Do you plan on buying the new PS3 Diet Slim?

BetaDemo

CAGiversary!
I'm somewhat disappointed in the price increase but I've been thinking about scoring a 2nd PS3 for some time now. What do you think? Is this worth getting if you already own a PS3??

8001374977_d3a2866bc4_z.jpg

[quote name='BetaDemo']Is this worth getting if you already own a PS3??[/QUOTE]

Obviously not. It doesn't do anything new and if you have a working PS3 it would be an utter waste of money.

If the money is meaningless (I'll be glad to take some off your hands), then you don't need to worry about "worth" so feel free.

I wouldn't get it either. Just save your money that you were going to use for it to the next system. I'd see now reason to own another ps3 unless you really don't feel like unhooking it and taking it to another room. Use to be for the blu-ray and video apps that I owned a second but a lot of bluray players have those built in now and are much cheaper than another ps3.
If there are multiple people in your house who are constantly fighting for the ps3 then that is the only reason I would consider getting another.

What was the reason you wanted a second ps3?

[quote name='BetaDemo']What what price point would it be "worth it" then?[/QUOTE]

$120. Then you could sell your current PS3 to pay for it.

[quote name='BetaDemo']What what price point would it be "worth it" then?[/QUOTE]

I think it's "worth it" if you don't already own a PS3.

[quote name='Javery']I think it's "worth it" if you don't already own a PS3.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm coocoo for power savings so I'll eventually get this, but I'd like to see at least a slight drop in price before I bite. If I didn't have a PS3 already I'd definitely get this model though.

I sold both my ps3 and xbox 360 within the last year and haven't looked back until now. Life's caught up and PC gaming takes what little time I have left over. Honestly I like the way the newest 360 looks without gloss finish but this newest ps3 IMO looks like crap; functional differences aside.

Aside from the ergonomics (it's lighter to carry), if this new PS3 doesn't have any new features, then I probably won't be buying it.

my ps3 is basicly a 3d blu ray player. so no its not worth it to me. i play on xbox mostly. still want one of the new xbox's though. cant bring myself to buy one since mine still works.

It looks like a ghetto/budget version of the PS3, kinda like the redesigned SNES or Genesis 3. I still have my launch 60GB, but I'll probably wind up getting one of the current "slims" before they vanish from shelves forever.

[quote name='jcmeadows']Ill grab one, my 60gb got the yellow light of death a few weeks ago....[/QUOTE]

$279 for the new PS3 or $120 to pay Sony to fix your older model...tough choice...

[quote name='BetaDemo']$279 for the new PS3 or $120 to pay Sony to fix your older model...tough choice...[/QUOTE]

True

[quote name='sippycupz']At any rate, I wouldn't get one til November. There's bound to be some great deals on it Black Friday and beyond.[/QUOTE]

That's my thought. I love my PS3 slim but my youngest sister is thinking of finally getting a console besides her Wii. She really hates the top loading of the super slim and expressed interest in a Slim like mine. I'm going to tell her to wait and see what Black Friday brings.

I'm actually debating a super slim just for the top loading mechanism itself. I honestly don't know why Sony didn't just stick with what worked on the PS1 and PS2 and keep the lid design. Making things too complicated adds moving parts, moving parts break over time and then you're stuck either prying open the PS3 to get your disc out or sending it to Sony with a note saying to please send back X or Y game that's stuck inside the machine.

But I really thought there would have been a price DROP to $199.99 to coincide with the release of this latest model. It just seems like after the PS1 era we haven't seen a Sony console go down to the bargain basement price of $50 by the time they disappear from the market. Even the PS2's didn't drop, unless you were lucky and got in on the $50 slims at Target or wherever.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm actually debating a super slim just for the top loading mechanism itself. I honestly don't know why Sony didn't just stick with what worked on the PS1 and PS2 and keep the lid design. Making things too complicated adds moving parts, moving parts break over time and then you're stuck either prying open the PS3 to get your disc out or sending it to Sony with a note saying to please send back X or Y game that's stuck inside the machine.

But I really thought there would have been a price DROP to $199.99 to coincide with the release of this latest model. It just seems like after the PS1 era we haven't seen a Sony console go down to the bargain basement price of $50 by the time they disappear from the market. Even the PS2's didn't drop, unless you were lucky and got in on the $50 slims at Target or wherever.[/QUOTE]

I'm hearing whispers that the 12 or 16GB model is going to hit the states priced at $199 during Thanksgiving weekend. Toss in a games bundle and/or $50 retailer gift card and I'm thinking I'll pick up one to give as an xmas gift.

[quote name='BetaDemo']I'm hearing whispers that the 12 or 16GB model is going to hit the states priced at $199 during Thanksgiving weekend. Toss in a games bundle and/or $50 retailer gift card and I'm thinking I'll pick up one to give as an xmas gift.[/QUOTE]
Meh. It's about fuckin' time Sony drops the damn PS3 another $50 and includes a regular sized HDD with it anyway. The PStwo has largely been clearanced out at every major retailer from what I've seen and that only made it down to $99 before that happened. Compare that to the PSone, which was $49.99 before being eliminated and I'm noticing a trend here.

I game because it's a semi affordable hobby. But the prices just aren't dropping as quickly as they should be this gen. With whispers of the PS4 and Xbox720 possibly coming out in the next year or so I figured these current consoles would've been about $150-200 by now for fully featured versions.

I might get one once the price goes down, just because I will probably last longer than my current PS3...unless the PS4 is backwards compatible.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Meh. It's about fuckin' time Sony drops the damn PS3 another $50 and includes a regular sized HDD with it anyway. The PStwo has largely been clearanced out at every major retailer from what I've seen and that only made it down to $99 before that happened. Compare that to the PSone, which was $49.99 before being eliminated and I'm noticing a trend here.

I game because it's a semi affordable hobby. But the prices just aren't dropping as quickly as they should be this gen. With whispers of the PS4 and Xbox720 possibly coming out in the next year or so I figured these current consoles would've been about $150-200 by now for fully featured versions.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem with the discount pricing--this gen--is due to the economy. With the dollar having much less buying power and the internal components of the modern systems being much more sophisticated I doubt that PS3 will sell for $99 or less at retail (even well after PS4 is available).

[quote name='BetaDemo']I think the problem with the discount pricing--this gen--is due to the economy. With the dollar having much less buying power and the internal components of the modern systems being much more sophisticated I doubt that PS3 will sell for $99 or less at retail (even well after PS4 is available).[/QUOTE]
That's what annoys the crap out of me. Sony and MS could've both pulled a Nintendo and barely upgraded from the prior gen, thus possibly keeping their launch prices lower and getting more people to adopt earlier.

But Sony wanted to whore out Blu-Ray(and MS tried their damnedest to shill for HD-DVD), so economical upgrade to the next gen be damned.

Not to mention by making everything so fuckin' complex they also made machines that needed much more power that were far more prone to failure. Albeit I distinctly remember Sony's system last gen being a total turd as I saw stacks of those piled up that were defective versus the original Xbox.

Either way, hopefully the PS4 and Xbox 720 will be reasonably priced and the consoles won't be prone to failure.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's what annoys the crap out of me. Sony and MS could've both pulled a Nintendo and barely upgraded from the prior gen, thus possibly keeping their launch prices lower and getting more people to adopt earlier.

But Sony wanted to whore out Blu-Ray(and MS tried their damnedest to shill for HD-DVD), so economical upgrade to the next gen be damned.

Not to mention by making everything so fuckin' complex they also made machines that needed much more power that were far more prone to failure. Albeit I distinctly remember Sony's system last gen being a total turd as I saw stacks of those piled up that were defective versus the original Xbox.

Either way, hopefully the PS4 and Xbox 720 will be reasonably priced and the consoles won't be prone to failure.[/QUOTE]

My best (uneducated) guess at the pricing for the respective base models: PS4 will be $499 and Xbox 1080 will be $399. Care to weigh in on how I arrived at those numbers? :lol:

[quote name='BetaDemo']My best (uneducated) guess at the pricing for the respective base models: PS4 will be $499 and Xbox 1080 will be $399. Care to weigh in on how I arrived at those numbers? :lol:[/QUOTE]
Sure. Humor me. Albeit I am glad they decided to whore out Blu-Ray cuz that makes the PS3 games pretty f'n hard to come across a truly mangled one.

bread's done
Back