Do you think their will a $199 PS3 this year?

Donutkid2222

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Since MS uped the HDD to 250, the standard of the $350 of the ps3. anyone think SOny will make a lower HDD model like the 80GB on a $199 price point and 320GB for the 299?

hell no. considering what they had to take out of the ps3 just to get it to the 299 mark i dont see that ever happening. theyre selliing alot of ps3s a the current price and it will stay there for a long time to come. id expect a drop in psp prices this year though.

[quote name='lokizz']hell no. considering what they had to take out of the ps3 just to get it to the 299 mark i dont see that ever happening. theyre selliing alot of ps3s a the current price and it will stay there for a long time to come. id expect a drop in psp prices this year though.[/QUOTE]
Had they not put such high end specs in the PS3 in the first damn place they could've probably launched it at $199-299 and REALLY given the competition something to worry about.

But they went the 'zomg super duper ultra mega high def does everything mega super ultra expensive machine' route and fucked themselves out of continuing the PS2's trend of selling a shitload of consoles because they offered a great value for a good price.

Good going Sony. Keep up the good work and say hi to Sega for us gamers in another half gen.

As for the OP's question: NO

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Had they not put such high end specs in the PS3 in the first damn place they could've probably launched it at $199-299 and REALLY given the competition something to worry about.

But they went the 'zomg super duper ultra mega high def does everything mega super ultra expensive machine' route and fucked themselves out of continuing the PS2's trend of selling a shitload of consoles because they offered a great value for a good price.

Good going Sony. Keep up the good work and say hi to Sega for us gamers in another half gen.

As for the OP's question: NO[/QUOTE]

The PS3 has no doubt had a slow start but it's helped push the adoption of Blu-ray, which I for one am very thankful for. If Sony had stuck to the PS2 ways, we wouldn't have PSN or anything close to the online experience we have now. That said, we've already heard this rant and the one to come after this post. There's an off-topic forum for your shit.

On-topic, we *might* see $249.99 this fall. The holiday period is a great time to try and boost sales with a price drop.

[quote name='SynGamer']The PS3 has no doubt had a slow start but it's helped push the adoption of Blu-ray, which I for one am very thankful for. If Sony had stuck to the PS2 ways, we wouldn't have PSN or anything close to the online experience we have now. That said, we've already heard this rant and the one to come after this post. There's an off-topic forum for your shit.[/QUOTE]
So again, it's 'shit' if it goes against Sony in any way and doesn't kiss their corporate ass?:lol::applause:

As for the adoption of Blu-Ray, I AM grateful for the size of the discs, but until they stop producing DVD's I'll still take a $2-5 DVD over a $20+ Blu-Ray movie any day of the week even if I eventually get a true HDtv. But again, that goes back to me not buying very many movies as of late, since most of the recent films Hollywood has churned out are crap and far too many remakes of remakes of remakes.:roll:

As to PSN, I'm pretty close to going back to playing strictly offline, since there's far too many toolbags on the few games I play online to even be worth it for me to keep playing on there. The few select PSN friends I have that actually are decent I would miss, but I'd get over not playing with them soon enough.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So again, it's 'shit' if it goes against Sony in any way and doesn't kiss their corporate ass?:lol::applause:[/QUOTE]

No, it's the fact that we've ALL heard your little rant before ;) Nice try though.

[quote name='SynGamer']No, it's the fact that we've ALL heard your little rant before ;) Nice try though.[/QUOTE]
I think there's a few people on CAG who haven't heard it and that's the audience I'm trying to reach.;)

[quote name='Serpentor']I love to get a white PS3 for $200, or a black one for $200 to be painted white :lol: but i doubt it's gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

they should just sell replacement cases theres definelty a market for it bu then you get into the whole voiding your warranty by removing the sticker bit.

do you mean msrp for $199? probably not, and it is doubtful sony will decrease hdd sizes
i think you may see holiday bundles that might be system + game + move for $299

[quote name='vherub']do you mean msrp for $199? probably not, and it is doubtful sony will decrease hdd sizes
i think you may see holiday bundles that might be system + game + move for $299[/QUOTE]

you might want to add 100 to your total.

The next drop will likely be to $249 but I don't see that happening this year. I think sometime next spring around Killzone 3's release.

[quote name='vherub']do you mean msrp for $199? probably not, and it is doubtful sony will decrease hdd sizes
i think you may see holiday bundles that might be system + game + move for $299[/QUOTE]

nah.. $349 for the move bundle is the best they could offer... or $399 for it plus 1 extra game....

I still wouldn't mind a budget or equivalent to the Xbox 360 Arcade model sku for $200-250. I'd take a 20, 40, 60, or 80GB PS3 slim for that price range.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I still wouldn't mind a budget or equivalent to the Xbox 360 Arcade model sku for $200-250. I'd take a 20, 40, 60, or 80GB PS3 slim for that price range.[/QUOTE]

goodluck waiting on that to happen because it wont anytime soon. if you want a cheaper slim check out dell.com someone posted how there selling slims under 299 range.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So again, it's 'shit' if it goes against Sony in any way and doesn't kiss their corporate ass?:lol::applause:

As for the adoption of Blu-Ray, I AM grateful for the size of the discs, but until they stop producing DVD's I'll still take a $2-5 DVD over a $20+ Blu-Ray movie any day of the week even if I eventually get a true HDtv. But again, that goes back to me not buying very many movies as of late, since most of the recent films Hollywood has churned out are crap and far too many remakes of remakes of remakes.:roll:

As to PSN, I'm pretty close to going back to playing strictly offline, since there's far too many toolbags on the few games I play online to even be worth it for me to keep playing on there. The few select PSN friends I have that actually are decent I would miss, but I'd get over not playing with them soon enough.[/QUOTE]

This is why you buy Foreign and Independent movies ffs. Heck some of the imports are even region free. Who's paying $20+ for domestically released Blu's? I'm sure as heck not. "Paprika", FF: The Spirits Within' and "Sky Crawlers" were all selling for less then $20 at Amazon not too long ago. Also Tekkonkinkreet too. For new I'd sure I could mention some. I picked up "Sweeney Todd" under $20 as well. As for more expensive stuff I paid $10 a piece for a few old Kino movies, namely "Battleship Potemkin" and "The General". Also Barnes and Noble is having their 50% off Criterion movies, which includes the Blu-ray's. I paid $20 for "Monsoon Wedding" and don't think I overpaid given that the edition is director approved and they went back to the source cleaning it up under her notice.
Granted I'd recommend you import "Gladiator" as the Holland version is a new transfer that isn't DVNR botched. Paramount is offering a replacement here for those that own the American version though.

bread's done
Back