Do you have a job?

No, international student who can't get a work visa= no hope for job. Then again, I make more on ebay than I did when I was actually employed, so I guess that could count.

I'm a box office technician at a movie theater. Its really lame, but due to my current situation (use of only one leg, other had a tumor and must remain elevated) I have few options.

I also work part-time as a lab TA.

I wouldn't say it's fun... but, the job is incredibly easy, and pays quite well.

I work part time, and though my job is easy it's incredibly boring and doesn't pay much at all. Hopefully when I graduate relatively soon I can actually start earning some true spending money.

Yeah, I work after school for a Certified Personal Assistant. Which is to say, I'm an assitant's assistant. It's pretty boring, but I can work (or not work) whenever I want, and for a 17-year-old, the pay is great.

I work part-time as a pizza delivery driver. The pay for the most part sucks, especially since I work at probably the least busy pizza place in the town I live in and a fair amount of my income comes from tips.

[quote name='onetrackmind']yep... graphic designer[/QUOTE]

Are you a freelance designer or work for a firm... Just asking because that's what I want to do when I'm old enough.

Right now I work for the rents book store... Don't know if that counts. Also do some graphic design projects for friends/people that request it.

[quote name='clockworkvictim']Are you a freelance designer or work for a firm... Just asking because that's what I want to do when I'm old enough.

Right now I work for the rents book store... Don't know if that counts. Also do some graphic design projects for friends/people that request it.[/QUOTE]

Right now i work for a company where i'm the only graphic designer. I take care of flyers, posters, advertisments, catalogs, basically all that stuff. I dont really get to be creative because i ahve to do what they want. SO also long as you can handle critism and are cool with not being able to use your ideas all the time youll be just fine.

I'm trying to get some freelance stuff going but its tough when you dont have any contacts (i just graduated college 6 months ago so i'm still new to everything)

But good luck bro, if its any concern to you, graphic designers dont make much money at all. But if you like what you do it should matter.

[quote name='onetrackmind']Right now i work for a company where i'm the only graphic designer. I take care of flyers, posters, advertisments, catalogs, basically all that stuff. I dont really get to be creative because i ahve to do what they want. SO also long as you can handle critism and are cool with not being able to use your ideas all the time youll be just fine.

I'm trying to get some freelance stuff going but its tough when you dont have any contacts (i just graduated college 6 months ago so i'm still new to everything)

But good luck bro, if its any concern to you, graphic designers dont make much money at all. But if you like what you do it should matter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah money isnt a big issue to me. I'm sure you'll get to incorporate more of your ideas after you've been working a while. But, what do I know :).

sorry for the thread crapping.

[quote name='clockworkvictim']Yeah money isnt a big issue to me. I'm sure you'll get to incorporate more of your ideas after you've been working a while. But, what do I know :).

sorry for the thread crapping.[/QUOTE]

ah there pretty strict where i work, but i'm just using this job as a stepping stone. Freelance work is great cause you're basically your own boss.

[quote name='onetrackmind']yep... graphic designer[/QUOTE] THats awesome. That is what I am going to school for right now. I have not decided exactly where I want to go with it. Deciding between spcializing in more graphic design (photoshop, etc..) or animation. I have more experience with photoshop. BUt animation looks like a ton of fun also.
Do you like it? Was it hard to get into the field?

[quote name='onetrackmind']Right now i work for a company where i'm the only graphic designer. I take care of flyers, posters, advertisments, catalogs, basically all that stuff. I dont really get to be creative because i ahve to do what they want. SO also long as you can handle critism and are cool with not being able to use your ideas all the time youll be just fine.

But good luck bro, if its any concern to you, graphic designers dont make much money at all. But if you like what you do it should matter.[/QUOTE]

I have a brother who does freelance work with graphic design. And he has done really well for himself. Made some good money. But I know he had lots of problems with people paying him for the work that he did. I guess that could be one problem with the whole freelance thing.

[quote name='markholladay']THats awesome. That is what I am going to school for right now. I have not decided exactly where I want to go with it. Deciding between spcializing in more graphic design (photoshop, etc..) or animation. I have more experience with photoshop. BUt animation looks like a ton of fun also.
Do you like it? Was it hard to get into the field?[/QUOTE]

If i could draw really good i would have loved to go into animation. I love graphic design work, i got lucky and was hired off my first interview right after i graduated. If you're into that type of stuff definetly do it, theres nothing like creating art for a living. If you have any other questions just let me know bro.

And you're right with freelance work you can get screwed bad with people not paying you.

duh, I bitch about my job on these forums at least once a week. Check out any thread called "It's [insert insanely late time] and I'm still at work!!!"

effing golden handcuffs.... grrr...

Yes. I'm gainfully employed as "Well Hung" Matt Young, male prostitute to C-level public access television stars and impersonator of Bud Bundy at local and semi-local comic book conventions.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']No, international student who can't get a work visa= no hope for job. Then again, I make more on ebay than I did when I was actually employed, so I guess that could count.[/QUOTE]

Why can't you get a work visa? As long as you find an employer willing to hire you, you can apply for a work visa, which gets approved as long as it is not too much of a stretch from your major.

[quote name='PapiChullo']I have a job doing promotions on campus. Pretty fun, but I don't have a job yet for after graduation.[/QUOTE]

Good luck - same reason why I ended up going back to school.

Graduated from UNCC in 2003 with a degree in Communications (Public Relations) after doing an internship with the AAA Charlotte Knights baseball team. (White Sox)

The market was so bad and noone was hiring that I ended up going back to graduate school in order to get my teaching license and eventually a Masters in Education.

I will be teaching high school in about a year or so... scary isn't it? :D

Army contractor. Basically I distribute money to fund programs that support aircraft production. Kinda like a accountant...but with guns. :twoguns:

[quote name='Kaijufan']I work for my dad at his winery.[/QUOTE]
That's a pretty nice website for a small(?) winery. I give props to your dad for having a classy site.

I work in IT for a huge accounting firm. It was the first job I took straight out of college (on their helpdesk initially). I can't complain, I'm a full time telecommuter.

[quote name='onetrackmind']yep... graphic designer[/QUOTE]

Same here. I am the graphic designer for a lighting company and a Lighting rep agency so I do work for my main employer as well as other companies we represent.

I create brochures, mailers, spec sheets, presentations, trade show graphics and do some web site maintenance. I do have some freedom to create my own design work as well as take my own product photography. It was not like that when I first started but now being a seasoned vet of the field I do have more freedom. It is a business where if they do not like what designs I have made I have to start again from scratch or I am provided some basic thumbnail sketches from the marketing manager if she has an idea of what she wants to present and I create from what is provided. Most all design work does come through me except for web site design. I did create this small web site for our rep agency link

Been doing it now for about 5 years here at my company and just actually got a promotion and raise.

I also do some marketing work when there is no design work available basically because there are no new products to talk about.

I work as a Lab Tech in my Biochem Dept. during the summer as well as do some construction work on the side. Otherwise I'm a fulltime college student.

bread's done
Back