Doctor Who Collections?

jamek87

CAG Veteran
Hey all I really don't want to just start asking for deals but.... Does anybody know the cheapest place to buy Doctor Who Series Collections on DVD or Possibly Blu?
I know deals for these are probably Few and Far between

I mostly mean the new Doctor (David Tennant,Chris Eccleston) but I eventually want the older stuff too. Any help would be awesome

I'd be interested in this myself...picked up Disc 1 and 4 of Season 1 from gamedealdaily.com (or is it gamedailydeal.com...I can never remember) a while back for $1.95 each UMD format. I wouldn't mind having the set on DVD as well. Just got caught up with Season 4 on Netflix last night.

I've been looking for good deals for over a year, it's hard to find any good deals on new ones. Most places sale for about MRSP so you can check even Borders and B&N during their 50% off sales.

I did get the Beginning Collection for around $16 on buy.com last year, this the first 3 or 4 stories of the original Doctor from the 60's. The DVDs of the older ones are sold by story number and a story a lot of the times was 4-6 half hour episodes. There is over 150 stories. Of the originals if I'm remembering right Tom Baker's Doctor would be the closest to the new ones. His companion was Sarah Jane (who came back a season or 2 ago).

As for Blu-Ray (I've got this info from another site, so can't guarantee if I'm remembering it right) I think those didn't start till the newer specials from this past mini season (All but the first was shot in digital). All others was shot in the lower quality format.

If you do find any good deals please post them.

If you have or can get a region free player - it is much, much cheaper to import the british versions. (from amazon uk, for example)

If you want blu-rays, even better because the the british blus are already region free.
the specials from last year and all of torchwood are available on blu, but the previous DW seasons probably are only going to be on dvd b/c they were shot on video.

[quote name='pablo9000']If you have or can get a region free player - it is much, much cheaper to import the british versions. (from amazon uk, for example)

If you want blu-rays, even better because the the british blus are already region free.
the specials from last year and all of torchwood are available on blu, but the previous DW seasons probably are only going to be on dvd b/c they were shot on video.[/QUOTE]

just a quick question about the blu's... been looking at the torchwood collection from amazon.co.uk... but the blu-ray region sites I've looked at list it as being region free but 50hz.... which 50hz is PAL... but I've never got a straight answer as to whether or not they actually require PAL support.

as for deals... borders.com currently has a 40% off coupon for box sets... BDB7496K which works on the doctor who sets and brings them to ~50+ tax... not a great price but a little better than amazon.

Hmm yeah about Amazon UK.
Do you just buy them like normal and it takes longer to ship? And are the Blus for sure playable on an American player? I use a Ps3 for example.

The price on the complete Torchwood Collection is ridiculously good compared to buying the series over here.

Amazon had them both on sale last year during Black Friday for ~$40 a piece which was the cheapest I've ever seen them. I have Seasons 1 and 2 and the first OST. I kept watching but Season 3 w/o Billie Piper was a turn-off, though even I admit I disliked how her character was in Season 4 (it was like she forgot how to play as Rose). Anyways, I'm very much looking forward to the new season (starts April 17). I might just refrain from watching so I can pick them all up in a boxed set. Matt Smith and Amy Pond seem to be an awesome duo.

Aww man i never knew about the black friday deals for the doctor.

And yes Matt Smith is Pretty awesome as the new Doctor. I've seen the first two episodes of the new series. I'm impressed so far.

Oh I'm since I'm replying again and there are people posting here I'll ask this.

On the Dvd/Blu Collections of Doctor and Torchwood is anything Different from TV? Like are there any directors cut Episodes or... Are there any bad things about them?

Dang it I never thought of trying my BD player to see if it's region free but just tried a British DVD and it says cannot operate this disc :(

[quote name='jamek87']Aww man i never knew about the black friday deals for the doctor.

And yes Matt Smith is Pretty awesome as the new Doctor. I've seen the first two episodes of the new series. I'm impressed so far.

Oh I'm since I'm replying again and there are people posting here I'll ask this.

On the Dvd/Blu Collections of Doctor and Torchwood is anything Different from TV? Like are there any directors cut Episodes or... Are there any bad things about them?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm ... I don't recall anything really different from the TV show itself. There are no deleted scenes or anything like that if that's what you're asking. However, there are audio commentaries, the DW confidentials and then there are a number of little other extras (like Billie Piper walking around the set with a video camera taping her colleagues and Tenant). Sorry I can't post all of them -- I'm away at school and don't have them on me.

I can also only speak to seasons 1 and 2. Not sure if BBC decided to up the ante on extras on 3, 4 and 5.

[quote name='jamek87']Hmm yeah about Amazon UK.
Do you just buy them like normal and it takes longer to ship? And are the Blus for sure playable on an American player? I use a Ps3 for example.

The price on the complete Torchwood Collection is ridiculously good compared to buying the series over here.[/QUOTE]

When you order from amazon.uk you use the same account and payment method you use on amazon.com. Delivery does take a little longer but the 2 things I have ordered only took about a week. I highly recommend it if you want British shows.

From what I understand, the BBC has erased some of it's older (and I'll bet based by quality) master tapes, so if there hasn't already been a blu release, then there might not be.

I'm not sure how far back they're starting/finishing for erasing their old masters, but I've heard that it does include some earlier Dr. Who.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Tom Baker - I recently found some episodes floating around the web that have me all nostalgic, but I must admit, the bulk of the show seems kinda lame, now (like how a giant bug larvae would just be a guy in green bubble wrap).

[quote name='romeogbs19']Hmmm ... I don't recall anything really different from the TV show itself. There are no deleted scenes or anything like that if that's what you're asking. However, there are audio commentaries, the DW confidentials and then there are a number of little other extras (like Billie Piper walking around the set with a video camera taping her colleagues and Tenant). Sorry I can't post all of them -- I'm away at school and don't have them on me.

I can also only speak to seasons 1 and 2. Not sure if BBC decided to up the ante on extras on 3, 4 and 5.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone confirm or debunk that BBC America airings are edited down further from the original BBC broadcasts due to timing and possibly content? Does this also affect the regional DVD collections?

Seeing as I don't know what I may be missing, it has never hurt my enjoyment. There was also something I read in passing that even the DW Confidentials are chopped in the US DVD. :whistle2:k

BTW, I do own all seasons of the newer DW US dvds - just nothing to compare them to.

If you need a fix, you might as well just get Netflix streaming while you wait for a sale. I was pleasantly surprised that the Chris and David seasons are all available now. No special features though.

DVDs of the show are not edited.
BBCAmerica sometimes cuts down the show, but this isnt the version you get with the DVDs that are released here.

If you are a fan of the classic series, the space museum/chase set featuring the first doctor will have a couple of seconds cut out because of the Beatles appearance that was featured in the show.

Thanks for the clarification JokerCard. Guess it was the Sci-Fi/SyFy Channel that did the messy hatchet job.

I'm a fan of the new series, though I remember Tom Baker as Doctor Who when my parents used to watch it on PBS. That trippy opening theme always meant another scary ass show filled with evil aliens and robots.

Cautiously waiting for #11 this Saturday on BBCAmerica. Hard to give up Tennant as 10.

Man, I wish the DW dvds would go down in price. On Amazon.co.uk it costs about $120 for the whole series, before shipping.

There sure are a lot of bootlegs in Amazon. "Asian or Canadian version" my butt.

Finding these sets on a deal is veryyyyyy rare. Your best bet is to just monitor prices on Amazon for awhile to see if they dip. Sometimes they do.

Otherwise all four seasons of the reboot are on Netflix Instant Watch.

Pleasantly surprised by 11. Loved Amy Pond!!! I can now bid Tennant a fond farewell and not feel resentment about Matt Smith taking over as The Doctor.

He's different, but still likable. The physical ticks weren't as natural, but hell that was just 1 ep so far. Yay that I can continue to enjoy the series.

*relief*

The new Who seasons were actually all on sale in last years Amazon's daily black friday deals. All the seasons were around $20-$25, which is a really good price for them.

As for the older "seasons", unfortunately you're going to be fairly out of luck on most of them.

The thing is with the older "seasons" is that there isn't really a full set for each of the older series mainly because a lot of the episodes from the older series were lost (funny huh), and some of these lost episodes have been remade as the flash webisodes that some of you Who fans might be familiar with, but it is because of this, many of the older seasons are actually incomplete. In general you would have to buy each of the who series by a single or two DVD pack at a time. There is no super pack for any of the older Who series. I've searched far and wide everywhere, but there just isn't one unfortunately. And I had to find the majority of all of them off BBC, and many of them you couldn't even track since they so old and not on BBC anymore, so I had to look elsewhere.

If you were planning to collect for the sake of completeness, it would probably be easier to just start with the new Who series anyways.

Anyways, best of luck on your search for Who.
*Doctor Who theme music*

Burping this for anyone who wants the Amazon VOD versions of Nu Doctor Who. Sure it's not a disc, but it's a nice .99 cents sale per ep for seasons 1-5. Choice of standard or HD - same cost. (Go with HD since you also get SD) Not sure when the sale started, or when it ends. Season purchase can be much cheaper depending on season.

I picked up the first and last two eps of S5 w/ Matt Smith since those are the shows I enjoyed most and aren't on Netflix streaming. No iTunes portables, but you can watch online, download to your computer, or one of their compatible devices.

Figure someone might be interested as these still cost 2.99 on iTunes. Good alternative with Amazon VOD.

There was a sale at costco where they had all 4 seasons for $39.99 each. I havent seen them for a couple of weeks now but thats where i picked up mine.

bread's done
Back