Do you ever feel like selling off your Collection/pile of shame and starting over?!

Zerostatic

CAGiversary!
My last gen (Xbox, GC, PS2) pile of shame (i.e. good games that I haven't played/beaten yet) has been getting larger and larger this year as those games have been getting cheaper and cheaper. At one point I was happy looking at my collection with pride but nowadays I am starting to feel overwhelmed with more games (I have over 200 last gen games and over half I've hardly even played) then I'll ever have time to finish. Also I keep on telling myself to hold off on playing newer games for my PS3 and Wii because I have so many older games that I need to finish first and it's gotten to the point where it feels more like a job then having fun. This E3 really showed that to me, because while everybody was excited for games like Fallout 3, RE 5, Little Big Planet, Mad World, etc. I was just thinking "Man, I wish I could play those games, but I have too many last gen games I have to play first."

Well anyways, recently I decided that I'm going to take the weight off my shoulders and sell my entire last gen collection (except for Gamecube cuz that is my official party machine) and I'll use those proceeds to pick up current gen games that I have missed out on.

Anyways, my question is, have any of you done what I am about to do? Did you regret it?

I haven't done that, because I know I'd regret it. I mean, I've sold a lot of games from prior generations and haven't missed them a bit, but selling the really good stuff from last gen? That's kinda dumb. You'd almost definitely regret that.

Sell away my friend and never look back. I was in your shoes before. I had around 100 PS2 games alone and I really did not even want to play most of them. They just sat there and I looked at them everyday... until I sold them.

The only stuff I kept was stuff that meant something to me.
Now, after joining CAG, it looks like it's building up on me again because of these great deals...

I think you're confusing your "pile of shame" with "good games you haven't played." There are very few games that need to be played from the previous generation (unless you just plan on gaming a generation behind, which is certainly fine, though it doesn't sound like you like that idea), which means any "pile" you have growing is full of stuff you're never gonna be bothered with.

If you can't see yourself ever playing a last gen gem over a current/future AAA title, then you might as well just sell everything off. But bear in mind that you might just be selling better games than you'll be buying. Not to mention saving money.

I almost sold off a huge chunk of my collection last year but first I asked my friends and they were the ones that told me not to. Since then, my collection has grown by another 30%.

Personally, I wouldn't sell off my last gen games. I used to get really bothered by all of my games I haven't played yet, and slightly depressed thinking about all the money I spent on them, (though most were under $5), but I was thinking about it the wrong way. The games aren't a chore or a job, and you don't have to finish them all. They're simply there to play, and if I don't get around to playing kotor 2 because I'm rocking through blue dragon or mass effect, then that's fine. It won't disappear, it'll still be there when im done. If you're not having fun, then don't do it. If it's really upsetting you, then sell them, but if it's just about wanting to play the newest and hottest titles, then play those first and play through the backlog if you get time and if you want to. Right now i'm playing a lot of my xbox titles that i never got around to (Darkwatch was surprisingly good) but as soon as Fallout 3 comes out, they're all going on the backburner again.

Not with my games, but my dvd collection. If anyone wants a big box of dvds (including a few blu-ray / hd-dvds) let me know. :lol:

[quote name='Maklershed']Not with my games, but my dvd collection. If anyone wants a big box of dvds (including a few blu-ray / hd-dvds) let me know. :lol:[/quote]
you're giving them away? if so then i asked first.

I'm trying to get rid of all these damn XBOX games I planned on playing when I was recovering from surgery...all I have to say is 3 years later is that Viccodin is a hell of a drug.

the question is will you play these games? if they are eventually going to be played, maybe several years from now even, then i think it's worth keeping them. if not, sell sell sell

Well, my brother sold both his Sega Saturn, and Dreamcast with al the games, and he hasn't missed them. He had alot of RARE games too like Radiant Silvergun, Panzer Dragoon saga, shining Force 3, ect..... the Money helped him to buy a x-box 360 and later a PS3.

I have sold off a huge collection, and every once in a while I do a little slash n' burn on stuff I haven't/won't play for a while. Only games I've regretted selling were expensive Atlus games (and flukes that got expensive like FFVII.) I occasionally get back in the mood for a game and I have no problem rebuying it.

A huge collection of videogames looks like nothing but a huge pile of work to me. and a nerd badge that I just don't need to have people judging me by (and yeah, if they were truly cool people they wouldn't do that...but there aren't many cool people, ya know?)

i'm surprised more cheapassgamers don't follow the rule of not buying a new game until you're finished with all of your other games.

it both helps you avoid a pile of shame, and it helps save you money. cause obviously, the longer you can go without buying a game, the cheaper they become.

and for me, if a game i want is coming out shortly, i'll go out of my way to avoid getting any other games started. or if i do, i'll put myself on a schedule to make sure i beat it before the next game comes out.

[quote name='buttle']i'm surprised more cheapassgamers don't follow the rule of not buying a new game until you're finished with all of your other games.
[/quote]

the site's name is a little misleading. we buy cheap games, but in larger quantities. we end up spending more money. the site should be renamed to getmoreforyourmoneyassgamer.com

I had the same problem (not with nearly as many games as you have though), and I decided to sell off everything except for AAA titles and a few unique games I really wanted to play. I still have a small backlog, but I don't really feel overwhelmed anymore and don't have a problem with buying newer games either.

So my advice to you is to go through your games, pick about 5-10 games from each system that you really want to keep, and then sell the rest. In the future, you could always rebuy any games that you sold and want to play.

I never sell my games, unless they are really not my taste. I traded in a PSP and regretted it big time, probably the main reason for it.

I would keep the games you have right now, but buy at a slower pace in the future. I used to have the same problem with backlogging, but now that I buy a game only after I beat a game I enjoy my games much more because I do not have the pressure to rush through and beat the games. Sure I will miss out on a few stellar deals, but the joy of being dedicated exclusively to one game, makes it worth it.

Normally, if you don't need the money, and you bought games that you think you'll enjoy eventually, I would say save them. I think that works for 90% of people (maybe more).

My interpretation of your post puts you inot the 10% or less that should sell it. First off, gaming is not work, and it shouldn't be seen that way. I know I thought of it as a huge project too, my solution was just to play what I wanted. So, if I buy something cheap and I don't play it for 6 months, I don't feel bad. If I wake up and want to play Super Mario Galaxy again, I will, even if I've beaten it, and I have 10 unbeaten games waiting for time.

But, you've gone further. You would rather play the games coming out, but you are depressed that you have to get through these other games. You don't have to, and if you dodn't want to, just unload the ones you won't have time for (even if it's at a loss), just so you don't feel that way.

I think selling a few of those games will be such a relief, that you can enjoy your hobby again.

So, in short, sell the games and get excited for LBP.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I indeed decided to trim down my collection. I went through my 200+ last gen collection and took out about 70 titles that I wanted to keep. The rest I traded in at Estarland. With the credit I got a dual shock 3 and 9 PS3 games that I had wanted but skipped out on due to my huge backlog. The games I got were Metal Gear Solid 4, Oblivion, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank Future, Burnout Paradise, Resistance, The Darkness, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Assassin's Creed. I still have about $180 dollars of credit as well.

I feel a lot better and more excited then I did when I had shelf after shelf of games like Cold Fear, Hunter: The Reckoning, Lost Kingdoms, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Summoner, etc. looking back at me. BTW, I can't wait to play Metal Gear Solid 4 !!!!

Yeah I sold off about 25% of my games recently. I sold PS1 games that are a chore to play through (mostly JRPGs) but were highly regarded. I figured I'd play them eventually, but I never did.

My advice is to sell everything except your favorites, you can always buy them back.

i got rid of some of my older pc games [fable, max payne, condemned, etc...] and will probably get rid of them all by the end of this year. i wish gamestop would have bought used pc games.

i plan on getting rid of some of the ds games i have like tomb raider legends and gunpey.

i have some older systems like my n64 which i will not sell them because i worked hard in high school trying to buy the system and games. therefore theres some sort of meaning for me. they're all complete too, so it would be a big loss selling it now.

Good job OP! I say the best thing to do is really just to ask yourself if you WANT to play the game. If you want to play the game you will even if its at some point down the road. If you just look at it on the shelf and have no desire to start it then get rid of it. I think sometimes you just pick up something because people say its good or you see it and want it...not because you actually want to play it. I say the less the better at this point (yet I still have some of a backlog lol!).

The only old games I keep are stuff that I think my future kids would like. I have an N64, Game Gear, and a ton of games that I can just let them play and not worry about. The new stuff is all mine.

[quote name='Chacrana']If your future kids have any sense, they'll hate both the N64 and the Game Gear.[/quote]
It's important to give them a sense of perspective. What kind of spoiled brats would they be starting off with HD graphics?

I did this about 5 years ago. I sold my entire video game collection (about 250 games spanning over 6 or 7 systems) Got $2,500 for it and used it to buy a car. I saved only 10 - 15 games for PS2 & PS1.

Now I have about 200 games again. But I try not to have a huge dusty collection. If I see a game I haven't play for a while and can't think of a good reason to keep it I'll throw it on my tradelist, Goozex or eBay. I never bring game into Gamestop anymore.

[quote name='Rodimus']I did this about 5 years ago. I sold my entire video game collection (about 250 games spanning over 6 or 7 systems) Got $2,500 for it and used it to buy a car. I saved only 10 - 15 games for PS2 & PS1.

Now I have about 200 games again. But I try not to have a huge dusty collection. If I see a game I haven't play for a while and can't think of a good reason to keep it I'll throw it on my tradelist, Goozex or eBay. I never bring game into Gamestop anymore.[/quote]

gamestop is annoying as they give you a crap amount of return for a game. but the one thing i find intollerable when selling or trading your games is that sometimes you don't have the time to deal with emails and all those constant chats for the sell or trade. because of that you end up just trading it with gamestop.

[quote name='Rodimus']I did this about 5 years ago. I sold my entire video game collection (about 250 games spanning over 6 or 7 systems) Got $2,500 for it and used it to buy a car. I saved only 10 - 15 games for PS2 & PS1.

Now I have about 200 games again. But I try not to have a huge dusty collection. If I see a game I haven't play for a while and can't think of a good reason to keep it I'll throw it on my tradelist, Goozex or eBay. I never bring game into Gamestop anymore.[/QUOTE]

That's an excellent price. I'd definitely sell all my games if I could get an average of $10 each. I sell games constantly and rarely ever regret it because I can generally buy any game I've sold for a cheaper price at a later time, I'm not dumb enough to sell things for ridiculously low prices.

I've never built a pile of shame, but I did sell off a handfull of games I hadn't finished and a couple I'd never started when I sold off all my last gen stuff the past couple of years.

Even that I won't do again as I'm being strict about not building any backlog from now on and doing well do to being busy, losing a little interest in games and playing more online which stretches replay value and keeps down the need to buy new games.

[quote name='botticus']It's important to give them a sense of perspective. What kind of spoiled brats would they be starting off with HD graphics?[/QUOTE]

Well, I'd think most kids now would be starting off with HD systems...

but I called out the N64 and Game Gear because they suck. If kids need a sense of perspective, they should be playing the SNES, PS1, etc.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']gamestop is annoying as they give you a crap amount of return for a game. but the one thing i find intollerable when selling or trading your games is that sometimes you don't have the time to deal with emails and all those constant chats for the sell or trade. because of that you end up just trading it with gamestop.[/quote]

Not me bro. I make time to get the best price I can for my used games. I guess being a CAG for so long you learn the tricks of the trade. Plus eBay and Goozex are there if you don't want the e-mail hassle.

Not trading a game to GS feels like I'm in AA. 3 years and and still GS free. :beer:

I generally end up taking the current gen games and trading them among coworkers and friends rather than give them back to Gamestop (greedy bastards), but after a system's become obsolete, I tend to go back to eBay and find the few AAA titles I may have missed (there weren't many for the Dreamcast I missed, and the PS2 is my current "last gen" system I try to find good deals on games that have slipped under my radar).

So in effect, I almost never sell games back or on any sort of list, because I have usually acquired them used after the dust has settled anyway.

I suspect at some point I'll donate my Gamecube games to some kid with a Wii, but that's pretty much the only system I've not got very many games for (mostly due to already having them on the PS2). I'd like to finish the few RPGs I have on the 'cube, but I'm not in a hurry to do much anything... for me, it's a hobby of varying levels. On one hand, it's about collecting the sets of games that make up a series (or close to them), and on the other, it's about enjoying them with no pressure of "got to finish before game X comes out."

Realistically, I've got more games than I can complete before I die (or the devices I play them on die), but I've never been in the race to complete everything. :) Once I finish an RPG, I like to go back and flesh out all the sidequests I missed, and so I'm never truly done (with Oblivion, I spent better part of a year on it and its various expansions... now THAT is how you wring value out of a $60+ title!) And I think there are still some sidequests in the Shivering Isles I never finished. ;)

So my pile (stacks sound more organized) "of shame" is more about my tidiness than my amount of games... and I'm not interested in changing that habit anytime soon either. I am organized in my disorganization, and attempts to rectify that have met with disaster in the past, so why bother? :D

My advice is to stop looking at the stack of games as a task or chore to get through... and the desire to "start over" will melt away... (I mean, you may want to fire up an older title once in a while... I know I do.)

I would suspect that it has nothing specifically to do with actual selling, just the philosophy behind a large game collection. If he were selling a game, sure, I'd agree... but as it stands, at least as I see it, the discussion's nebulous.

And thus, general non-denominational fun. ;)

bread's done
Back