing in older students. I ended up waitlisted at 2 and rejected from another (usc), but all 3 said I should apply again next year and I'd have a better chance with a year of "real world experience" under my belt.

Even there my GPA was pretty irrelevant, it was pretty much "as long as you have above a 3.0." The GRE was more important, but really the creative writing was what gets you to the interviews in film school. The producers I interviewed with were all extensively knowledgeable in my pitches and treatments I wrote and were asking me in depth questions about my characters and plot.

If they look at your grades they're going to pull out the ones for your major and look at your gpa for those, so padding it with easy classes isn't really going to help. Take classes that you'd like to take

[quote name='Layziebones']If you take two years at a community and 2 years at a University, do they count all 4 years as your GPa, or only your two years in university.[/quote]

I just transfer to a four year school and pretty much all the work I did at my old school just transfer as credited hours. No grades or anything. So no only your two years at whatever university you finish at will those count towards your GPA.

Work experience is more important than grades. As an umemployed college grad, I've learned that the hard way. You should just take classes that you want to take, because if you're actually interested in the subject matter you shouldn't have a hard time studying and doing well in the class.

[quote name='Layziebones']If you take two years at a community and 2 years at a University, do they count all 4 years as your GPa, or only your two years in university.[/quote]All four.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']In order to sit the CPA exam in Minnesota, I need 150 credit hours, which leaves a fair number of classes open for me. Even if I end up doing a double major, I'd still have some extra spots available. This leads me to a decision I need to make. Should I take classes I think might be fun, or should I focus on easy courses to boost my GPA? Of course, that's just a proximate question... What I'm really curious about is how important my grades are to my resume.

I figured I'd ask some of my fellow CAGs, as I imagine many of you know more about life outside of college than I do.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I am an accounting major in Ohio, and had a Big 4 public accounting internship this summer, and have a full-time job with the same firm after I graduate.

GPA absolutely matters, especially if you want to do Big 4; I believe there is a cutoff of some sort, around 3.5, not sure of the exact number, for the Big 4 firms (of course I don't think it's set in stone but...). However, activities and experience/INTERNSHIPS matter more, as long as you have a good enough GPA. It is how you stand out from the huge crowd of people who have just as high of a GPA as you. Work hard to get internships and leadership roles in school organizations as soon as possible!

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I am an accounting major in Ohio, and had a Big 4 public accounting internship this summer, and have a full-time job with the same firm after I graduate.

GPA absolutely matters, especially if you want to do Big 4; I believe there is a cutoff of some sort, around 3.5, not sure of the exact number, for the Big 4 firms (of course I don't think it's set in stone but...). However, activities and experience/INTERNSHIPS matter more, as long as you have a good enough GPA. It is how you stand out from the huge crowd of people who have just as high of a GPA as you. Work hard to get internships and leadership roles in school organizations as soon as possible![/quote]

OP...This! I also just got hired (for which I feel blessed in these economic times) and just finished my 150 hours. I will sit for the CPA next year. The employer, which is not a Big 4, but a large regional firm, cared much more about my in-major GPA and the associated classes. Additionally, take electives which will help you with your profession, so if you can take any accounting electives by all means do it. I took an advanced auditing class this past summer where we actually went through an entire audit and I think it gave me the best ammo for my interview.

Be concerned with your GPA, but like Cracka said, they will be more interested in your major GPA, so take something that can benefit you.

I've had to review some resumes for my job.

You could not possibly imagine how horrible some of them are. My advice is to craft an honest and well-written cover letter---the CL will tell me the most about you.

As a fellow accountant, my advice would be to switch majors, but I don't think you will at this point.

I've found Accounting to be a surprisingly snobbish field as far as GPA, but if you're about 3.25 or higher, it won't matter. Sell your soul to get an internship or you will always be second to the applicant that has big 4/large firm experience. Do the CPA ASAP as well. If I had known that you are pretty much a flunkie if you stopped at a BA in the field or don't have public accounting experience, I would have never finished out. (Jaded much?)

Anyway, GPA matters for first job only. I blew it off settling for a 3.10 cumulative and had a hell of a time getting a job out of school. I didn't have time to intern as I was working to support myself throughout school. If you land an internship and the company is in good shape, you should get a permanent offer when you're done.

Also.. I went to a two year school (for 3 years) and transferred my credits over to the four year school (for 1 year) and they only came over as credit. If anyone asks to see my transcipts or student record it will only reflect what I did at the four year school. Use it to your advantage.

I have a friend who got an internship making about $16 an hour i believe, wish i could find an internship paying like that.

[quote name='QiG']
I've found Accounting to be a surprisingly snobbish field as far as GPA, but if you're about 3.25 or higher, it won't matter. Sell your soul to get an internship or you will always be second to the applicant that has big 4/large firm experience. Do the CPA ASAP as well. If I had known that you are pretty much a flunkie if you stopped at a BA in the field or don't have public accounting experience, I would have never finished out. (Jaded much?)[/QUOTE]

You did private accounting with a business/corporation I assume then? Because the Big 4 at the least does not give a flying fuck if you get a Masters of Accounting as long as you have enough hours for the CPA.

And I made $18.46 an hour plus time and a half overtime at my internship with a Big 4. This was in Ohio. An intern in NJ in my training class made like $25/hr.

And again, DEFINITELY INTERN. It's not just about the money. If you don't royally fuck up your internship or the company is severely downsizing, you will get an offer. Even if you don't want your offer with the place you interned with, it will help make getting the job of your choice exponentially easier. This is critical in times like these.

And The Mana Knight can't get a job despite the good GPA for these reasons:
1. Won't relocate
2. Won't get a driver's license
3. Didn't do an internship
4. Didn't have any extracurriculars to my knowledge
5. Is very shy and antisocial

I am number 5 on the list but I still was able to get a great job with a high GPA, internship experience, a willingness to locate if necessary (it wasn't, but other offers were for relocation), leadership experience in extracurriculars, etc. Seriously, TMK, as I have told you time and time again, BE WILLING TO MOVE FOR YOUR JOB AND GET A GODDAMN DRIVER'S LICENSE. I am SURE you will be able to find something if you actually follow my advice.

Having super high grades will help...otherwise it doesn't matter (of course, if you received low grades, you shouldnt mention it...)

[quote name='JolietJake']I had a music appreciation teacher this semester who tried to convince us that our grade in his class mattered, saying that companies want people who are fully educated.

If i were going for an IT (CS major) job and the interviewer asked me about Beethoven, i'd probably walk out. Talk about something that is irrelevant to the job.

Strangely enough, he later said none of the stuff in his class really mattered, he was a confusing guy.[/quote]

I had a Rhetoric professor who acted the same way. I found it rather amusing.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
And The Mana Knight can't get a job despite the good GPA for these reasons:
1. Won't relocate
2. Won't get a driver's license
3. Didn't do an internship
4. Didn't have any extracurriculars to my knowledge
5. Is very shy and antisocial[/QUOTE]Dead of Knight, I guess you didn't read this blog entry and this blog entry then. ;) I did get my license and own my own car over a month ago.

I did do one extracurricular activities in college (I wasn't a leader, just a member. Did a bunch in high school, but never included them on my resume since it was years ago), and more willing to relocate. 3 is right and 5 is somewhat right. ;)

I'll probably just explains my concerns and uncertainties about relocating far in a blog entry one day (long explanation and tough decision to make).

[quote name='Chase']I had a Rhetoric professor who acted the same way. I found it rather amusing.[/quote]
He was a bit of a wind bag anyway. He was also the corniest person i've ever met.

Jobs are a 5-10 year lookback, period. So if you are 6 or 7 years into a career, nobody is going to care what your grades or classes were. If you are just coming out of college, they'll look at your GPA if you post it, but it depends on the company.

Some companies will give you a grilling, other companies wont care...depends on the size of the organization and the competition for that particular job.

The general rule for resumes is if its not above 3.0, don't put it down. It also carries different weight in different markets.

I had a job interview and the guy was more concerned about the fact that I was still in school than my GPA

I was like "damn, I only have ONE CLASS THAT INERFERES!!!!!"

(and my real GPA is cryable....I put down 2.6 business gpa to look good)

Yep, almost had a dream full-time job....

I'm a job recruiter and most employers don't give two shits about GPA.

Here's what they look for:

1. Experience
2. Degree
3. Willingness to relocate
4. Willingness to work for stated salary/compensation package

999. GPA

They could care less about your Glee Club experience or that you graduated with honors. These days it's all about salary expectations. I can't tell you how many mid-level managers are still looking for 125k and how many C-level guys are looking for 300k+.

I've seen less qualified candidates get positions because they agreed to work for 80k while a PhD in Electrical Engineering got passed over because he refused to work for under 125k.

It's very important to have a high GPA, but the person reading your resume is not likely to care about the number.

High GPAs open doors. It's not for your resume (though latin honors looks nice).

bread's done
Back