Do ps3 slims still play ps1 games?

Kenshindono

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
hmm my ps3 died several months back. I was finally considering getting a replacment. Probably when the x-mas sales come up, but i was wondering. WHat exactly changed with the slim from the fat? I know it lost some USB slots, and the touch buttons. I think it gained the ability to do PCM over optical too, but not sure. I actually like the old look way better. But what functionality did it lose, if any?

Does it still play PS1 games and stuff like that?

The Slim is better but in some ways it isn't.

The Slim has 2 USB slots, new look, less chance of over heating, bigger hdd, and is NOT backwards compatible (can play PS1 games though, just not PS2 games). I think the only backwards compatible PS3 is the 80GB fat.

If I were you i'd get a slim now since there was recently a price drop on the PS3's, 160GB ($249) and 320GB ($299).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it still does PS1. As far as what it lost, it depends on which iteration, as they have slowly been losing things over time.
Gone is:

PS2 support (for a while now)
SACD playback
at least 2 USB slots
touch buttons
the need for a huge power supply
noise
the ability to stand upright without a stand
Sixaxis only controllers
free CAT6 cable
Spiderman font

If you wait longer, the newer model PS3 slims will lose some more features, such as the ability to play movies Blu-rays over composite cables.

[quote name='harleymandvdson']The Slim is better but in some ways it isn't.

The Slim has 2 USB slots, new look, less chance of over heating, more memory, and is NOT backwards compatible. I think the only backwards compatible PS3 is the 80GB fat.

If I were you i'd get a slim now since there was recently a price drop on the PS3s, 160GB ($249) and 320GB ($299).[/QUOTE]

have to point out one mistake, my friend. 60gb ps3 phat is backwards compatible (with ps2 guts inside). it plays ps2 and ps1 games.

[quote name='Drclaw411']have to point out one mistake, my friend. 60gb ps3 phat is backwards compatible (with ps2 guts inside). it plays ps2 and ps1 games.[/QUOTE]

While on the topic of mistakes, there was only a limited run of 80 GB backwards-compatible models (such as the Motorstorm and MGS4 bundles), and these were software compatibility. Plus the fact that there was a 20GB backwards-compatible model (via hardware) released at the same time as the 60GB.

[quote name='Drclaw411']have to point out one mistake, my friend. 60gb ps3 phat is backwards compatible (with ps2 guts inside). it plays ps2 and ps1 games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's why I said "I think", I knew I was probably wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='harleymandvdson']Yeah that's why I said "I think".[/QUOTE]

The Slim has 2 USB slots, new look, less chance of over heating, more memory, and is NOT backwards compatible. I think the only backwards compatible PS3 is the 80GB fat.

If I were you i'd get a slim now since there was recently a price drop on the PS3's, 160GB ($249) and 320GB ($299).

Incorrect, only 80GB fat PS3's are backwards compatible. [/QUOTE]

After a quick edit, yes you did ;)

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']While on the topic of mistakes, there was only a limited run of 80 GB backwards-compatible models (such as the Motorstorm and MGS4 bundles), and these were software compatibility.[/QUOTE]

Actually those were only half software emulation (Emotion Engine) as half was still real hardware (Graphics Synthesizer).

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']After a quick edit, yes you did ;)[/QUOTE]

Lol, actually I had I think in it the first time I posted it. The first edit- I quoted that guy, and the second- I deleted the quote because he was talking about PS1 games. "I think" was in there throughout my original post :), I kind of contradicted myself with the first edit.

The Slim has 2 USB slots, new look, less chance of over heating, more memory, and is NOT backwards compatible (can play downloaded PS1 games though). I think the only backwards compatible PS3 is the 80GB fat.

If I were you i'd get a slim now since there was recently a price drop on the PS3's, 160GB ($249) and 320GB ($299).[/QUOTE]

People talking about mistakes in this post and don't even point out the one mistake concerning the OP's question. Yes, slims have PS1backwards compatibility. They will play PS1 discs. I played Parasyte Eve a few months ago on my slim.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']People talking about mistakes in this post and don't even point out the one mistake concerning the OP's question. Yes, slims have PS1backwards compatibility. They will play PS1 discs. I played Parasyte Eve a few months ago on my slim.[/QUOTE]

Lol, okay i've fixed the post. Everyones a critic...

[quote name='Nogib']Actually those were only half software emulation (Emotion Engine) as half was still real hardware (Graphics Synthesizer).[/QUOTE]

True, but I've only heard these referred to these PS3's as the software emulation (compatibility) models. The original PS3's had, for all intents and purposes, a PS2 jammed inside of it. Once the Emotion Engine GPU was replaced with software, no one referred to those models as "partial hardware emulation", simply software emulation PS3's. I guess that would make more sense since the CPU has more to do with crunching software game code than a GPU. Once the CPU became software based, then the games became "emulated".

[quote name='ChibiJosh']People talking about mistakes in this post and don't even point out the one mistake concerning the OP's question. Yes, slims have PS1backwards compatibility. They will play PS1 discs. I played Parasyte Eve a few months ago on my slim.[/QUOTE]

I thought Nogib and I both pointed this out in posts 2 and 4?

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']

I thought Nogib and I both pointed this out in posts 2 and 4?[/QUOTE]

I was just talking about the people that were complaining about the mistakes in that post (and missing/ignoring the one mistake that actually mattered to the thread topic). I just wanted to make sure there was no confusion between the contradicting posts. I didn't say no one mentioned the PS1 compatibility.

my ps3 80gb bc ylod on me a few weeks back :[
seriously the saddest thing has happened to me in a while
heres something that you may or may not know (i sure as hell didnt):
there are copyright protected save data such as sly collection and heavy rain
so you are going to lose that save data if you change ps3s

not sure if you can savage them without doing some kind of hex value editing

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Yes it still does PS1. As far as what it lost, it depends on which iteration, as they have slowly been losing things over time.
Gone is:

PS2 support (for a while now)
SACD playback
at least 2 USB slots
touch buttons
the need for a huge power supply
noise
the ability to stand upright without a stand
Sixaxis only controllers
free CAT6 cable
Spiderman font

If you wait longer, the newer model PS3 slims will lose some more features, such as the ability to play movies Blu-rays over composite cables.[/QUOTE]

While you're right about most of those, the slim has a louder disc drive than the fat models. The fan is near silent though. Also, slims can stand upright without a stand but they're somewhat easy to fall over if gently pushed.

[quote name='sinned47']my ps3 80gb bc ylod on me a few weeks back :[

not sure if you can savage them without doing some kind of hex value editing[/QUOTE]

You could use the backup/restore feature for data on the harddrive, but I don't know if copy protected save files will transfer over to a new PS3 or if it only works for the same PS3 you backed up from.. and of course you'd need the original PS3 system that the hard drive was tied to to work to backup data. When I upgraded my hard drive my dragon age and heavy rain save files transfered over, but I was restoring them to the same PS3, just a different hard drive.

[quote name='sunghost']While you're right about most of those, the slim has a louder disc drive than the fat models. The fan is near silent though. Also, slims can stand upright without a stand but they're somewhat easy to fall over if gently pushed.

You could use the backup/restore feature for data on the harddrive, but I don't know if copy protected save files will transfer over to a new PS3 or if it only works for the same PS3 you backed up from.. and of course you'd need the original PS3 system that the hard drive was tied to to work to backup data. When I upgraded my hard drive my dragon age and heavy rain save files transfered over, but I was restoring them to the same PS3, just a different hard drive.[/QUOTE]

It can stand on its own but I'd never do it, I swear a slight breeze would knock it over. I've never noticed th drive being loud either, and I'd never be able to tell if my dead phat had a loud drive anyway since the fan drowned out everything else in the room.

The only way to reliably get that locked data is a system transfer. If it's YLOD see if you can find a way to keep it alive long enough to do that to your new system, it takes a while depending on how much data you have. One tip I have is speed up the transfer process by manually moving important things that aren't locked through a USB and then delete them off the system to make the data size smaller.
I'm not sure, but maybe some locked savegames can be moved across systems via the PS+ cloud storage?

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']It can stand on its own but I'd never do it, I swear a slight breeze would knock it over. I've never noticed th drive being loud either, and I'd never be able to tell if my dead phat had a loud drive anyway since the fan drowned out everything else in the room.

The only way to reliably get that locked data is a system transfer. If it's YLOD see if you can find a way to keep it alive long enough to do that to your new system, it takes a while depending on how much data you have. One tip I have is speed up the transfer process by manually moving important things that aren't locked through a USB and then delete them off the system to make the data size smaller.
I'm not sure, but maybe some locked savegames can be moved across systems via the PS+ cloud storage?[/QUOTE]

I think all locked saves can be moved across systems using PS+ cloud storage. I transferred copy protected saves to a different PS3 back when I had PS+ during the welcome back period. My 60gb fat ps3 has a much louder fan but I rarely hear the disc drive. For the slim PS3 disc drive it really depends on what game you're playing. Some games make the drive a lot louder while others are very quiet.

I agree about it not being worth the risk to have a slim PS3 sit vertically without a stand. I bought one immediately after I bought my slim cuz I noticed how easily it can be knocked down.

The Slim has 2 USB slots, new look, less chance of over heating, more memory, and is NOT backwards compatible (can play PS1 games though, just not PS2 games). I think the only backwards compatible PS3 is the 80GB fat.

If I were you i'd get a slim now since there was recently a price drop on the PS3's, 160GB ($249) and 320GB ($299).[/QUOTE]
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned that the slim does NOT have more memory. All PS3s 256MB main memory and 256MB graphics memory

PS1 Graphics are not the best on PS3. Playing Final Fantasy VII, the graphics are VERY pixelated, and feels more like Lego Final Fantasy. If you don't mind loss of graphics quality, it's fine.

[quote name='sinned47']my ps3 80gb bc ylod on me a few weeks back :[

not sure if you can savage them without doing some kind of hex value editing[/QUOTE]If you have the cloudsave feature with PS+, you can back-up/copy the saves once every 24 hours to any PS3 you want to.

[quote name='Ather']PS1 Graphics are not the best on PS3. Playing Final Fantasy VII, the graphics are VERY pixelated, and feels more like Lego Final Fantasy. If you don't mind loss of graphics quality, it's fine.[/QUOTE]

The loss of graphics isn't so bad, I don't think. I would say it looks worse playing on an original PS1 on an HDTV because the PS3 at least smooths the resolution. It is pretty bad if you play on full-screen mode (as opposed to normal) though.

On the topic of PS1 compatibility and backing up save data, does the Backup / Restore method in the PS3 settings actually back up PS1 saves? I had an 80 GB PS3 die on me and I managed to get a different unit from Sony, but when I tried to restore my data, my PS1 saves weren't restored. Are PS1 saves also copy-protected like some PS3 saves? Since then, I've been backing the saves up with my PSP.

[quote name='x-striker']The loss of graphics isn't so bad, I don't think. I would say it looks worse playing on an original PS1 on an HDTV because the PS3 at least smooths the resolution. It is pretty bad if you play on full-screen mode (as opposed to normal) though.

On the topic of PS1 compatibility and backing up save data, does the Backup / Restore method in the PS3 settings actually back up PS1 saves? I had an 80 GB PS3 die on me and I managed to get a different unit from Sony, but when I tried to restore my data, my PS1 saves weren't restored. Are PS1 saves also copy-protected like some PS3 saves? Since then, I've been backing the saves up with my PSP.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it should backup absolutely everything. The only thing that needed to be reinstalled for me was trophy data, whenever I first launched games. Not sure why it didn't restore your PS1 saves, and I doubt they're copy protected. I suppose it might be possible for specific saves to be, but still doubtful. I had a couple PS1 saves in my backup that restored fine.

[quote name='sunghost']I think all locked saves can be moved across systems using PS+ cloud storage. I transferred copy protected saves to a different PS3 back when I had PS+ during the welcome back period.[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling about this, but wasn't sure. Almost makes PS+ worth it just for that, although not being able to transfer anything you want seems ridiculous to begin.

[quote name='Ather']PS1 Graphics are not the best on PS3. Playing Final Fantasy VII, the graphics are VERY pixelated, and feels more like Lego Final Fantasy. If you don't mind loss of graphics quality, it's fine.[/QUOTE]

Y'know, that might not be a bad idea for a game.

[quote name='sky03']i didnt know the ps3 plays ps1 games[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS1 downloads wouldn't be up in the store if they didn't play on all PS3 consoles.[/QUOTE]

Let's not forget that those PS1 games in the PSN store also work for the PSP. They obviously have to be digital downloads to work since there's no CD drive on a PSP.
But you can play disc-based PS1 games on a PSP if you use the PS3's Remote Play feature. I've never tried, so I can't vouch for the playability factor.

Interesting that this question even needed to be asked and it really reflects upon the current console generation's feature-creep when it comes to hardware revisions.

Sony is, sadly, the worst this gen when it comes to removing functionality in order to drive-down costs. Hell they even do it via firmware which is disgusting. :whistle2:(

bread's done
Back