Do you think Gamefly throttles?

bigdaddybruce44

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Unlike many other CAGs, I have never, ever had any issues with GF. I've been a member for over a year, and the turnarounds have always been fairly quick. I live in Jersey, so I guess that it helps there is a center in Pittsburgh.

Lately, though, it suddenly seems like games take FOREVER to get to them, when it usually took a day or two, especially if I got the game into the mail early in the day before the first pick-up. My last return took about four days to finally show up.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I feel like they are throttling my account and not immediately reporting when my game gets there, so they don't have to ship one out right away. I'm definitely going to shoot them an e-mail about my displeasure with their recent service, but I was just wondering what you guys thought.

to be honest, havent had to rent any games lately from GF, so wouldnt know. last time i had to send something back it was pretty quick as usual, so not sure if its changed since then. maybe @_@

Perhaps, Gamefly is growing too big for itself? So when it processes returns it takes a couple extra days, since it has more to process? I've never used the service, so really I'm just guessing

Yeah, that's definitely possible that they are simply getting bigger. Just seems odd to me that lately I've been sending games back pretty quick and now everything is getting slowed down.

If you have a high game turnover and/or use them to get new games at used prices they can and will throttle your account.

Happened to my friend and me before. I cancelled my account over it while he's playing by their rules.

Yeah, I would definitely consider canceling, but GF saves me so much money on gaming. I will wait and see what their response will be, though I'm sure it's just going to be standard response. If they really are throttling, I'm sure they already have a company line about it.

I'm definitely canceling my subscription at the end of the month. They usually take four days to get my games, then another four to send them out. I don't like it, but oh well with that. The real reason I'm so mad is because the last games they sent me weren't on my list. Just two random games. I emailed them and told them they made a mistake and now I'm going to lose more than a week of their service because of it. The email I got back? Pretty much said if I don't like it I can cancel my subscription. I sent them back the same day I got them. They say they've received them but they haven't shipped me anymore games. I emailed them about it. They haven't responded after four days.

That seems to be happening more frequently, now. It's never happened to me, but in the last month or so, a number of my friends have received games that were never on their queue.

The only problem I have is that new releases are impossible to get. you have to get it the first day or your **** out of luck. and sometimes the games take 5 days to get here and Im in fresno and they ship from the Long beach center.

Been using gamefly for years and really haven't run into any issues. I don't notice any throttling, if my q is full of a games that aren't available some times it take 1-2 days for a game to ship, but it's been rare.

My ship times are half what they used to be. I try and drop games at the post office because it seems to knock a day off with fast return. 90% of the time, they game returned the next day and next game goes out that day or the next. I hold on to one while waiting for the next one and it works great.

New releases can be tricky, I did get RE5 a week after release. Not really sure what I'd do if I canceled gamefly, I've gone through about 20-30 games in the past few months alone for barely the cost of one new game.

I sent back my last title (MK vs DC, yuck.) on 4/24. They shipped out Left 4 Dead on 5/1, and I have not yet received it. It's fucking absurd - though L4D may have been lost in the mail.

I've heard rumors that they prioritize new users over long-term subscribers. I noticed that I would get games with even LOW Availability quickly, and now it takes up to a week for even a medium to high game to get sent.I'm about through with them.

It took 2 weeks for them to send out a game recently. fuck that

I've noticed longer transit times lately, but I assumed it was due to the post office cost-cutting rather than Gamefly. From January-March I got 1 day transit times in both directions 100% of the time. Over the last month the transit times have grown to 2 days most of the time. It's impossible to confirm the true source of the delay, but it just feels like its on the post office side (consistent travel times, the delay coming after it says shipped and other mail seeming like its taking longer).

They finally shipped one of my games. My games out list has been empty for four days without them sending something new on my list, in the email it said "We used fast return to get you your product even faster!" I just thought that was funny.

Anyone ever not get the option to buy a game they send you? Last week, they shipped me Spiderman: Friend or Foe, but I can't buy it for some reason. I don't want to...beat it in a few days...but I just found that odd, because it's never happened to any of the other 30 or so games I've rented from them.

I end up using the keep it option a lot on games, esp new release. awesome feature and price is always good. I've only noticed this not available a couple times, can't remember right now what games I noticed this on, but i've seen it too. Could be games they don't make anymore, so gamefly can keep a stock of them. not sure.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Anyone ever not get the option to buy a game they send you? Last week, they shipped me Spiderman: Friend or Foe, but I can't buy it for some reason. I don't want to...beat it in a few days...but I just found that odd, because it's never happened to any of the other 30 or so games I've rented from them.[/QUOTE]

soopa cheap games aren't available for purchase, methinks. the only title I ever got that I was unable to buy was Burnout Paradise, so I have a sample size of exactly 1. :lol:

There was a note at the post office today that they're no longer doing daily pickups, so I think it's safe to say that it is the post office. And this is at a main post office in a major city that is always crowded.

I found this at USPS.com from their May 6th earnings announcement:
"The economic recession has been tough on the mailing industry, and we have seen an unprecedented decline in mail volumes and revenue that continued to accelerate during the second quarter,” said Postmaster General John Potter during today’s Board of Governors meeting. “We are aggressively realigning our costs to match the lower mail volumes, while also maintaining the high level of service and reliability our customers expect. We are also taking a number of steps to grow revenue.
We are aggressively reducing work hours and other costs to limit losses, preserve cash and improve productivity,” said Joseph Corbett, chief financial officer and executive vice president. Initiatives designed to match work hours to reduced volume have resulted in a work-hour decline of 58 million hours – the equivalent of a reduction of 33,000 full-time employees – in the first half of FY 2009, despite an increase in the number of delivery points by 1.1 million from the same period last year. The work-hour reduction is on pace to meet the goal of reducing work hours by more than 100 million for the entire year, the equivalent of 57,000 full-time employees.

Corbett said other savings are coming from consolidating excess capacity in mail processing and transportation networks, realigning carrier routes, halting construction of new postal facilities, freezing Postal Service officer and executive salaries at 2008 pay levels, reducing travel budgets and similar measures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get my games pretty quickly from the Long Beach center, no real problems and I have been a member for years.

I know they filed an official complaint with the Post Office about the long transit time and breakage so maybe there will be some slowdown because of that.

I can't post the complaint log from the BBB here because it shows my address and phone number, but long story short: they're trash and they've been doing this to me for a long time. I bitched to the BBB, they outright lied about certain incidents (and when I called them on it, they never responded) and issued me 6 months for free.

My suggestion; if you have a problem, file a BBB report, it may work for you as well.

bread's done
Back