Do NOT buy Deus Ex HR from gamestop on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmdragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
From Joystiq.com

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/24/gamestop-intentionally-removing-deus-ex-onlive-coupons-from-reta/

GameStop intentionally removing Deus Ex OnLive coupons from retail PC copies

by Richard Mitchell on Aug 24th 2011 12:51PM
Shenanigans
Hey, remember the free Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive code that comes with the retail PC version? If you bought your copy at GameStop, chances are you didn't get the code. It turns out that the retailer decided not to participate in the promotion ... by force.

GameSpy is reporting that GameStop employees received notice yesterday that they were to open new PC copies of Deus Ex and remove the free OnLive token. To repeat: GameStop employees were told to open new copies and remove contents intended to be sold with the game.

A GameStop representative confirmed to GameSpy that the company is removing the tokens, saying, "Square Enix packed the competitor's coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull and discard these coupons." Indeed, some of our own commenters claiming to be GameStop employees said the same thing in our post revealing the OnLive promotion yesterday.

Joystiq is currently investigating the issue, including the possible legal implications of tampering with a product and selling it as new.

[Image: GameSpy]

Despicable on Gamestops part and I hope they get sued for this.

Didn't see a thread for this and didn't want to get yelled at for posting this in video game deals as it's not a deal but it is very important. If we can post it there then please mods move it to that forum

Well gamestop in general is heinous; it's been years since I've purchased any from them. Their used game service is also doing serious damage to developers.

LOL at "the possible legal implications of tampering with a product and selling it as new." Somebody's never heard of gutting.

Actually removing something from the package, and then selling it without that element, does seem iffy though. I would have expected them to just pull the product from the shelves entirely.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']LOL at "the possible legal implications of tampering with a product and selling it as new." Somebody's never heard of gutting.

Actually removing something from the package, and then selling it without that element, does seem iffy though. I would have expected them to just pull the product from the shelves entirely.[/QUOTE]
I don't know why don't they just sell digital copies rather than go through all this crap, this is going to be a PR nightmare for Gamestop

If you complain enough, would they drop the price of the game? Much like a brand new car that has been driven off the lot, a previously opened game loses a good portion of its value the moment it is opened.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, i did a search and the thread above did not show up in the search even though it has the exact same wording almost...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back