Do some people have something against reprints?

NightNinja7

CAGiversary!
I dunno, I've read some posts at some sites where people were slightly annoyed to maniacally fanatic about a game getting reprinted. I always though reprints are a good thing (I never sold a game).

There are certain kinds of collectors out there that don't like it for a number of reasons, largely because "their game" will no longer be rare.

If you've read one of the hundreds of threads that pop up here that are usually started by a company ( I won't name names, but it starts with a G and ends with a AMEQUESTDIRECT), it's not that people are against the actual game being reprinted but instead are pissed by the shenanigans pulled by the company doing the reprinting.

Dave

[quote name='MightySlacker']If you've read one of the hundreds of threads that pop up here that are usually started by a company ( I won't name names, but it starts with a G and ends with a AMEQUESTDIRECT), it's not that people are against the actual game being reprinted but instead are pissed by the shenanigans pulled by the company doing the reprinting.

Dave[/QUOTE]

What did the company do? False advertise?

[quote name='NightNinja7']What did the company do? False advertise?[/quote]
Basically GQD created accounts on this and other sites that acted as happy customers who had purchased these games from GQD and vouched for the site when they were infact members of the company, which is a pretty shaddy way to conduct buisness. Then a couple of the posts these users made gave false or misleading information on how exactly GQD had obtained these games and they refused to admit their association with the company.

At lot of people also got pissed off because they paid $40ish for these games and when everyone discovered they were reprints GQD dumped their excess supply on ebay for half the price.

They also had lousy customer service, such shipping an incorrect game to one member and then stating that he would have to ship it back at his expense to recieve the proper item.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Basically GQD created accounts on this and other sites that acted as happy customers who had purchased these games from GQD and vouched for the site when they were infact members of the company, which is a pretty shaddy way to conduct buisness. Then a couple of the posts these users made gave false or misleading information on how exactly GQD had obtained these games and they refused to admit their association with the company.

At lot of people also got pissed off because they paid $40ish for these games and when everyone discovered they were reprints GQD dumped their excess supply on ebay for half the price.

They also had lousy customer service, such shipping an incorrect game to one member and then stating that he would have to ship it back at his expense to recieve the proper item.[/QUOTE]

Oh... yeesh, well, has that company improved?

[quote name='zionoverfire']Basically GQD created accounts on this and other sites that acted as happy customers who had purchased these games from GQD and vouched for the site when they were infact members of the company, which is a pretty shaddy way to conduct buisness. Then a couple of the posts these users made gave false or misleading information on how exactly GQD had obtained these games and they refused to admit their association with the company.

They also had lousy customer service, such shipping an incorrect game to one member and then stating that he would have to ship it back at his expense to recieve the proper item.[/quote]

That is a tad off. They first went around saying how it was the one and only original copy andkept selling it for $100 they then lied over and over about where the game came from. They have lowered the price twice so far, once to $50 or so and now to about $40.

[quote name='NightNinja7']Oh... yeesh, well, has that company improved?[/quote]

No, it's gotten worse. Now they try to sell as many copies as possible at as high a price as possible before everyone figures out they reprinted it.

[quote name='zionoverfire']No, it's gotten worse. Now they try to sell as many copies as possible at as high a price as possible before everyone figures out they reprinted it.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't everyone know they are reprints though?

[quote name='NightNinja7']Doesn't everyone know they are reprints though?[/QUOTE]

If you're familiar with the company gamequestdirect, then you would know that they're reprints. However, there are a good number of people out there that have no idea what gamequestdirect is about (ie. the average ebay buyer etc.). It is not like gamequestdirect brags about how their copy of the game is a reprint and that they have 1,000,000 copies of it on their site or auction listings. They'll still list is as RARE.

Reprints kinda irk me if they happen shortly after finally track down a rare game and/or they re-release a game I paid a fortune for.
(If Panzer Dragoon Saga ever comes out as a budget title I'll kill myself! haha)

Personally, I wish game reprints would come in a new package (ala DVDs or comic books) so collectors could easily differentiate between original copies and reprints. Then everyone who wants to play the game is able to and collectors can still brag about owning an original copy.

[quote name='NightNinja7']Doesn't everyone know they are reprints though?[/quote]

The reprints look exactly like the originals and GQD always like to mention how "rare" the item is, despite the fact that it isn't rare at all anymore since they printed 100,000 new copies.

I don't care because it allows me to play some games I'd never pick up at the exorbitant prices they often go for. I do raise an eyebrow though when I see them listing games on ebay at prices much higher than they sell them for at their actual store. Then again, they're not the only store I've seen doing that...

How does it work? Do they get a license from the publisher to reprint the games themselves? Or they get the publisher to reprint the games for them exclusively? One would think that the latter has a better quality control since the publisher is directly involved.

Ah... I guess I've been at CAG a bit too long lurking >_> and know that its reprints. lol.

Anyways. I don't think GQD actually reprints anything considering its only a game store. I'm guessing it finds ways and discusses it with publishers, but I truly don't know.

I have no problem with reprints. I would actually like to see Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden 2 reprinted to see what the fuss in all about. Not really excited about Valkyrie Profile Lenneth on PSP because I would rather play it on a TV instead of the small PSP.

[quote name='MadFlava']I have no problem with reprints. I would actually like to see Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden 2 reprinted to see what the fuss in all about. Not really excited about Valkyrie Profile Lenneth on PSP because I would rather play it on a TV instead of the small PSP.[/QUOTE]

That's it in a nutshell. I almost consider it abandonware at that point, and see it as justification for bootlegging. The funny thing about low print, high quality games (or software in general) is that it takes time for popularity to build for them to reach a large audience (usually due to low to non existant marketing/promotion budgets).

This is less common in today's day and age due to the large number of media outlets covering the industry, thus games get more exposure to a larger audience. In the days of NES, SNES, and even PS1/Saturn, the market was smaller.. budgets smaller.. coverage smaller.. everything on a smaller scale. Thus, it took a longer period of time for popularity and fan base to build for a particular game.

Granted the Virtual Console is going to slash the collector's market on Ebay when it comes out.. but still, I think some company should come along and not only purchase publishing rights for obscure current gen titles, but for a myriad of systems across the board. People still own the old hardware.. granted it's a bit of a niche market, but still.. there is demand. If someone came along and reprinted Castlevania SOTN, Suikoden I & II, Valkyrie Profile, Einhander, etc., and charged $25 per copy.. I'm more than willing to bet they would consistently profit from the operation. It's literally an untapped market, where people are forced to either pay outrageous prices for a product long out of production or find other means of obtaining it.

Individual gamers on the other side of the spectrum and publishers bitch and moan about the reproduction of old software (games).. yet demand is high and supply is 0. I've actually seen old articles/interviews/stories a few times where developers are pleased about their old games being passed around through bootlegs, downloads, amateur development and modification, and the like... their work is being appreciated, where it wasn't while it was on the market due to lack of marketing and poor publishing support. People still tweak games like Worms Armageddon, Freespace 2, Jane's Flight Sims, etc.. to this very day. If they don't, it's because they still develop games and don't want to piss a publisher off. I'm willing to bet if you had a one-on-one interview with Tim Schaeffer, he'd say download the hell out of Grim Fandango or Sam & Max if you feel like it.

I have an original print of REZ.. got it when it was released. However.. if I hadn't played or owned it, I'd GLADLY pay a little bit for a reprint. It's practically the same damn thing.. and those who say otherwise are usually collectors only interested in serving their own self interests and want those dusty games on a shelf to be worth $5 more for either Ebay purposes or bragging rights in their niche community (no offense to collectors here, I can understand the hobby as I once did it.. but everybody should have an opportunity to play some of the best games ever made).

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']They are not good for collectors who want to make a profit off a game./quote]

I hate people like that. These are typically the same people who have multiple copies of sealed games like Lunar and Panzer Dragoon Saga, and it pains me that superb games like that will never be played.

[quote name='Skylander7']
Granted the Virtual Console is going to slash the collector's market on Ebay when it comes out..
[/quote]

No, it isn't. ROMs have been around for a long time; people pay exorbitant costs to have a cartridge in their hands.

[quote name='rolleyes']No, it isn't. ROMs have been around for a long time; people pay exorbitant costs to have a cartridge in their hands.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about you, but I always like to have a hard copy of a game on hand instead of a disc image.

[quote name='MadFlava']I have no problem with reprints. I would actually like to see Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden 2 reprinted to see what the fuss in all about. Not really excited about Valkyrie Profile Lenneth on PSP because I would rather play it on a TV instead of the small PSP.[/quote]
I agree that both should be reprinted, even though I own VP:L.
But in reality, I can't see VP being reprinted for the fact that Square Enix has the rights to it, and wants to push the sales for the PSP version.
However, I feel that Suikoden 2 has a chance (But the PSP version is coming out, so I have no idea.)

[quote name='Gameboy415']Reprints kinda irk me if they happen shortly after finally track down a rare game and/or they re-release a game I paid a fortune for.
(If Panzer Dragoon Saga ever comes out as a budget title I'll kill myself! haha)

Personally, I wish game reprints would come in a new package (ala DVDs or comic books) so collectors could easily differentiate between original copies and reprints. Then everyone who wants to play the game is able to and collectors can still brag about owning an original copy.[/QUOTE]

Who in their right mind would brag about owning the original copy of a video game.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']
However, I feel that Suikoden 2 has a chance (But the PSP version is coming out, so I have no idea.)[/QUOTE]

ahhh.....
Suikoden I&II for the psp is coming out in the US?
huh?
Where did you heard that from?
I don't recall hearing an official announcement from any of the videogames websites that I visit daily.
Hopefully, it is true though.

[quote name='wbc1228']ahhh.....
Suikoden I&II for the psp is coming out in the US?
huh?
Where did you heard that from?
I don't recall hearing an official announcement from any of the videogames websites that I visit daily.
Hopefully, it is true though.[/quote]
I was told in the Disgaea PSP thread it was. So I'm not sure.

That's it in a nutshell. I almost consider it abandonware at that point, and see it as justification for bootlegging.

You just want to justify bootlegging it but neither game is abandonware at all. Both games are still financially profitable for their respective companies in terms of ports or possible future ports, as Valkyrie Profile is selling well on PSP and Suikoden 2 might make it stateside.

I am a collector and I own both Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden 2, however I have nothing against reprints and actually like it because it discourages game scalping. That being said, I think it is underhanded for companies to sell reprints as originals. I think distinctions should be made between the two because there are some collectors that prefer an original pressing versus reprints.

Seconded on the last point. I am a collector and I fully support reprints as long as there is some distinction from the original just like there is for Sports Cards and Comic Books.

I'm fine with reprints, however they must have a major distinction from the original copy. As both a gamer and a collector, I believe I should be rewarded for buying the original. The original art should be for the collector, the re-released art should be for the gamer.

This got me to thinking, is there any differences between the original and reprint of Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure? Because I just got a used one, and am just wondering.

Well well, this thread has me thinking. I agree with just about everything Skylander7 stated. But, xghostniperx's comment on how they have to have a major distinction from the oringal copy? Maybe this is the gamer side of me ( I know longer collect, if I want to get money, there are smarter and easier ways :D ) but, that shouldnt matter. I sure wish they would re-release some of those games that are so rare, I too would like to see what the hype is all about. We shouldnt have to pay so much just because there isnt many out there. Rewared for buying the orginal? Uhhh...No >.> , its not our fault we were born after the release or end of production of some of those rare games. If you bought it then and there, Yeah for you, so your saying we should recieve a crappier version since the orginal is stuck at its price point?

I despise ROM's, not the fact that there somewhat illegal, but its just wrong. I would rather play the game it was meant to be played, as thats what the developer had intended. They didnt want it to be played on a PC or of that sort, with codes and hacked save states. That kinda defeats the purpose of the save points, you see where I'm going?

Collecting Video Games? I dont really see the point. Well I mean if your just collecting for playing thats great...its kinda what you have to do, unless you want to rent games. But collecting for the sake of income? Thats stupid, VG's arent a great source of income, take some classes on business and investment, you would be surprised.

..thats enough of my ranting

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']This got me to thinking, is there any differences between the original and reprint of Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure? Because I just got a used one, and am just wondering.[/QUOTE]

No differences.
They're the same.
(They only difference is that new copies of original psx games have a sticker on the top with a hologram.)

I'm fine with reprints, however they must have a major distinction from the original copy. As both a gamer and a collector, I believe I should be rewarded for buying the original. The original art should be for the collector, the re-released art should be for the gamer.

Why should you be rewarded? I don't think there should be any kind of major distinction. Something small somewhere noting that this is a reprinting is fine. When comic books are reprintered, there's just a small note that tells you if it is an original run or a reprint. The reward for buying a game when it first comes out is that you get to play it sooner and when it is a current generation title.

If gamesdirect or whatever didn't exist, games would only be reprinted as ports to current gen consoles as anthology collections or budget titles (NES Classics, Xbox Live Arcade, Capcom Classics, etc.). This makes it less of an issue since gamesdirect is an exception to the market, not the standard.

they should just print enough to begin with and do away with rare video games

Console publishing finances are more complicated than PC ones. Third party developers have to pay much more money to publish games than first party ones so it isn't financially logical to print copies that you aren't sure will sell.

I agree with just about everything Skylander7 stated.

I agree with almost none of it.

While there DEFINITELY should be a distinction between the reprints, there never will be. Why? Because then the GameQuestDirect couldn't use deception to make a profit. Without the deception they aren't able to pass them off as originals, thus making the HUGE profits at the beginning. That is where they make there profits. They wouldn't make much selling them at the $29.99 Gamestop does.

Though i will say this. Persona 2 seems to have made some sort of recovery in value. Nowhere near what it once was but definitely more than when it was re-released and for awhile after. I haven't seen that in Rhapsody though.

bread's done
Back