Do you unplug your Wii?

Scrubking

CAGiversary!
Does anyone unplug their Wii from the power and/or know if leaving it plugged in for too long like the PS2 can cause problems?

I've always kept my PS2 unplugged if I'm not playing so should I do the same with the Wii?

Right now I leave mine on Standby, I've always left my PS2 plugged in and I've never had any problems on that. Is yours the fat PS2 or the slim one?

[quote name='JohnnyDrama']Right now I leave mine on Standby, I've always left my PS2 plugged in and I've never had any problems on that. Is yours the fat PS2 or the slim one?[/QUOTE]

I have the slim ps2. My first slim ps2 I left plugged in all the time and it died in less than a month. That's why I'm worried about leaving my Wii plugged in.

[quote name='Scrubking']I have the slim ps2. My first one I left plugged in all the time and it died in less than a month. That's why I'm worried about leaving my Wii plugged in.[/quote]

I don't think that had anything to do with leaving it plugged in. That's the luck of the draw. Everyone knows that the FAT ps2 were very shitty in terms of quality.

[quote name='bil4ltool']I don't think that had anything to do with leaving it plugged in. That's the luck of the draw. Everyone knows that the FAT ps2 were very shitty in terms of quality.[/QUOTE]

The early versions of the fat PS2 were but the later progressive scan version is the most dependable one Sony has made.

My fat original PS2 has never died to being plugged in all the time. It has had DRE problems twice, but those were fixed. Shouldn't be a problem with the Wii...one concern I had though, was when I'd leave a game inside while the system was on standby. The Wii game disc would just be really hot...I rather take out the disc if anything.

I leave everything plugged in. Fat PS2, 6 years old, constantly plugged in and never had a DRE or any other problems (I leave mine horizontal, if that makes a difference). So with Nintendo's track record of nearly indistructable hardware, I leave it plugged in.

I think it's odd to unplug a system after every time you play it unless you don't plan on playing it for like 6 months or longer. What's the point? Do you unplug your TV set after you're done watching a show? or your microwave after you use it? Or your computer after your done with it? Just turning it off or putting it in standby mode is plenty safe for me and I'm pretty sure the consoles are not going break just because the power cord is left plugged in all the time.

It's meant to be plugged in all the time. It has features that support it. Just leave it on and you'll be fine.

I've got all my systems and tv plugged into an outlet with a wallswitch. I flip the switch off when I'm not using it. I don't like that the 360 power block and the side of the wii stay rather warm even when they're not in use. Even if it's not harmful it bugs me and has to be wasting power. Also I hate that I can hear my tv power up when I flip the wallswitch on, even thought the tv is still off.

I keep everything plugged in, and in standby mode when possible, no way Id ever flip the wall switch off as all my tvs have tivo boxes (switching 2 over soon to HDDVR's)

If you are worried about the PS2's why not flip the switch on the back of it

I just turn mine off (hold down until red light) so it doesn't get warm. I've never had problems with my PS2 in standby like that either, and I've had it for years.

I've never had a problem leaving any of my systems plugged in all the time. I've never seen any reason to unplug if I'll be using them often enough.

I leave mine plugged in, but have the WiiConnect turned off since it's completely useless at the moment and sucks a constant 8 watts.

No Wii Weather channel for me, but I think it sucks anyways. My RSS homepage has a much better weather feed.

this reminds me, when I was a kid, my dad would freak out if we left the Atari 2600 adapter plugged in all the time. We would always have to unplug it after every use because he heard somewhere that the adapters burn out over time when left plugged in. I think this is where this stems from. I think there is some truth to it, even though I've never had an adapter burn out on me from being left plugged in the wall when not in use, those old adapters weren't very reliable.

Even if it was true back then, that was 25 years ago, I'd like to think technology has advanced to the point that your home electronics can be left plugged into an oultet when not in use with no danger of them breaking. Even so, I tempt fate to this day by leaving my old NES and Atari 2600 adapters plugged in at all times, if for no other reason then to spite my dad 25 years later.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Does unplugging the Wii or PS2 reset the clock? I know it did with the Xbox and Dreamcast.[/quote]

No. Both the PS2 and Wii have internal batteries, so they keep the time when you unplug them.

I don't unplug my Wii, but lately I've been turning it completely off after I noticed that when I leave it on standby mode it would get warm all the time...that worried me...

I am worried about keeping my PS3 in standby mode, I never kept my PS2 in standby mode, and as a launch product it is still running..

Moreover, I know this is probably a widely known fact. But if you have a PS2 and a 360 do not plug them into the same power supply. The 360 steals so much power when you try to play the PS2 it has a good chance of giving you DRE's...

I mean - I keep all my stuff plugged in all the time - just plug it in to a line conditioner or surge protector or something and try not to worry about it.

[quote name='angrywolf']I don't unplug my Wii, but lately I've been turning it completely off after I noticed that when I leave it on standby mode it would get warm all the time...that worried me...[/quote]It does that, but it doesn't continue to get hotter. For example, I haven't taken mine out of standby in, I don't know, 4 days? And it's just as hot as it is after being in standby for a day. It's simply the fact that it's pumping out 8 or 10 watts and has no fan running.

Why would you unplug anything? That just doesn't make sense. Do you unplug every appliance in your house when you're not using them?

only when I transport it.

from what I understand, you lose your VC saves if you unplug it (unless the game has it's own save system.)

[quote name='botticus']It does that, but it doesn't continue to get hotter. For example, I haven't taken mine out of standby in, I don't know, 4 days? And it's just as hot as it is after being in standby for a day. It's simply the fact that it's pumping out 8 or 10 watts and has no fan running.[/QUOTE]

Still makes me a bit nervous, and I don't like wasting the electric.

Pointless anyway since Wiiconnect24 is 100% useless right now anyway.

Well everything uses electricity when off, just a small amount compared to when it's "on," however. It's okay to leave it plugged in, don't worry about it. If you are going somewhere for an extended amount of time, sure, unplug it.

However, I have to say that I felt too uncomfortable with how hot my Wii got with WiiConnect24 on and had to turn that bitch off. fuck the weather channel (it says it needs to be turned on).

[quote name='Apossum']only when I transport it.

from what I understand, you lose your VC saves if you unplug it (unless the game has it's own save system.)[/quote]
Why wouldn't VC games just use flash memory to save?

You don't lose any VC saves, whoever made that shit up is stupid. It's saved to the system's flash memory and it aint going anywhere.

My systems have always been plugged in when not in use, dating back to the NES. I've had only one system die on me, and that was the Xbox.

Keep it plugged in, and quit being so damn paranoid.

[quote name='Strell']Yeah, I pull out.

That's what this thread is about, right?[/QUOTE]

Ok fine, if nobody else is gonna acknowledge your humor then I will......:lol:

I leave my slim PS2 plugged in all the time...into an UPS (/w surge protection) since that's where my computer and LCD screen are :)

I don't have a Wii yet but will get one soon.

For all you people who are quick to say that unplugging doesn't make sense - I hope you realize that some consoles, like the ps2, recommend that you unplug the machine if you aren't going to use it for a while. The problem is they don't specify how long a "while" is.

I know the Wii is designed to be on all the time because of Wiiconnect24, but it's smart to make sure.

the wii doesnt suck that much juice. the 360 and ps3 on the other hand suck alot. i would never the ps3 hooked up, granted i would never get one, but that is beside the point. so yes, i pull out.

What the fuck?

...and I thought the weirdos who turned the PS2 off with the rear switch had mental issues. Who the hell actually unplugs their console?

[quote name='Tokeilos']You don't lose any VC saves, whoever made that shit up is stupid. It's saved to the system's flash memory and it aint going anywhere.[/QUOTE]

yes, I'm just making shit up. :roll:

actually I had read the screen about suspending play wrong. it says it'll go away if you reset or turn off the console while it's making the save.

I leave mine plugged in, it would be hastle to unplug mine every time, my plug is way behind the entertainment center. I think the Wii has a one year warranty ? If it messes up, I will get a new one and then unplug it every time.

[quote name='scsg75']I think it's odd to unplug a system after every time you play it unless you don't plan on playing it for like 6 months or longer. What's the point? Do you unplug your TV set after you're done watching a show? or your microwave after you use it? Or your computer after your done with it? Just turning it off or putting it in standby mode is plenty safe for me and I'm pretty sure the consoles are not going break just because the power cord is left plugged in all the time.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he does it because of the energy vampirism that seems to be a hot bed of political talk.

bread's done
Back