Do you think that Wii will sell out on launch in the US?

yeah, i do,
-a lot of people are looking forward to the intuitive controls
-less educated people think that they can buy it and make as much as a PS3 is going for on ebay
-nintendo has a pretty big following
-parents see the price as the optimal system to get their children for christmas
-preorders sold out quickly, think of the gamestop bundle that was $685, 5min
-youre going to get some of the PS3 spillover from not securing a system on release date

Definitely..and the reason I say this is because in going to stores yesterday/today. Parents/Grandparents who were looking for a PS3 find out the Wii is "new" and "cheaper" and they're coming back tomorrow to get it as a hot christmas gift. This is definitely a plus for Nintendo.

Of course. Consoles always sell out at launch.

I think it will be pretty easy to find tonight/tomorrow for those that put some effort in (i.e. call and see who has the most, show up a couple hours before sale/opening and so on), but they will sell out and be tough to find for a while after tomorrow.

yeah, it will sell out, but it won't mean tons of people left out in the cold. It will sell out because most who want one will get one, and there are a TON of people who want one.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']The line at my local Wal-Mart is already full. This thing is definitely selling out.[/quote]

makes me glad, i preordered it

plus people get shot at wallmart

Yes. My afternoon it will be impossible to obtain. Luckily I have a pre-order at TRU....but I'm still not taking any chances and getting there a few hours early (With my DS and Yoshis Island 2 of course)

i was hoping no, but it seems as though it will be all gone by noon, well i hope they restock asap, and not hold on till they get larger quantities.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']NO, 4 million americans don't want one.[/quote]

Then its a good thing there'll only be maybe 2 million by the end of the year in the U.S.

I'm beginning to wonder myself. I stated in another thread my Mom's BB already has their "launch shipment" and was expecting to get an extra 100 today. That's somewhere around 260 for their store.

Do you think that Wii will sell out on launch in the US?

As long as there is money to be made by creating a totally unnecessary secondary market online, then yes. The Nintendo 'faithful' are a deliriously devout bunch, but I'm not sure they could've done it alone. Nerds + giftbuyers + eBay fucks = near-instant sellout in 95% of the country.

Seriously, don't expect to walk right up to your retail store of choice at open and get one. It might work out for you, but the game/accessories selection might suck by then, too. Why not be safe about it and sacrifice a few hours? (And by "a few", I mean a few.)

EDIT: NO, 4 million americans don't want one.

Internet and misinformation...what a devoted couple!

I think it will be close to a sell out, but not complete. Gamecube had more anticipation, launched with less units, and I was still able to walk into a Best Buy on launch day at around 4PM and pick up 1 of several they had left out on the shelf, though accessories were hard to find.

The initial allocation will definitely sell out, probably in a matter of minutes most places. I think I'll just pick up Gears of War and finish Final Fantasy XII until January.

[quote name='Giygas']wow! lame. I hope he will provide proof that he tried if he doesn't succeed.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you read the auction details carefully, because the winning bid was less than $550, all the auction winner gets is Zelda:TP for $500 and the option to buy the Wii for an additional $250+shipping. So, if they took that deal you would get Zelda + a Wii for $750+shipping.

[quote name='Fox5']I think it will be close to a sell out, but not complete. Gamecube had more anticipation, launched with less units, and I was still able to walk into a Best Buy on launch day at around 4PM and pick up 1 of several they had left out on the shelf, though accessories were hard to find.[/quote]

theres no way GC had more hype than the Wii. i dont remember anything like this for the Gamecube.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']NO, 4 million americans don't want one.[/QUOTE]

Good thing there are 300 million americans.

[quote name='blackclips06']theres no way GC had more hype than the Wii. i dont remember anything like this for the Gamecube.[/QUOTE]

Concur... the 'Cube was interesting, but lacked any real pop from a previous system. The Wii is coming off of the runaway DS success and a huge E3. What makes it worse is that it's not just the hardcore Nintendo crowd this time around -- casuals and gamers who have been out of the loop for a long time are coming back into the fold in a big way with the Wii. This thing's gonna be big.

I'm pretty sure inital shipments will be sold out by Sunday evening. They're gone at just about everywhere doing a midnight launch. And the people that get shafted there will be headed to Target, Best Buy, etc. at 12:01 to wait.

The Gamecube was still trying to directly compete with the PS2 and Xbox, and it was a purple console that launched without a proper Mario, Metrioid, or Zelda. The Wii may draw the attention of some shallow, trendy, iCulture-y motherfuckers (actually, it already has), and they may lose interest a month later, but they will be a factor come tomorrow, and it is not comparable to the Gamecube launch.

[quote name='Kaijufan']My guess is that most stores will sell out when they open, the rest will sell out by the end of the day.[/quote]

Yup, that's what I think. And if not by the end of the day, there won't be a Wii to be found in 3 days... tops.

I don't see what the big deal is about selling out. Other than the fact that if it does, it means it's outselling the PS3 by at least 100%

Three days? Try three hours...best-case scenario. You guys astound me with your combination of overconfidence and underestimating the "Hype Wagon Effect".*

It will be harder to find gamcubes then the Wii.

I vehemently disagree with this statement, even if you literally mean finding a Gamecube and then a Wii, as opposed to a Gamecube being harder to find in 2001 than a Wii today. (Daily allowance of smartass: fulfilled.)

*--And no, idiots, I don't just mean Cheapy and Wombat's "wagon".

[quote name='jollydwarf']Three days? Try three hours...best-case scenario. You guys astound me with your combination of overconfidence and underestimating the "Hype Wagon Effect".*

It will be harder to find gamcubes then the Wii.

I vehemently disagree with this statement, even if you literally mean finding a Gamecube and then a Wii, as opposed to a Gamecube being harder to find in 2001 than a Wii today. (Daily allowance of smartass: fulfilled.)

*--And no, idiots, I don't just mean Cheapy and Wombat's "wagon".[/quote]
Three hours? That'd be fucking insane.

That'd be good for Nintendo, but not for me. I didn't pre-order. :lol:

Nintendo has a secret plan:

The controllers are so small that everyone is going to get arthritis and will not be able to play games next gen. Nintendo is taking down the entire gaming industry.

If every store gets as many as they should, you can roll out of bed at 9 and find one or two.

[quote name='chodax']Do you guys think they will all sell out on launch?[/QUOTE]

Thats probably a safe bet... I'm in Indianapolis and every single midnight store was sold out, with a line. TRU is the only place that may have enough to last the day.

Got to Walmart at 4:30am, 4 other people had been in line since ~12. There were ~20 people when the stored opened at 8 and 28 consoles. Got almost everything I wanted except for a component video cable and 2 Nunchuck attachments (wanted a full set of 4 controllers + attachments).

Oddly enough, I think I was probably the only one to pick up Rayman (most everyone was grabbing Red Steel and Zelda).

None left for me @ the Brookwood Target. There was a line of about 50 people before the store openned, and I guess they handed out tickets ahead of time.

I think it's going to sell out quickly, but they'll be a lot returned to the store. I'm guessing most of the people will buy it to ebay it, realize there's no ebay market for it and end up returning it

[quote name='rsigley']I think it's going to sell out quickly, but they'll be a lot returned to the store. I'm guessing most of the people will buy it to ebay it, realize there's no ebay market for it and end up returning it[/QUOTE]

Guess again, bub. I just checked ebay and the cheapest Wii auction ending in the next hour is at $660! I'm sure this will go down quickly, but I'm very tempted to sell mine in a 24 hour auction before people catch on to their availability. At least, I'd do that if I could find a second unit, but if I only get one I am deffinitely keeping it. I haven't been this excited in ages.

I no longer think you can go to a few stores and pick one up today. Seriously, I freaking hate ebay; you know ebay has made it so impossible to get a system on launch anymore. I wish people could go back to their values of happiness.

bread's done
Back