Do you think their will be a PS3 price drop?

[quote name='kurokubushi']
And if you sent a ps2 in to get fixed, it stayed fixed, it dient happen again, and again. What you guys like to neglect to mention the the launch systems of the original xbox had a tendancy to breakdown also.[/quote]

Actually, the Xbox was a beast last gen compared to the PS2. The one local shop had only a handful of broken Xbox systems, as opposed to a couple ROOMfuls of broken PS2's.

As for the broken consoles staying fixed, tell that to my one buddy who had to send back his PS3 FOUR friggin' times before they fixed it right.

Each time they sent it back, they may have fixed the prior problem, but it developed a NEW problem.

So, before saying that the PS2's that Sony oh so professionally repaired never had another problem, think again.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, the Xbox was a beast last gen compared to the PS2. The one local shop had only a handful of broken Xbox systems, as opposed to a couple ROOMfuls of broken PS2's.

As for the broken consoles staying fixed, tell that to my one buddy who had to send back his PS3 FOUR friggin' times before they fixed it right.

Each time they sent it back, they may have fixed the prior problem, but it developed a NEW problem.

So, before saying that the PS2's that Sony oh so professionally repaired never had another problem, think again.[/QUOTE]

Sony does NOT fix the units that you send back, at least for you. What they do is just give you a refurbished unit and fix yours to send to someone else. That's part of the reason why I don't want to send mine into them. I think I will see if I can replace my laser and then sell my 40gb model and get a new 80gb unit+ a 2-3 warranty wherever I buy it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, the Xbox was a beast last gen compared to the PS2. The one local shop had only a handful of broken Xbox systems, as opposed to a couple ROOMfuls of broken PS2's.

So, before saying that the PS2's that Sony oh so professionally repaired never had another problem, think again.[/quote]

Having diffrent issues with the same system is still alot betther than sending it in to be fixed, and then having the same damn thing happen to months latter.

The PS3 should drop soon i think. i believe there are going to be a whole new flag ship of ps3 that are going to be less powerful than the current 80's and 120's. no chrome trim, touch sensitive power button, card readers, i believe there might be 2 less cpus out of the 8. Basically its gonna be more like a wii. I read this some where in an article. Also, a lot of people believe the ps3 should also drop soon is because the other competitive companies like samsung that make blu-ray players and selling them for a cheaper price. So it should bring down the cost of the ps3. Based on how blu-ray discs are selling better now, its obviously the blu-ray is getting more common and the more common the technology is, the cheaper they will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gamerpro4000']i believe there might be 2 less cpus out of the 8. Basically its gonna be more like a wii.[/QUOTE]

:bomb:

Why do people say shit like this?

I think the price drop will happen after March 23.
Because all those $150 credit card deals that Sony offered in December ended that date.

[quote name='kurokubushi']Having diffrent issues with the same system is still alot betther than sending it in to be fixed, and then having the same damn thing happen to months latter.[/quote]

How video game console manufacturers get away with the 90 day warranty that was prevalent in the PS2/Xbox/GC gen, while other major electronics manufacturers at least give six months to a year, is beyond me.

I never really liked that you only had three months and that you were guaranteed that if a problem arose it was going to happen on day 91.

Most of the DRE problems were easily fixed by either by realigning the laser or just by simply cleaning it. I saved myself $75 MANY times over by learning how to take apart the PS2(and the Xbox as well)and do the work myself.

However, I can only imagine the MILLIONS of people who Sony made an easy $75 off of because they were too afraid to open their own console up.

I still have NO doubt that THAT is why Sony sold over 100 million PS2's, since many of those were rebuys to replace the faulty ones that DRE'd.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How video game console manufacturers get away with the 90 day warranty that was prevalent in the PS2/Xbox/GC gen, while other major electronics manufacturers at least give six months to a year, is beyond me.

I never really liked that you only had three months and that you were guaranteed that if a problem arose it was going to happen on day 91.

Most of the DRE problems were easily fixed by either by realigning the laser or just by simply cleaning it. I saved myself $75 MANY times over by learning how to take apart the PS2(and the Xbox as well)and do the work myself.

However, I can only imagine the MILLIONS of people who Sony made an easy $75 off of because they were too afraid to open their own console up.

I still have NO doubt that THAT is why Sony sold over 100 million PS2's, since many of those were rebuys to replace the faulty ones that DRE'd.[/quote]

While I agree in part with what you say, a factor that should not be overlooked is the care people took care of their consoles with my. My best friend and I both had launch day PS2's, but we both babied them to death. I had mine for 4+ years before I sold it, never had a single problem other than the machine would always make a weird screeching sound the FIRST time you ejected it after powering it on (never subsequent times).

I also know people who had launch days or later systems that had issues because of negligence less than 3 months in, but were able to be covered by warranty, but had issues that could have been completely avoided. I also know people who had them break down 1-2 years in. I don't think I heard of anyone missing the warranty period by less than a month. If someone had their console break down within days 91-100, I would feel really bad for them. I don't think the PS2 was designed to be a faulty system if properly cared for.

I think either extreme is too general and too anecdotal to go by.

Oh yeah, on topic, I think a 50$ price drop is more reasonable to expect than a 100$ price drop. Just an inkling, but with sony stating that their goal is to start turning a profit over being competitive coupled with the fact that the system is still selling at a loss, I am expecting a price cut less than 100$.

[quote name='dog_from_duck_hunt']i'm thinking about getting the ps3 from dell.com. does anyone know if a better deal will come along. will the price drop be that much better?[/QUOTE]

If that's with the 20% code then I'd say go for it. I got another one a few weeks ago with that deal and turned out to be just under 340 total. Even if Sony dropped it next month to 300 + sales tax, that's not that big of a difference.

[quote name='kongfunk']I think the price drop will happen after March 23.
Because all those $150 credit card deals that Sony offered in December ended that date.
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

Hehe I didn't think of that!!

The question is though, how much will the price drop be?

*Fingers Crossed*

Saint

Hickey also adds that he's heard murmurs of a Blu-ray-free PS3 in the works. Without the Blu-ray hardware, the console's production cost would shrink enough to rationalize a substantial price drop.
I have my doubts about this rumor. It makes no sense that Sony would remove the Blu-ray from consoles when, in many ways, Blu-ray was the Playstation 3's raison d'etre. From the day the Playstation 3 was introduced, Sony all but said it was selling the PS3 below cost in order to win the "format war" over HD-DVD. Abandoning that niche would be admitting that Blu-ray hasn't delivered as hoped.
How about the fact that without one, none of the fucking games work? Sounds like a pretty good reason to not cut it. Just further proof that "experts" and "analists" don't know jack.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']If that's with the 20% code then I'd say go for it. I got another one a few weeks ago with that deal and turned out to be just under 340 total. Even if Sony dropped it next month to 300 + sales tax, that's not that big of a difference.[/QUOTE]

yeah i did the deal from dell and got a controller too. it ended up costing me 399.58 with tax inculded. so i'm happy with that!

bread's done
Back