Do you own the same game across different systems?

Roufuss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
102 (100%)
And if so, why?

I never realized before that my Dreamcast library has pretty much been ported over to PS2 / GC barring a few exceptions, and some games, like Puzzle Fighter 2, I own 3 copies of (on Dreamcast, Saturn, and PS1).

Seeing as how I think this is pretty stupid to own the same exact thing three times, I guess it's time to sell some junk. IMO, the only time I can see owning a game twice is if there is a console version, and a portable version, for obvious reasons (portability).

It's kind of like keeping Snake Eater when you have Subsistence, or owning Street Fighter 2 across 4 different platforms (which I'm guilty of). Does anyone else have the same game across multiple platforms, either unknowingly or knowingly, and why?

And let's say a new version of your old games comes out, what do you do? For example, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology is going to be released soon, and I own Street Fighter Alpha 1 and 2 for Saturn. I'll probably dump SFA 1 and 2 soon and just pick them up on a console that stays plugged in all the time, rather then one I plug in once every year.

To be honest, Capcom has really brought everything over, and made a ton of its back catalog obsolete.

I own the Gamecube and PS2 version of Beyond Good and Evil. Originally bought the GC first but still dont own a GC, then bought and am playing the PS2 version. Awesome game so far.

There are a few I have done this with. Some are for collector's reasons - I own every US version of PSO, for example (versions 1 & 2 for the DC, ep. 1&2 and the plus version for the GC, and ep 1&2 for the Xbox). Some are because of added features - I picked up the PS2 version of RE4 for the extras, and it's just not worth it to get rid of the original at this point. And some, like you said, are because of portability - I have Puzzle Fighter both for the PSOne & the GBA. Oh, and I have both the GC & PS2 versions of Soul Calibur 2, for the different unique characters. I had the Xbox version as well, but got rid of it when I got rid of my Xbox last year.

[quote name='jah2004']I own the Gamecube and PS2 version of Beyond Good and Evil. Originally bought the GC first but still dont own a GC, then bought and am playing the PS2 version. Awesome game so far.[/quote]

Remember to save before
the moon since you can't go back to take pictures or collect pearls. This happened to me and I was pissed.

Back on topic, the only games I have rebought are some of the NES and SNES remade on the GBA. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of them since I never even play them.

Im guilty of owning games cross platform, and of rebuying games. And for some strange reason this happens alot with Capcom games, lol.

I own Resident Evil games for PS1, N64, DC, PS2, and Cube!

And I have Capcom 2D fighters for pretty much every system imaginable. But the true 2D fighter fan will tell you there are enough subtle differences in the different versions to make owning all of them worthwhile.

Other than fighters and RE games, the only time I will rebuy a game for a newer system is if there is additional content, or revamped graphics, or something to make the game different.

The only time I buy cross platform are for PC games because somedays I feel like a mouse, others I prefer the lay-z-boy...I have both versions of KOTOR for PC and XBOX. Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy for PC and XBOX, and Star Wars Battlefront for PC and XBOX...notice a pattern here?

I also have the Grand Theft Auto series on PC and XBOX, but thats because I got the Collection on XBOX super cheap at Bestbuy.

The only other ones I can think of are Final Fantasy VII & VIII, only because I had the PC version first (I didn't have an original PS) and then I got the PS version when I got the PS2 for collecting purposes.

the only ones i can think of are

link to the past, snes and gba

super puzzle fighter, psx and gba

both are some of my favorite games so i wanted them on the go and at home

I bought Beyond Good and Evil for PS2 and Gamecube.

I originally bought the PS2 version and loved it. I ran into the Gamecube version behind a bunch of games at Circuit City, I think it cost around $10-15. I bought it simply because I couldn't bear to see it there all alone :) Also because I didn't run into new copies of the Gamecube version of that game too often.

I bought Beyond Good and Evil for PS2 and Gamecube.

I originally bought the PS2 version and loved it. I ran into the Gamecube version behind a bunch of games at Circuit City, I think it cost around $10-15. I bought it simply because I couldn't bear to see it there all alone :)

I don't think I've ever owned the exact same game for 2 different systems, but I have bought revisions such as Super Mario Advance and kept the original game.

I own Prince of Persia: Sands of Time on the PS2 and GBA, though that barely counts, if at all. I guess technically I also have Crazy Taxi 1 and 2 on the DC and then have them both on the Xbox with Crazy Taxi 3. There's Zelda II on GC and GBA and I also have DOA 2 on DC and Xbox.

I don't really have any games that were multiplatform releases on day one, besides PoT, though both of those games are different. It would have to be a damn good game for me to have copies for multiple platforms of a game.

I have afew games for more then one system. Without going into too much detail for all sorts of reasons cheap, minor differences, collector problem. Like afew games argyle mentioned I also have multiples of PSO (don't have plus or the original one on DC though), same 2 puzzle fighters like him and Soul Calibur II on all 3 systems because of the different character & being cheap.

Sometimes it's actually is worth having a game on two system if you like it enough for example Ys III is the same yet different so I'm actually enjoying playing though it on both the SNES & Genesis.

I own the original SMB, SMB2 and SMB3 (all NES) as well as SMB All-Stars (SNES). I also own a few games in both portable and console versions (A Link to the Past, etc.)...

I have shenmue 2 for the Dreamcast, of course, but couldn't resist picking up the xbox version for $5 for the bonus DVD (it's not that I forgot I don't have an xbox.)

What else? Skies of arcadia... I bought the updated GC version, but can't get rid of the Dreamcast version since I own all U.S. releases for that system.

There's probably a few others like that. But if I buy a game again, it has to bring something new to the table - I'm not like the crazy folk that buy, say, every copy of every Lunar game they can find.

Hmm... I'm pretty sure I'm guilty of this quite a bit. Off the top of my head:

Mortal Kombat: Deception (Xbox & GC) - Bought one of the collector's editions for Xbox and then bought the GC version for the extra characters.

Super Puzzle Fighter II (PS1 & GBA) - Bought it to have a portable version and I'm going to buy the one coming out for PSP as well.

Viewtiful Joe 2 (PS2 & GC) - Got the GC one first, then got the PS2 version extremely cheap later due to Dante (even though I've never played a Devil May Cry or Viewtiful Joe 2)

Soul Calibur 2 (Xbox & GC) - Wanted both Spawn & Link

Legend Of Zelda (NES, GC, GBA) - Actually have two versions on NES (Gold & Gray), the Collector's Disc for GC, and the Classic version for GBA. I just do.

I honestly think this list could go on for quite some time, but I have to leave in a few minutes, so I'll have to pick this back up later.

I used to have the same game on different systems. Now, I just stick with the best version of the game and ditch the others. I used to have MGS 2, MGS 2 Substance (PS2), MGS 2 Substance (PC), and MGS 2 Substance (Xbox) and I realized how insanely dumb that was. Sold 3 of those, made some money, and reduced my collection to only what I need to have (which is better in the long run.)

[quote name='Chacrana']I used to have the same game on different systems. Now, I just stick with the best version of the game and ditch the others. I used to have MGS 2, MGS 2 Substance (PS2), MGS 2 Substance (PC), and MGS 2 Substance (Xbox) and I realized how insanely dumb that was. Sold 3 of those, made some money, and reduced my collection to only what I need to have (which is better in the long run.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm in the process of doing the same type of thing (probably going to be at least a year long process). And yeah, I own MGS2: Substance (Xbox), MGS2: Substance (PS2) and MGS2 (PS2) as well. I could probably do without two of those. :lol:

Oh yeah. I also own a lot of fighters, particularly Capcom and SNK 2D ones, across way too many platforms. And I plan to do it again! I bet a lot of us have at least 2 different Soul Calibur IIs whether we use the exclusive characters or not (I have all 3). I didn't get back into gaming until a few years ago so I even do it backwards. I bought the Dreamcast DOA2 long after owning the DOAU for XBOX.

i've got MvC 2 for both dreamcast and xbox. both are up for sale ;-)

i also bought Halo for both pc and xbox. online mp is soooo much fun.

[quote name='shipwreck']Yeah, I'm in the process of doing the same type of thing (probably going to be at least a year long process). And yeah, I own MGS2: Substance (Xbox), MGS2: Substance (PS2) and MGS2 (PS2) as well. I could probably do without two of those. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Just in case you hadn't had a chance to run through those different versions, the PS2 version of Substance is the best... more extra stuff than the Xbox or PC versions and it's also far better optimized for the PS2 than the Xbox.

I have MGS2 and MGS2 Substance for the PS2, as well as Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for both the Dreamcast and the PS2 (although the DC version is a "back-up" :whistle2:$).

I'm guilty of having 4-5 games the same, across the GC,PS2 and Xbox. I have the following(that I remember):

NARC on PS2/XBox (yes, since its a budget title n I LIKE IT)
GTA: Trilogy PS2/XBox
The Suffering PS2/XBox
GUN GC/Xbox

These are all I remember(for now). The main reason I have the first 3 on both PS2 and XBox was because I HAD a PS2, then got rid of it, but didn't get rid of the games. In the meantime, I bought an XBox and re bought those games because I missed playing them but no one I knew had a PS2 at that point.

The reason I have GUN for GC AND XBox is simply because I bought the GC version from a TRU going out of biz while it was still $50 at most places. I bought it with the intention of trading in, but that same week, it DROPPED drastically in price all over. SO, I was SOL.

Next thought for the GC copy of GUN was to give it to a friend who has a GC, but he already rented it and BEAT it within that week. So again, SOL.

And I REFUSE to take a paltry amount for it in trade, as I paid more than its worth in trade now. So, I'm sol on all counts. Oh well......

My fighters yeah but I often don't may them across mutitple systems unless theres something exclusive. Say SOUL calibur 2 I bough the xbox version first but found myself getting the GC version cheap later since it has link also.

Only a couple...

I have Space Channel 5 for DC and PS2, mainly because the PS2 edition also came with SC5 Pt. 2. So far, I've only noticed one difference between the two versions (the PS2 one uses the Japanese version's "Ulala's Swingin' Report Show" audio).

I also own three versions of Final Fantasy VII-- PC (US), PS1 (US, GH), and PS1 (Japan, the limited-edition version of Int'l that came with the AC box set).

The only game I currently have on two systems is MVP Baseball 2005, that's because I didn't care for the PC style of play, it seemed incredibly slow on my computer and choppy, so I picked up the XBox version when I bought that system and love it on there.

I'm fairly certain the only games I have "duplicates" of are console/portable versions. Even then I try to avoid it unless there's something added to the portable - for example, I haven't bothered going after a still relatively expensive Breath of Fire II for SNES since I got BoF2 for GBA. Off the top of my head:

SMA1,2,4 and their NES/SNES counterparts
FFII (SNES)/FFIV Advance (GBA)

And Mega Man Anniversary Collection and Mario All-Stars, which may or may not be considered the same games as the originals on NES/SNES.

bread's done
Back