Do you buy mediocre games if the price is right?

joe50000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I see a lot of deals here for games that I really don't care about and have only heard bad things of, but are at a good price point. I for one believe that the price tag comes off when you're playing it - meaning that my enjoyment of games isn't dictated to by the price. Although I do search for bargains, because I figure, why pay $50 when you can play it later for only $20 (or less?) - besides, I have a huge backlog of games to play in the meantime. I"ve passed on Devil May Cry 2, Blood Will Tell, PN03, Nighshade, etc etc. I see why most people would get them for collecting purposes, but I honestly just enjoy playing my games.

This thread has been posted sooo many times... we all buy cheap games, hence the name. Most of us do buy mediocre games if the price is right. I dont mean to be a jerk, but theres a search feature, Im sure you could locate atleast one of the threads.

Yea...just to try them...or because it's from a company I like. I'm gonna buy Samurai Musashi Legend when it drops to $20 just because it's Squeenix.

All the time... I used to just buy Gamecube games (mostly Nintendo) for full price ($50) and the occasional PS2 game (like GTA).

But now that GC, Xbox and PS2 are at their end of their life cycles, a whole bunch of great deals have popped up. Whereas before I couldn't justify spending for a $50 for a "rental" game but at $10 or $15, I'm more then happy to add it to my collection.

It's come to a point where I have so many games, I can never make up my mind which one to devote my time to - so I have stacks of sealed games due to this indecision. Whereas before I would plunk down $50 and devote my life to one game for a few weeks. It's been both a blessing and curse.

I rarely buy any games for more than $20. If a game is under $3, I will most likely give it a shot if I haven't tried it or perhaps another shot if I've barely tried it. Additionally, If I know I can sell a game for at least the price I paid I will often buy it (whether I've played it and/or liked it or not). Some games like that I've turned out to really like.

If it looks and sounds good then I will give it a try. Especially if it is from a company that I like, in that instance I will buy it no matter how crappy it is.

I used to buy every $5 or less DC or PS1 game I could find... but, then you have 100+ games sitting there that you never want to play.

So, now I only have around 20 XBox games that were around $10. ;)

I used to buy almost any game if it was $5 less. Now having about a third of my collection being games either still sealed or virtually unplayed I've been more selective. Now my rule of thumb is that I consider a game worth it if for every dollar spent on it, I can expect a minimum a half-hour worth of decent play from it.

I buy mediocre games...or games that are "fun, but not mindblowing" for cheap. Got jet set radio future for $3 yesterday, which is a great deal imo. but no, i won't pick up drake just cause it's 99 cents.

I always ask myself if a game is $5 or less:

Would I rent this game?

If the answer is yes, I buy it, even though I don't rent games anymore.

Yes I have bought many shitty games at low prices just to add more shit to my collection, its a drug, Im addicted, shut up!

Yes I'll buy cheap games, but then sometime later I may get rid of them. I have this constant struggle with my collection of trying to have games I want to have, and just keeping games to pad my collection. I also have issues with having more games for one console than another, i.e. I want to have more DC games than PS2 games (just because Sega rules and all), and I currently do, but my PS2 collection will soon overtake the DC collection. So now I'm looking for DC games I don't have.

Dont mind paying 3 bucks or less for some games, I know if I eventually do not like them, I can get my money back and more by selling or trading it

I bought Dead to Rights for like $0.70 at the Toys R Us Green Tag Sale. Totally mediocre game, you just keep killing waves of bad guys over and over, but I like it, and I will not play anything else on consoles until I win it. Almost there to. My backlog is just getting too big. Over winter break I decided to change my strategy on the 40+ unfinished games I have, so I have been playing them one at a time until I win them. Since December (and I am in law school too, so I have maybe an hour every day or two to play), I have finished GTA3, GTA Vice City, ZOE 2, and Metal Gear SOlid Twin Snakes. Dead to Rights now, then I move on to either Metroid Prime or GTA SA or Resident Evil 4.

No. I dont generally buy games just to get em. Unless the game is under $3 and not on EBs exclusion list ill buy. Other i only buy that only select titles.

I used to, but like others in this thread, I have too many unplayed games so I am also more selective. If I have any interest in a game even if it got bad reviews, if it's $5 or less I will probably still get it.

I'll buy alot of games is they're cheap enough. But then there are games that are soo bad, that they don't even warrent me touching them (Drake, Aquaman, and Dinotopia come to mind). Now, I'll drive 40 miles for the right $1.99/$5/70% sale. ^_^

I'll buy cheap games as long as I'm interested in them. I buy for my taste, so there's no magical price point where crap becomes something I want to buy. I see it happen more than it should, but it's their money, and I have no reason to tell them how to spend it unless they ask.

I'm usually a sucker for anything under $5. I play it as soon as I can to see if I like it. If not, it goes straight to the trade-in pile for the next big trade-in deal.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I used to, but like others in this thread, I have too many unplayed games so I am also more selective. If I have any interest in a game even if it got bad reviews, if it's $5 or less I will probably still get it.[/QUOTE]

That pretty much sums it up for me. The only exception is racing games. I'm a sucker for them so I'll almost always pick up any current-gen racer I see that's under $10.

bread's done
Back