Do I need TWO gold subscriptions?

Tyrannical

CAGiversary!
Do I need TWO gold subscriptions if both my son and myself want to play online. I have an adult account and I set him up as a child.

Yes, you would require TWO gold memberships (If you both want to play online at the same time, on two different 360s?)

Otherwise, a single gold account on certain games and allow guests to play online with them spitscreen.

Also, you could always just fish around for 48 hour trial codes so you can have multiplayer action whenever you want.

[quote name='Tyrannical']Do I need TWO gold subscriptions if both my son and myself want to play online. I have an adult account and I set him up as a child.[/QUOTE]
Yep. Each gamertag needs its own gold account to have access to gold content.

Ugh.

Way to shaqfu me up the ass MS. I was so pissed that I earned a week ban from the xbox forums for profanity. All I did was type a bunch of ***'s
http://forums.xbox.com/17189141/ShowPost.aspx

I'm not letting my kid use my profile so he can accidently spend MS points and screw with my save files.

I can't beleive they expect me to buy two subscriptions when I only have one 360. I'm pretty shocked I wasn't aware of this, because I'd thinks the complaints about it would be non-stop. $200 a year for a family of four to use live is. I better stop before I get banned here too :bomb:

Are you sure you aren't 11 years old? Because I can't help but read your posts with a high-pitched squeaky pre-pubescent voice.

My brother likes to play online on his own account, but he can't afford to buy gold and I can't afford to buy it for him, so I just give him a long list of 48-hour codes and he's been living off that for the past six months. That's the best I can suggest if you can't pay up the $4 a month (less if you bother to deal-hunt).

If your sons old enough to play on live, hes old enough for you to lay ground rules - as in just lay it out there "dont mess with M$ points or game saves"
Problem solved. :D

Its really, really hard to "accidentally" use points or delete game saves anyway...

[quote name='joevan']If your sons old enough to play on live, hes old enough for you to lay ground rules - as in just lay it out there "dont mess with M$ points or game saves"
Problem solved. :D

Its really, really hard to "accidentally" use points or delete game saves anyway...[/QUOTE]

Agreed, there shouldn't be any problem letting your son use your account. If he somehow does mess something up then you can say he can't use your account anymore. Either way it's much cheaper than buying a separate account for your (apparently spoiled and disobedient) son.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Agreed, there shouldn't be any problem letting your son use your account. If he somehow does mess something up then you can say he can't use your account anymore. Either way it's much cheaper than buying a separate account for your (apparently spoiled and disobedient) son.[/quote]

Apparrently his father set a great example.

[quote name='joevan']If your sons old enough to play on live, hes old enough for you to lay ground rules - as in just lay it out there "dont mess with M$ points or game saves"
Problem solved.
[/quote]

Nah. It's just easier to be angry at MS.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Are you sure you aren't 11 years old? Because I can't help but read your posts with a high-pitched squeaky pre-pubescent voice.

My brother likes to play online on his own account, but he can't afford to buy gold and I can't afford to buy it for him, so I just give him a long list of 48-hour codes and he's been living off that for the past six months. That's the best I can suggest if you can't pay up the $4 a month (less if you bother to deal-hunt).[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not eleven. I just can't see paying twice for something, it's the cheap ass principle of the matter, not cash. It's not that there isn't a way around it with the 48 hr codes. It's that MS EXPECTS each person that uses the 360 to use their own tag and own gold account. Even cable companies don't charge you extra for each TV.

I don't want to share a profile. I want to earn achievements myself in games. Then there are match making rankings on some games. Lots of games like PGR have an auto save, and my kid has this thing for buying orange colored cars. Ugh. So I aint sharing.

I'm just still in shock that I didn't even know this. With all the fan boy troll wars I've seen comparing a PS3's cost to a 360 with 5 years live, I've never seen mentioned a seperate charge for each gold user on a single 360. How hard is it to troll "nah, nah, $200 a year for online for familiy of four"?

[quote name='Tyrannical']Even cable companies don't charge you extra for each TV.[/QUOTE]
Um...yeah, they do. Try getting an extra jack installed, and see if they do it for free.

[quote name='Tyrannical']Even cable companies don't charge you extra for each TV.[/quote]

yeah they do...you pay extra for each additional box needed

also.....if you pay full price for Xbox Live you need help....Sears has the old cards for $15 and tons of deals can be found elsewhere

[quote name='Tyrannical']Ugh.

Way to shaqfu me up the ass MS. I was so pissed that I earned a week ban from the xbox forums for profanity. All I did was type a bunch of ***'s
http://forums.xbox.com/17189141/ShowPost.aspx

I'm not letting my kid use my profile so he can accidently spend MS points and screw with my save files.

I can't beleive they expect me to buy two subscriptions when I only have one 360. I'm pretty shocked I wasn't aware of this, because I'd thinks the complaints about it would be non-stop. $200 a year for a family of four to use live is. I better stop before I get banned here too :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Why would you even let him play online?

Create him a silver account/profile and keep him offline.

-edit Also, how fucked up are your kids where you are afraid that they will spend all of your MS points and delete your save? I thought you were the parent in this situation?

If he spends your points and deletes your saves just remember...

Hit him with a sack of oranges, that way the oranges bruise and he doesn't.

JKJKJKJKJK Child abuse is bad.

[quote name='tokitoki50']If he spends your points and deletes your saves just remember...

Hit him with a sack of oranges, that way the oranges bruise and he doesn't.

JKJKJKJKJK Child abuse is bad.[/quote]
more_you_know1.jpg

What a bunch of dicks on here. The guy's got a legit point.

Yeah, Tyrannical this sucks. But on the positive side, I can tell you that I'm not sure I'd let any kid of mine play on Xbox Live. I hear way too much of the "n-word" from 12-year olds when I'm playing an M-rated game like Gears. On the positive side, there are always plenty of deals on Live subscriptions--any you probably get the kid to do some good slave labor for you when you're out of 48-hour trial codes. PM me if you want some more--I may have some that I've not used laying around.

If he's old enough to play online, then he's old enough to earn the cost of the XBL Gold service, imo.

What happened to the days when children wanted something they had to, you know, "earn" it?

Hmmm, maybe giving them everything is why children seem to grow up these days with a sense of entitlement?

[quote name='Tyrannical']

Way to shaqfu me up the ass MS. I can't beleive they expect me to buy two subscriptions. I'm pretty shocked I wasn't aware of this, because I'd thinks the complaints about it would be non-stop. $200 a year for a family of four to use live is. [/QUOTE]

When you go out to the movies with your family of four do you complain at the ticket booth that they want you to buy four tickets? Or do you buy one ticket and sneak your wife & kids through the exit door?

And going out to eat? My word! Can you believe some places expect everone eating to pay? Life is hard.

I think it is complete bullshit to have to get a gold membership for each person in a house that wants to play online. Should be a gold membership for your system.

Everyone whines that it's $50/person. It is only if you aren't a CHEAPASS (then why're you here?)

I got both mine and my g/f a year of Gold for about $22 a piece. Considering that some online MMOs (WoW, etc) are $15/month per person, don't complain.

Granted, you have to buy games, but you should be cheapass on those too.

Do your homework, and make us proud.

Aside from that, each account (Gold or Silver) has their own little partition on the hard drive. As in, anyone on an account other than your own will have ZERO access to your save files. I found this out when I was wondering where my g/f (CrimsonSnipette) was saving her Overlord save files.

The 360 partitions them all, so there is no chance of someone saving over your files, unless you let them onto your account, and I believe you can password protect those.

~HotShotX

If the kids is over the age of 13, which is the age to have a gold account, I think the kid can either A.) not touch your game saves or points and have his own Silver account if he wants to play games offline or B.) get a job either at an actual business or around the house in order to pay for his account, that way you teach him/her responsibilty and respect which you seem to show so well going to xbox.com and cussing like a sailor just because you have to pay for a service so that at the end of the day your kid doesn't mess with your stuff because you don't have the fatherly role you need to say what you kid should and should not do on your $400+ piece of equipment.

I mean come on the person you should be yelling at is yourself, it's not xbox's fault that you didn't read the fine print when you bought your system and it's not xbox's fault you can't control your kid and have to get this worried about him screwing up your PGR4 saves with orange cars, oh wait your right, that would totally be the end of the world.

Maybe you should have thought of this before you bought an xbox or became a father.

EDIT: here this will save you a little bit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162853

I don't recall the OP asking you guys to criticize him as a parent. You need to find a better way to express your disagreement. Take this as a warning. No more thread crapping/insulting of other members.

OK here is a better way to express my disagreement. If don't like the way Microsoft chooses to charge their customers than yes, you should sell your 360 and get a PS3, otherwise yes you have to pay per account, and next time why don't you research what you are getting into before putting upwards of $500 into a game console (thats half the battle of being a cheap ass, research). That way you don't have to come on here and xbox.com crying about how they charge you per gold account, something that sounds like you don't need anyway (just trying to save you money).

OK, let me just clarify a few points here.

Yes I'm a cheapassgamer. I know there are deals on live subscriptions or easy ways to get 48hr codes. I just picked up two for about $70 from the Desiccant Silica Gel reseller thread.

I said that Microsoft EXPECTS you to buy multiple gold accounts. Yes there are also cheapass ways around that also. My problem is not with the cost but it's the principle of the matter. It's not paying the cable company extra for each TV you have, it's like paying extra for each person that WATCHES your one TV.

OK, the kid is not any brattier or irresponsible then any other 13yr old boy. I've got no problem with him and his two friends coming over. I'm GUESSING that most of the people in this thread giving advice aren't parents of a teenager. Or perhaps only have to remember a few years back when they were that age. There is a reason I picked up two detroit lions wired mad catz controllers for $16.99, accidents happen and I'd rather them happen to a couple of dirt cheap controllers.

Sharing a profile won't work.

I want to earn all of my own achievements.

Lot's of games autosave results.

It is too easy to save over the wrong save file. You can't easilly tell who's is whom.

It's too easy to accidently spend MS points. You'd be surprised what can happen when kids just click buttons by accident.

Parental controls. Got to be able to lock him out at my whim. Beats the hell out of hiding the power supply and remembering to hide it again when I'm done.
I don't lock him out of mature games as I'll let him play Halo 3. But when he or his friends snag my other mature games off of my desk, bam account lock out.
Disks laying around out of their cases, bam 24hr ban.

I think it would be complete bullshit if people who have one gold account could keep signing up new ones on their 360 and potentially harass people.

But that's just me.

Well it makes sense... so dont complain about it...

Just think of it as if someone wants to play xbox live they have to pay 50 a year.

No matter who it is they HAVE to pay that....

You do know you can buy like monthly cards or 3 month cards..

[quote name='Tyrannical']I said that Microsoft EXPECTS you to buy multiple gold accounts. Yes there are also cheapass ways around that also. My problem is not with the cost but it's the principle of the matter. It's not paying the cable company extra for each TV you have, it's like paying extra for each person that WATCHES your one TV.
[/QUOTE]

No, because he can still have his own silver account which gives him everything besides the ability to play online.

It's the same exact thing as if you wanted a cable box in each room. Sure you can run your own cables and get cable in the room for free but don't expect the channel guide or any of the digital channels you get with a cable box.

[quote name='Tyrannical']OK, the kid is not any brattier or irresponsible then any other 13yr old boy. I've got no problem with him and his two friends coming over. I'm GUESSING that most of the people in this thread giving advice aren't parents of a teenager. Or perhaps only have to remember a few years back when they were that age. There is a reason I picked up two detroit lions wired mad catz controllers for $16.99, accidents happen and I'd rather them happen to a couple of dirt cheap controllers.

Sharing a profile won't work.

I want to earn all of my own achievements.

Lot's of games autosave results.

It is too easy to save over the wrong save file. You can't easilly tell who's is whom.

It's too easy to accidently spend MS points. You'd be surprised what can happen when kids just click buttons by accident.

Parental controls. Got to be able to lock him out at my whim. Beats the hell out of hiding the power supply and remembering to hide it again when I'm done.
I don't lock him out of mature games as I'll let him play Halo 3. But when he or his friends snag my other mature games off of my desk, bam account lock out.
Disks laying around out of their cases, bam 24hr ban.[/QUOTE]

He's 13 not 5.

Autosaving over your save, I can understand but not accidently spending MS points. There are like 3 screens you have to go through before you purchase something.

And again there is no reason to share an account. Just make him a silver account and call it a day.

He doesn't have to go online and that gives him his own saves/achievement/etc.

[quote name='lordwow']I think it would be complete bullshit if people who have one gold account could keep signing up new ones on their 360 and potentially harass people.

But that's just me.[/QUOTE]

Really, only way that would be fair is if one of the spinoff accounts got banned, all the accounts plus the main one got banned.

[quote name='lordwow']I think it would be complete bullshit if people who have one gold account could keep signing up new ones on their 360 and potentially harass people.

But that's just me.[/QUOTE]
you can only get free gold trail 4 times

Anyway if OP is concern about game save, just get a memory card and have the kid use that.

Why not make him earn it as your little worker on the Tropicana Twisted contest?

A solid night of work and he'll have enough 48 hour codes to last a year, and you can get dibs on any points or games he wins. =D

I sympathize, but this really isn't anything new. Five years ago when XBL started, there was just one $50 flavor, and if multiple people wanted to play online, multiple accounts were required. Same story today; just w/ the Silver option if online play isn't required.

Does cable charge for extra TV's? Usually not, unless you're using a cable box on each TV. But in the same vein, you're paying more per connection if you have digital satellite. You're paying extra per phone line on cellular family plan. Paying 100% more? No. But paying for what you're using.

In the end, the analogies don't really help. MS has set the bar at $50, and it's not likely to change. Never thought I'd recommend a PS3 as the budget choice, but if the online fees are a deal breaker, I suppose the PS3 would be the way to go. I think there's something to be said for the differences between the two experiences, but $200 is $200.

I think taking a cue from Apple's volume licensing (ie: $20 over single-user MSRP for a 5-user family pack for apps, $70 over for OS) would be interesting for XBL. Say 5 gamertags tied to the same Live ID for $80? Spoofing, boosting, and other stupidity becomes a concern, that hasn't stopped anybody thus far.

If you could make multiple gold accounts on each box so long as you paid the $50 live fee for said box you could make a ton of accounts and then give them to your friends so they could recover them on their consoles and never have to pay....

it would be like buying one pc game and then using that pc to copy the game many times and then give the copies to your friends....

shit doesnt work that way...if it did then Xbox Live would be a shithole, but it isnt cause the way it is set up works well...

once again if you pay full price for a live subscription you are tarded cause you are on CHEAPASSGAMER

Actually I could understand someone "accidentally" buying an XBLA game. The links for buying a full version and a demo version are usually right next to each other. Also the demo versions always have those screens where it's like "press this button to upgrade to the full version" or something like that, and they usually hit you with it several times in the middle of the game. Seems totally reasonable to be paranoid if you've got a kid using your account, imho.

I have 3 Live supcriptions running and playing with my two best freinds, Mr Amazing 154 and Snipe from Afar on Halo 3 ranked is worth every penny.

To the people with helpful comments, thanks.
To the trolls that still live in their parent's basement, find another thread.

Well I've gotten over the initial shock and anger. I really wish they offered some type of "family plan" where I could get multiple memberships at a discount, sort of how AAA works. Or how with my Tivo I pay $12.95 for the first then $4.95 extra for each additional Tivo.

As far as I can tell, the only difference from "gold" and the 48hr trial is it is still a silver membership except you can play games online. I don't think that gives you access to some premium content (Xbox original themes) and you still have to wait for silver access to some DLC like Bioshock. But I should be able to download all of that with my gold account.

I broke out the 360 for a little preholiday cheer, and I'm letting the kid play PGR3. Which no one seems to play online anymore. Once he gets the cheapass halo 3 legendary on christmas, I think his interest in live will take off. So he better get busy on the tropicana web site. Love the new parental controls, so easy to lock him out if he is naughty.

So too bad M$, I'm only buying one. Son can do his on the cheap. Too bad, becuase I would have paid for his account if I got some type of discount.

Your son doesn't really need a gold account anyways. Why? Because any premium content you download is tied to your gamertag AND the console itself. So he can use any map pack/gold demo/dlc/etc you download at no additional charge.

For online play he can use those 48hour trials. Might get a little tedious having to type a 25 digit code every 2 days, but hey, it's free.

I was going to compare complaining about having to pay two gold subscriptions is like complaining about having to pay a hooker for two people, but I decided against it and instead I'm going to boo this whole thread.

Boooooo.

[quote name='DustHimself']I was going to compare complaining about having to pay two gold subscriptions is like complaining about having to pay a hooker for two people, but I decided against it and instead I'm going to boo this whole thread.

Boooooo.[/quote]

I guess you missed this in my post above.

To the trolls that still live in their parent's basement, find another thread.

" To the trolls that still live in their parent's basement, find another thread."

I don't live in my parent's basement. :cry:

And it's true. Complaining about having to pay gold for two seperate people is just... retarded. You want to complain about something that's really a tragedy, complain about how FEMA fucked New Orleans in the ass.

[quote name='DustHimself']" To the trolls that still live in their parent's basement, find another thread."

I don't live in my parent's basement. :cry:

And it's true. Complaining about having to pay gold for two seperate people is just... retarded. You want to complain about something that's really a tragedy, complain about how FEMA fucked New Orleans in the ass.
[/quote]

First, your comments in this thread are neither helpful, useful, or funny. Find another thread.

Second, I blame the governess, the mayor, and the city full of stupid people who voted in their stupid mayor for the New Orleans disaster. I don't blame FEMA.

You would think that if you paid 50 bucks for a year of gold, all accounts on the same system would be able to use that. Since the money you are paying is to play online with your xbox 360. To divide it up to each account seems a little extreme and money grubby. I am glad i dont have to share my xbox 360 with anyone.

Tyrannical, I think you're going the right route w/ 1 Gold and 1 Silver. But I thought about it, and there's a few other ways to get him online, and they have a common theme of moving the ownus off of you and onto him.

1. If friends and family are looking for gift ideas for him, maybe a prepaid XBL card makes a good suggestion.

2. Does he get an allowance? If so, he can save up for a membership if it's important to him.

3. Earn it. I don't know about you, but when I was 13, I was always babysitting or mowing lawns or something. Should be a few ways he can make a buck.

Just a thought.

[quote name='The 7th Number']You would think that if you paid 50 bucks for a year of gold, all accounts on the same system would be able to use that.[/QUOTE]
How would you define "all accounts on the same system"? There are too many loopholes that way. Either people could use it to get free Live in ways that aren't intended, or it would be locked down so much that people that did pay for it wouldn't be able to use Live in ways they can now (account recovery, etc).

Microsoft is customer hostile and this is just one of the reasons.

CAGs defending MS here? That's just silly.

bread's done
Back