Do we respect our veterans too much?

[quote name='berzirk']I think all it means is I'm discovering I am superior over some people. Before, I used to think everyone is special in their own way, but as the sample size expands, I realize that is a lie.

So just to be clear, when you say that I'm ranting about how we shouldn't respect vets, and I called you to point out where I said we shouldn't respect them and you failed to do so, it's safe to assume I never actually said don't respect vets?

Apology accepted.[/QUOTE]

Go back and read my statements and point out where I said this.

Go ahead I will wait.

In the meantime, in the context of every one of my statements, I was talking in terms of bringing them on the level of every other job that you believe doesn't get respected enough.

I mean you said it enough, regular difficult jobs don't get any respect, so one of two things have to happen. You give veterans less respect or you respect other jobs more.

So where have I said you can't respect other jobs more than you do now? 99% of my posts have been that you shouldn't respect veterans less, because other professions being difficult do not devalue these jobs in the military.

Reading comphrension for the win. Amiright?

[quote name='berzirk']I think all it means is I'm discovering I am superior over some people. Before, I used to think everyone is special in their own way, but as the sample size expands, I realize that is a lie.

So just to be clear, when you say that I'm ranting about how we shouldn't respect vets, and I called you to point out where I said we shouldn't respect them and you failed to do so, it's safe to assume I never actually said don't respect vets?

Apology accepted.[/QUOTE]

Go back and read my statements and point out where I said this.

Go ahead I will wait.

In the meantime, in the context of every one of my statements, I was talking in terms of bringing them on the level of every other job that you believe doesn't get respected enough.

I mean you said it enough, regular difficult jobs don't get any respect, so one of two things have to happen. You give veterans less respect or you respect other jobs more.

So where have I said you can't respect other jobs more than you do now? 99% of my posts have been that you shouldn't respect veterans less, because other professions being difficult do not devalue these jobs in the military.

Reading comprehension for the win. Amiright?

As for the "what have you done for me lately" aspect of your posts. Let me ask you, if I said that our veterans who were in the active military very recently were fighting and working for the interests of our country as a whole, and deserve our thanks. What would be your response?

[quote name='Msut77']George Carlin had a line:
“Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

I happen to believe the vast majority of people can understand any number of complicated topics if you find the right way to explain it to them.

However close to a decade (holy crap) here has taught me there are some people who you cannot help.

It takes a special kind of stupid to come to a place for arguing and then wage ideological jihad to tank anything resembling a discussion.[/QUOTE]

Oh I am sorry I interrupted your circle jerk of who pisses you off more. Such an enthralling "discussion".

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Knoell']Go back and read my statements and point out where I said this.

Go ahead I will wait.

Reading comprehension for the win. Amiright?

As for the "what have you done for me lately" aspect of your posts. Let me ask you, if I said that our veterans who were in the active military very recently were fighting and working for the interests of our country as a whole, and deserve our thanks. What would be your response?

Oh I am sorry I interrupted your circle jerk of who pisses you off more. Such an enthralling "discussion".[/QUOTE]

Holy fuck man! You said as much on this same fucking page!!!

I quote:
I am criticizing his point that these people aren't deserving of our respect because they haven't done anything lately thats worthy of it

You are criticizing the imaginary point that vets aren't deserving of our respect. I've never said we shouldn't respect them. AGAIN, your apology is accepted.

I was going to edit out the rest of the comments, but in your post, you are effectively outing yourself for boldly lying about what I said, and trying to walk your comments back, or all of the sudden offer context (since apparently directly quoting me and replying wasn't contextual enough for you to state these caveats on any earlier reply).

Personally, I'm very opposed to the current wars. I know one thing, they damn sure aren't fighting for my freedom. A current enlistee, with other viable career options present, electing to enlist now, is basically saying they want to go to war. That's a fascinating choice to make, considering the last time a less popular war took place, it was in Vietnam, with a bunch of kids pulled out of America through the draft.

If you enlist during a war, it's fair to say at the very least you tacitly approve of the war, while it would be pretty easy to argue you entirely support the war. So am I thankful of the recent vets going to Iraq and Afghanistan? No, not at all. I think it was a bad decision IF they had other career options present. Do I respect them as individuals for doing an undesirable job? Sure. Just as much as doctors without borders, charity/aid workers in war torn and dangerous areas, and others in similar situations.

Yah msut and I agree politically on so much. I was just bracing for the popshot. It had been too long. Der, der, der.

[quote name='berzirk']Holy fuck man! You said as much on this same fucking page!!!

I quote:

You are criticizing the imaginary point that vets aren't deserving of our respect. I've never said we shouldn't respect them. AGAIN, your apology is accepted.

I was going to edit out the rest of the comments, but in your post, you are effectively outing yourself for boldly lying about what I said, and trying to walk your comments back, or all of the sudden offer context (since apparently directly quoting me and replying wasn't contextual enough for you to state these caveats on any earlier reply).
.[/QUOTE]

It is misinterpretations like this that get your guys panties in such a bunch. You think this is a gotcha moment, but it is just your lack of reading comprehension which ironically you made fun of ME for lacking.

Let me say again, I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU THINK VETS SHOULD GET THE SAME LEVEL OF RESPECT AS NORMAL PROFESSIONS.

To accomplish this, you either have to REDUCE the level of respect you give veterans, or give those civilian professions MORE respect.

I identified which I have a problem with.

It is funny that I have to explain this in such detail when your god damn thread title is "Do we respect our veterans too much?"

As for the rest of your post, as you and I both know, our Military does exponentially more then simply "go to war". However if you can't see past that, then you aren't worth debating this with. You give veterans however much respect your little heart desires and I will do the same.

[quote name='berzirk']

Personally, I'm very opposed to the current wars. I know one thing, they damn sure aren't fighting for my freedom. A current enlistee, with other viable career options present, electing to enlist now, is basically saying they want to go to war. That's a fascinating choice to make, considering the last time a less popular war took place, it was in Vietnam, with a bunch of kids pulled out of America through the draft.

If you enlist during a war, it's fair to say at the very least you tacitly approve of the war, while it would be pretty easy to argue you entirely support the war. [/QUOTE]

You don't say?

So did I or didn't I say we shouldn't respect vets? Out of all the posts I've made in this thread, it seems like it would be pretty easy to point to one where I say we shouldn't respect them, if I ever said that. So were you lying? Did you misunderstand? Did you get confused?

Did you keep repeating the falsehood or misunderstanding, even after I told you I said no such thing? I can answer that one. Yes, yes you did.

So for the good people here, did I ever say we shouldn't respect vets? Do tell.

[quote name='berzirk']So did I or didn't I say we shouldn't respect vets? Out of all the posts I've made in this thread, it seems like it would be pretty easy to point to one where I say we shouldn't respect them, if I ever said that. So were you lying? Did you misunderstand? Did you get confused?

Did you keep repeating the falsehood or misunderstanding, even after I told you I said no such thing? I can answer that one. Yes, yes you did.

So for the good people here, did I ever say we shouldn't respect vets? Do tell.[/QUOTE]

You keep whining about this point. I explained what I meant. You not accepting my clarification of what I meant is both dishonest and disingenious to the discussion.

I allowed you to clarify what you meant multiple times, even though you have said some pretty ridiculous things.

Clearly you don't understand how to discuss something as you are so hung up on this so called gotcha moment, that you have abandoned all other aspects of your argument.

[quote name='GBAstar']You don't say?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I let that one go, but so many flaws in his arguments and only so little time to address them.

[quote name='Knoell']You keep whining about this point. I explained what I meant. You not accepting my clarification of what I meant is both dishonest and disingenious to the discussion.

I allowed you to clarify what you meant multiple times, even though you have said some pretty ridiculous things.

Clearly you don't understand how to discuss something as you are so hung up on this so called gotcha moment, that you have abandoned all other aspects of your argument.[/QUOTE]

I have repeatedly said we shouldn't worship veterans or make a tier of respect for them that nobody else can share because they are neither better nor worse than other people, just because they are vets.

...So you lied, or so badly twisted my words that you lied...and I'm dishonest. Or, we could even say you misinterpreted my words, I corrected you, you didn't accept the explanation of my own words...in my own words, so now you'd rather move on because these "gotcha games" aren't helping anyone. Got it. Good talk.

The monkey was working overtime. Buy him a banana split, on me.

[quote name='berzirk']I have repeatedly said we shouldn't worship veterans or make a tier of respect for them that nobody else can share because they are neither better nor worse than other people, just because they are vets.

...So you lied, or so badly twisted my words that you lied...and I'm dishonest. Or, we could even say you misinterpreted my words, I corrected you, you didn't accept the explanation of my own words...in my own words, so now you'd rather move on because these "gotcha games" aren't helping anyone. Got it. Good talk.

The monkey was working overtime. Buy him a banana split, on me.[/QUOTE]

Really?? Really??? This has to be a joke. I have accepted "your own words" and tore them a new one. You consistently went on and on that I "misinterpreted you", you never went deeper into your reasoning of why you believe this, you kept crying that I accused you of something that I told you I clearly didn't mean. It isn't my fault you are too arrogant to accept it, and that you would rather play the "gotcha" game than actually discuss this.

Like I said, you respect whoever you want, and the rest of America will respect whoever they deem worthy. They deem the brave Men and Women of the Armed Forces worthy of their respect, and their reasoning is far more complex than you will ever understand.

[quote name='Knoell']is.[/QUOTE]

You're so cute when you're mad.

I quoted the strongest part of your whole post, which I interpret to mean you "hate the Jews, and slavery never happened". Now explain to me how you never said that, while I disregard it and keep re-posting the same thing.

Your play.

[quote name='berzirk']You're so cute when you're mad.

I quoted the strongest part of your whole post, which I interpret to mean you "hate the Jews, and slavery never happened". Now explain to me how you never said that, while I disregard it and keep re-posting the same thing.

Your play.[/QUOTE]

Hey are you ready for this? Are you sure? Listen closely.....for the hundreth time.

I UNDERSTAND YOU STILL THINK WE SHOULD RESPECT OUR VETERANS.

Your point which is in the damn title, is that we respect them too much. I disagree. I don't think you have any degree of insight into the minds of those people who appreciate veterans, and don't have any right or justification to doubt their sincerity or reasoning. Let people respect who they want, (even if it embarresses you, poor guy :cry: ) and you decide to respect who you respect.

Edit: As for special entitlements or programs teachers/professors, police, fireman, most of any type of public service career has similar entitlements and benefits.

And I'm not mad, as always I find this forum entertaining.

And who keeps going on and on about the same thing? Who's posts are these?

Damn, I've been outed. My cousin, two co-workers, and now 4 friends on Facebook who are all active duty or vets, clearly misrepresented their experience to me. I'd blame them, but I worship them so much for being vets, that I think it's technically sacrilege. Shame on you for not agreeing with them.

You have now directly questioned the integrity of a veteran. I believe the sentence is death. Quick, move to Canada! And godspeed.

I forgot why I made the rule of don't reply to Knoell posts. It usually goes something like "If A+B=C, then C-A=...a Martian banana!"
I think all it means is I'm discovering I am superior over some people. Before, I used to think everyone is special in their own way, but as the sample size expands, I realize that is a lie.

Apology accepted.

If you enlist during a war, it's fair to say at the very least you tacitly approve of the war, while it would be pretty easy to argue you entirely support the war. So am I thankful of the recent vets going to Iraq and Afghanistan? No, not at all. I think it was a bad decision IF they had other career options present. Do I respect them as individuals for doing an undesirable job? Sure. Just as much as doctors without borders, charity/aid workers in war torn and dangerous areas, and others in similar situations.

Yah msut and I agree politically on so much. I was just bracing for the popshot. It had been too long. Der, der, der.

So did I or didn't I say we shouldn't respect vets? Out of all the posts I've made in this thread, it seems like it would be pretty easy to point to one where I say we shouldn't respect them, if I ever said that. So were you lying? Did you misunderstand? Did you get confused?

So for the good people here, did I ever say we shouldn't respect vets? Do tell.

I have repeatedly said we shouldn't worship veterans or make a tier of respect for them that nobody else can share because they are neither better nor worse than other people, just because they are vets.

The monkey was working overtime. Buy him a banana split, on me.

[quote name='berzirk']:applause:[/QUOTE]

It only took you 12 posts to understand, and a complete ignorance of the rest of the discussion.

[quote name='Knoell']It only took you 12 posts to understand, and a complete ignorance of the rest of the discussion.[/QUOTE]
:cry:

bread's done
Back