do you think there will ever be a good gundam game?

lokizz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
i love the series especially g gundam and gundamn wing and ive always wanted to play those anime in a quality game form. especially gundam wing to be able to have the kind of massive frantic crazy space battles liek you see in the films would be awesome but as of yet the only decent gundam game ive ever played was a fighting game on the snes.

im hoping with this next gen of systems once developers are able to figure out how to get the most from each system ( well 2 of them) they will finally be able to craft a solid gundam experience. but then i wonder too if you could ever capture the spirit of the anime into a game or would it be better to come up with original stories and concepts for gundam games or just make an online gundam fighter of sorts kind of like a chrome hound game with people competting in team battles or every man for themselves battle royales.

id also liek to see a decent zoids based game as well.

No matter how bad a Gundam game is, it will still sell really well in Japan which is probably why not much effort is put into them.

I say skip the Gundam games and go for better mech games. If you need an anime based one then Robotech: Battlecry was a pretty decent one with at least one big space battle in it (which looked really cool with all the huge ships and stuff).

Armored Core games obviously which are decent if you are into the whole customizing mechs thing.

And the best mech games ever (Fact) Zone of The Enders 1&2

There was a good Gundam game and it was on the Dreamcast. If you're looking for Gundam Wing/G Gundam style games though, you're not looking for a Gundam game really.

[quote name='whoknows']No matter how bad a Gundam game is, it will still sell really well in Japan which is probably why not much effort is put into them.

I say skip the Gundam games and go for better mech games. If you need an anime based one then Robotech: Battlecry was a pretty decent one with at least one big space battle in it (which looked really cool with all the huge ships and stuff).

Armored Core games obviously which are decent if you are into the whole customizing mechs thing.

And the best mech games ever (Fact) Zone of The Enders 1&2[/quote]

yeah ive tried battle cry and i hated it. i was happy for a while being a robotech geek and all but those space battles felt so weird because it felt like the ship you were controlling wasnt moving but everything else was. and armored core i hated too way back durign the ps1 era. i have been wanting to get zone of enders 1 and 2 but theyre hard as hell to find anywhere and if you do find them theyre not cheap.

[quote name='furyk']There was a good Gundam game and it was on the Dreamcast. If you're looking for Gundam Wing/G Gundam style games though, you're not looking for a Gundam game really.[/quote]

i had a demo for that game but i never got around to getting it. and since i dont have a dc anymore i guess theres no point in trying to find it now. but it did seem pretty cool back then. man i wish i still had power stone 2, shadowman and sonic adv and a dreamcast lol.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah ive tried battle cry and i hated it. i was happy for a while being a robotech geek and all but those space battles felt so weird because it felt like the ship you were controlling wasnt moving but everything else was. and armored core i hated too way back durign the ps1 era. i have been wanting to get zone of enders 1 and 2 but theyre hard as hell to find anywhere and if you do find them theyre not cheap.[/QUOTE]
First Zone of The Enders should be pretty cheap (about $10 or less I believe). ZOE2 however...probably around $20-$30+.

Great games that even have a pretty good story!

[quote name='furyk']There was a good Gundam game and it was on the Dreamcast. If you're looking for Gundam Wing/G Gundam style games though, you're not looking for a Gundam game really.[/QUOTE]

That game is hands-down the best Gundam game I've ever played, and I'm factoring in Super Robot Wars and A.C.E. 2. I loved the dynamic storyline; in one mission, you're fighting a skilled, blue Zaku pilot in a city. Mid-fight, he offers a cease-fire in return for the safety of a train, whose unknown cargo is obviously important to Zeon. You only have a few seconds to make this decision before the train gets away, and if you attack it, the city will suffer heavy damages from the ensuing battle between you and the blue Zaku. So do you stop the train or not? How do you know if the Zaku pilot will keep his word?

I recently realized that the reason I liked this game a lot was because it wasn't a typical Gundam game. That is, you're not Amuro Ray, and you're not rehashing the cartoon series. (Amuro was still in it during a bonus mish if you wanted to fight him, and he was really tough.) Then there was the entertaining banter from your teammates between missions, and the CNN-style news reports that seemed to make Gundam come to life.

If you must have Gundam Wing, try the recently released Gundam Musou. I know at least Wing and Epyon's in it, and I've heard good things about the game. Like others have suggested, I'd highly recommend Zone of the Enders 2 (the first one was ho-hum, but hey - it's only $5 at Gamestop), which might've well have been a Gundam game since it was designed by the same guy behind Gundam X.

My question is, Was there any good gundam anything? I thought the whole series always sucked, but hey that is me.

Now as far as if they will ever make a good gundam game, No they won't, why should they? Every Gundam game sells well wether it is a good game or not.

I believe OPM theorized that, at least for the PS2 Gundam games, the "best" Gundam games had the letter Z in the title. :lol: Even then, those games were given maybe 3 or 3.5 out of 5, so it's not like it made up for the rest of the bad games.

Only if Treasure makes it. seems like they make the only good anime games

the question is will there ever be a good gundam game in AMERICA?

cause the capcom made gundam game and the SPRG G Generation games are very good and Japan only.

There definitely are good Gundam games, it's just that they arn't released here. If you're asking will there ever be a good U.S. released Gundam game...well I'm not sure.

No, sadly. And I agree with the OP even if most otakus out there will chastise us, but I really really liked Gundam Wing (probably my favorite) and G-Gundam wasn't bad either.

the federation vs. zeon and sequels, i thought they were pretty good. i played the first SEED one, it's fun. apparently it's a pretty deep system too, and they have tourneys all over china, taiwan, and japan. it's not really crazy or anything and it feels kinda slow, but i still like it. =P

[quote name='62t']the question is will there ever be a good gundam game in AMERICA?

cause the capcom made gundam game and the SPRG G Generation games are very good and Japan only.[/QUOTE]
Actually the Capcom games are NOT Japan only. So yes, there are two very good Gundam games in the US. Both on the PS2. Federation vs. Zeon and Gundam vs. Z Gundam. They're arcade games made by Capcom, and they're a lot of fun. Also in the case of GvZ there's a wealth of material to unlock, and some nice stuff for fans. Like being able to play as Kamille if he had joined the Titans, or having Haman win the last battle.
If you're looking for Gundam Wing/G Gundam style games though, you're not looking for a Gundam game really.
:applause:

Universal Century all the way!

Try Gundam Battle Assault 2. It has a fair mix of characters from multiple Gundam series (7 of which from Wing and 7 of which from G).

Also, Fed vs Zeon is a decent game. Gundam vs Z Gundam is fun too. I'm waiting to try Gundam Musou.

MS Saga is an awesome RPG, which is related to Gundam (IMO, one of my favorite games in 2006).

Gundam Musou on PS3 will be extremely awesome.

Gundam Battle Assaults on PS1 were good.

Gundam is my favorite anime though, so I may be a tad lenient.

[quote name='Kain Vincent']Try Gundam Battle Assault 2. It has a fair mix of characters from multiple Gundam series (7 of which from Wing and 7 of which from G).

Also, Fed vs Zeon is a decent game. Gundam vs Z Gundam is fun too. I'm waiting to try Gundam Musou.[/QUOTE]
Awesome avatar and sig. I love Z Gundam. Best series of the saga.

I thought Journey to Jaburo on the ps2 wasnt that bad (it was my first gundam game). Even though it was based on the original anime series, they did have a few other gundams which was nice to play in a mission mode type of thing.

OK, Endless Duel, question answered, thread over.

However! I consider Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes (the Dreamcast game) to be an absolutely fantastic game. It's totally different from Endless Duel of course, but I love them both equally. And the Battle Assaults are also fun.

And there are other good Gundam games, it's just that hardly any of them come out over here, and a lot of people pretend to have played all the Japanese ones, when they really have no idea what they're talking about. The simply titled "Mobile Suit Gundam: One Year War" on PS2 is easily one of the better Gundam games ever. There are some other decent games, as well, but I've made my point.

I liked Gundam Battle Assault 2 for PS1. Despite being a clunky unbalanced 2-D fighter I enjoyed it. Its also one of those games that benefits from using the texture smoothing of the PS2 on PS1 games.

[quote name='Z-Saber']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mobile_Report_Gundam_Wing:_Endless_Duel

Give it a try. I really enjoyed it several years ago when I found it, and I still do.[/QUOTE]

YES!

This is the exact game I was thinking of when I saw the topic title.

GW:ED is a quality fighting game. The AI is pretty good and the characters are pretty balanced, with the exception of a couple of them having infinite combos such as Deathscythe.

Down + Weak Weapon > Standing Strong Weapon > that projectile that teleports you to the enemy > repeat

[quote name='Kuros']YES!

This is the exact game I was thinking of when I saw the topic title.

GW:ED is a quality fighting game. The AI is pretty good and the characters are pretty balanced, with the exception of a couple of them having infinite combos such as Deathscythe.

Down + Weak Weapon > Standing Strong Weapon > that projectile that teleports you to the enemy > repeat[/quote]Guess it's time to start up a tournament. I actually played it online once with some dude from... I don't know, maybe GameFAQS? It was pretty fun playing it with a real person.

Mobile Suit Gundam One Year War and Mobile Suit Gundam Climax U.C both kick the living crap out of every gundam game that came before them and currently after since i'm not liking the latest ps3 offerings much. Alas neither will ever see the light of day in the U.S

bread's done
Back