DOA4 vs VF5

MrDemonicAngel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm buying either DOA4 or VF5....which do you guys prefer and why?
Need an answer by tonight....thanks in advance..

edit:
i'm also going to be playing with 1 regular 360 controller and 1 hori arcade stick

edit:
my former favorite fighting games were Tekken series, MvsC2, and Soul Calibur.
Also how are the achievements for either games? is it easy to get?

Dead or Alive 4 is much better.
It doesn't require you to memorize lots of combos to make the game fun.
All the moves smoothly transition between each other.
Counters are extremely fun and nothing else does them nearly as well as DOA.
The graphics are better, especially the animation.
I've heard that online runs a lot smoother, but I haven't actually played VF5 online.

DOA 4 is a button mashing mess. Sure, there's some depth to it, but the game is far too spastic most of the time. VF5, however, is fantastic. You don't have to memorize more than a couple moves, and there's a ridiculous amount of depth to the game. It'll take a little bit longer to get into than DOA4, but once you do, you'll freakin' love it.

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']I'm buying either DOA4 or VF5....which do you guys prefer and why?
Need an answer by tonight....thanks in advance..

edit:
i'm also going to be playing with 1 regular 360 controller and 1 hori arcade stick

edit:
my former favorite fighting games were Tekken series, MvsC2, and Soul Calibur.
Also how are the achievements for either games? is it easy to get?[/QUOTE]

DOA4 is a crappy fighting game, and I enjoyed some of the past ones. VF5 all the way.

before people come in bashing. Both are good in their own way. VF5 is more for people willing to put in the time to learn, DOA4 is easier to jump into. Just to warn you, DOA4 does have a very cheap boss in story mode.

DOA isn't really that good. I played a lot of it back in the day, but that's coz it was the only fighting game that was online at the time... and Kasumi.

[quote name='Chacrana']Kasumi's still hot as fuck tho... that's what DOA4's got going for it. That's about it.[/quote]

This is a completely serious question. Does anybody that is NOT a virgin give a second thought to how "hot" a video game character is? Seriously.

By the way, VF 5 by far.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']This is a completely serious question. Does anybody that is NOT a virgin give a second thought to how "hot" a video game character is? Seriously.

By the way, VF 5 by far.[/quote]

Me.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']This is a completely serious question. Does anybody that is NOT a virgin give a second thought to how "hot" a video game character is? Seriously.

By the way, VF 5 by far.[/QUOTE]
Me. Ayane is the hottest btw.

VF5 is the better game by a mile.

DOA4 has dinosaurs in the background. That's what sold both me and my wife on the game. It also has changable costumes, so it gets the Wombat vote too.

VF5 by a long shot? please.

How much time do you want to put into the game? Do you want a fighter that's fun and easy to learn? Or do you want a fighter that you have to play hours upon hours just practicing one character to get anything out of it? VF is a technical fighter and you've probably heard all this talk about how "realistic" it is or how deep the engine is. The fact is, if you're looking for a game to play for fun, you won't find VF5 very appealing. A lot of people are still wondering what the fuss is about with that game.

I found it to be very boring. You'll spend most of your time in the training room doing the same moves over and over again and if that's what you like, go ahead. VF5 has move lists and maneuvers that you have to know to get any enjoyment out of it. If you don't have the time, you'll just ending up playing a poor man's DOA, mashing buttons and the like without any control and that's just not fun to play.

DOA4 is fun to play. You've got over the top combos and moves. It's easy to get into, difficult to master. It's got lots of variety. Most of the people who bash DOA4 either enjoy VF5 or couldn't get into VF5 because it's too difficult, but they'd rather pick the most in-depth game thinking that's what fighters are all about.

And believe it because VF5 is very deep. If you're looking for that kind of fighter, there is no other.

Oh. I forgot DOA4 also has friggin monkeys in the background! We were sold at dinosaurs, so the monkeys were a very nice bonus when we brought it home.

VF5 is the deepest fighting game on the planet. If that's your bag, it's the greatest ever made.

DOA4 is great if you want to mash some buttons (and stand a chance of winning that way) and look at some titties and ninjas.

There are merits to both.

It's all personal preference really.

I love the DOA games. My love is not really for its depth, but rather how extreme it is. I just love being able to have two sexy women duke it out on a scyscraper, and then have one kick the other off the building. It's just chock full kickass fun like that.

Virtua Fighter on the other hand probably has a little bit more depth, which can either be a bad or good thing. However, it just has this real stiffness or realistic feel to it I'm not totally fond of. Don't get me wrong I like the game, it's just DOA takes the cake for me, whether it's for visuals or just pure, visceral fun.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Virtua Fighter on the other hand probably has a little bit more depth,[/QUOTE]

There's no "probably" or "little" about it.

Not knockin on DOA; just sayin'.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']There's no "probably" or "little" about it.

Not knockin on DOA; just sayin'.[/quote]

You're probably a little right. ;)

titties and ninjas, what else do you want?

DOA4 is fun to pick up and play, not all your buddies maybe into fighting games but everyone can get into DOA4

now i havent played virtua fighter yet, but i hear its great also(cant judge by a demo) just not $30 great, i'll wait til its $20

and yea like someone said you'll be very pissed off at the boss in DOA4, very pissed!

Asking for advice on a fighting game on CAG is akin to asking the deaf how awesome some piece of music is.

Most CAG's dont know shit about fighting games, and the ones that do hang out in the Fighter Thread.

Ask the question there.

I've played a lot of fighters and here is my rundown real fast

VF5
- dull stages
-good selection of fighters and fighting styles
-good character balance (some chars require more practce to understand that balance)
- solid depth
-no story mode and the online arcade mode is boring

DOA
-more interactive and exciting backgrounds
-more character personality
-faster paced
-more button mashy but has some solid depth
-good character balance
-better arena selection for practice mode
-faster gameplay

I prefer DOA due to its faster pace and counter system. VF5 felt plodding and a bit slow to me but its more of a methodical game type where your looking for an opening or a weakness to exploit a nice hard hitting combo. So it really depends on the style of fighter you prefer. Quicker matches that are faster paced or a more methodical look for an opening gameplay.

In short I'd call VF more like a fighting simulator and DOA more of an arcade style fighter it depends which type you prefer.

[quote name='strdr4']VF5 by a long shot? please.

How much time do you want to put into the game? Do you want a fighter that's fun and easy to learn? Or do you want a fighter that you have to play hours upon hours just practicing one character to get anything out of it? VF is a technical fighter and you've probably heard all this talk about how "realistic" it is or how deep the engine is. The fact is, if you're looking for a game to play for fun, you won't find VF5 very appealing. A lot of people are still wondering what the fuss is about with that game.

I found it to be very boring. You'll spend most of your time in the training room doing the same moves over and over again and if that's what you like, go ahead. VF5 has move lists and maneuvers that you have to know to get any enjoyment out of it. If you don't have the time, you'll just ending up playing a poor man's DOA, mashing buttons and the like without any control and that's just not fun to play.

DOA4 is fun to play. You've got over the top combos and moves. It's easy to get into, difficult to master. It's got lots of variety. Most of the people who bash DOA4 either enjoy VF5 or couldn't get into VF5 because it's too difficult, but they'd rather pick the most in-depth game thinking that's what fighters are all about.

And believe it because VF5 is very deep. If you're looking for that kind of fighter, there is no other.[/quote]

A poor man's DOA? Lol, now granted, I haven't played VF5, but the DOA series has always been a poor man's VF to me. But hey, you could always go play DOA Volleyball :roll:

haha this thread has been much less snobby than I anticipated :p

A few other people pretty much nailed it already. VF5 is the better fighting game, but it's entirely possible that a person might have more FUN with DOA 4. It depends on your tastes and how you plan on approaching the game.

Me, for example... I would never try and make a case that Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was a better fighting game than the Virtua Fighter series. Yet I would much rather play UMK3 than VF, because I just enjoy it more.

A question I'd ask is, do you plan on playing a lot of LOCAL multiplayer? If so, that's another reason to lean towards DOA4. Because even if you put the time and energy into learning VF5, you'd kinda lose the fun of it when there's a huge learning gap between you and your friends.

[quote name='mike.m']A poor man's DOA? Lol, now granted, I haven't played VF5, but the DOA series has always been a poor man's VF to me. But hey, you could always go play DOA Volleyball :roll:[/quote]

Reading comprehension.

Let me repeat myself.

"If you don't have the time, you'll just ending up playing a poor man's DOA, mashing buttons and the like without any control and that's just not fun to play."

Meaning, if you don't have the time to take into the steep learning curve,you'll just be mashing buttons, not knowing any counters, dodges, combos, thus playing a poor man's DOA.

The FACT that you haven't even played VF5 says to me you're just like the ones I've described. Your opinion is not valid.

[quote name='jkanownik']Oh. I forgot DOA4 also has friggin monkeys in the background! We were sold at dinosaurs, so the monkeys were a very nice bonus when we brought it home.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and nothing says fun like a fighting game where the animals in the background leap out and can kill you.

And InuFaye - Asking diehard fighting game fans which is better, DOA4 or VF5, might also be akin to asking to be made fun of.

FACT.

Virtua Fighter 5> DOA4.

I love DOA, but its simply stupid to say it contains a deeper and more polished fighting engine.

Its easy because scrubs can just slam on the counter.

FACT

Fighting games nerds are way nerdier than most gaming nerds.

FACT

More titties > less titties

FACT

Some monkeys and dinosaurs > no monkeys and dinosaurs

[quote name='InuFaye']FACT.

Virtua Fighter 5> DOA4.

I love DOA, but its simply stupid to say it contains a deeper and more polished fighting engine.

Its easy because scrubs can just slam on the counter.[/QUOTE]

I really think the counter syster has gotten deeper since DOAU, when they added the 4th direction for countering middle attacks

I can say that I enjoyed DOA4 more then VF. VF is the better game, but its not my type of fighter. I enjoyed most of the same fighters that the OP likes (MvC2, Tekken) so take it for whats its worth.

Also, I enjoy Ryu for Ninja Gaiden, cause he is a ass kicker in the game.

[quote name='jkanownik']FACT

FACT

FACT

Some monkeys and dinosaurs > no monkeys and dinosaurs[/quote]

Word.

[quote name='jkanownik']FACT

FACT

FACT

Some monkeys and dinosaurs > no monkeys and dinosaurs[/QUOTE]

FACT

When the main recommendation for a fighting game is titties, monkeys, and dinosaurs...it probably isn't a very good fighting game.

It really depends on what you're looking to do. If you just wanna have fun, go with DOA. If you truly want to be a good player at fighting games, pick up VF and train, train, train.

I'd go with VF5 anyday of the week but I understand that some people don't want to put the time into a game that no one will play with them. It's no fun to be the best VF player in your neighborhood when you're the ONLY VF player in the neighborhood.

Oh, and you could've put a poll in that would've helped you with your question.

thats just it going into training and train train train isn't fun. The arcade mode for VF for many of is "isn't" fun. Don't get me wrong I think its a well balanced fighting game but its not really that "fun" and if your not having fun why the hell are you playing the game?

VF5 > DOA 4. Any "real" competitive fighting nerd would say the same.

You go to tall the big fighting game tournaments and tell those nerds that DOA 4 is better and you'll get worst backleash then you would in Korean telling the Koreans that Starcraft is a horrible RTS.

WORD UP.

[quote name='PhoenixT']thats just it going into training and train train train isn't fun. The arcade mode for VF for many of is "isn't" fun. Don't get me wrong I think its a well balanced fighting game but its not really that "fun" and if your not having fun why the hell are you playing the game?[/quote]

The satisfaction of knowing that you can hold your own at the best fighting game. To be recognized as the best at the best game is an accomplishment that not many forget. Why did people pour quarters into a game they had already beaten? To beat the high score. Even if it was just three initials, you could always walk by the machine and point at your name with pride. You may dismiss it as kid stuff but this is a video gaming website.

Well, the better, longer term game is VF5. I don't think that's really up for debate (I think the makers of DOA would quickly concede that).

But, I'm also wondering, what sort of person asks this question. Is it someone that is a fighting game afficianado, or someone who is just looking to get a game to kill some time with and have some fun? I'm guessing the 2nd.

Even though I haven't played either of these games (I've played past games in both series), I'm guessing DOA might fit the bill better. You will pick this game up faster and feel like you are making progress. On VF, your first few hours (if you don't have past experience) are going to be tough. It's a great game, but you won't be ass kicking quickly.

So, if you have the time and patience, VF is the way to go. For pick up and play, DOA fits the bill and really isn't a bad series overall (and pretty much every game in the series has gotten the knocks that this one has, all flash and no substance).

Well, the better, longer term game is VF5. I don't think that's really up for debate (I think the makers of DOA would quickly concede that).
Hm, didn't Itakagi say that he had reached the pinnacle of the fighting genre with DOA4?

[quote name='heavyd853']Hm, didn't Itakagi say that he had reached the pinnacle of the fighting genre with DOA4?[/quote]

Yes, according to Itagaki, all you need is DOA and Ninja Gaiden and all your gaming needs will be satisfied. He also goes out of his way to diss Tekken but he really doesn't say much about VF other than it's slow.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Monsta Jack.. the similarity in our posts AND avatars is astounding.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, but please don't call me Jack. lol.

bread's done
Back