Doctor WHo the Complete First Series (2006 - Eccleston) $22.49 Amazon.com

MAN! The US DVDs are waaay too expensive... which is exactly why I bought the 4-season DVD set fromAmazon.co.uk

...I also see it as a bonus that the UK DVDs are in their original (PAL) format..

[quote name='DNukem170']I never understood why the sets were so expensive. Aren't UK DVDs a different region?[/QUOTE]

You can get region free DVD/BLU players, and sometimes the disc theselves might be region free.

[quote name='DNukem170']I never understood why the sets were so expensive. Aren't UK DVDs a different region?[/QUOTE]

UK DVDs are, indeed, Region 2... but I have a region-free player and I have DVD Region Killer on my laptop, so it's really not an issue.

I wish I had a setup capable of playing the 1080i50 Blu-ray discs they've been releasing (as they're slightly higher quality than the US 1080i60 due to lack of standards conversion... with 1080i50 being essentially the same as the episodes' native 1080p25) but I've been lucky enough to find some pretty good deals on they complete series sets in their first week of release... I'm still looking for a decent price on 'Torchwood: Miracle Day', however; $45 is quite a bit more than I'm willing to pay for that hot mess... ;)

Don't let this fool you. This item is the new 'cheap/basic' packaging. I was expecting the actual container to be of the Tardis and fold out to show the interior of the Tardis. (Like what you find on the other Amazon listing for the same product.) I was also expecting a paper episode guide that this did not have. I blame myself for not researching more, but I'm still disappointed. It's simple like any other DVD case you would get with a regular movie, except the inside has slots for five discs. Needless to say I'm bummed out. But I guess that's what I get for buying it for only $23.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Co...iewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I been watching Series 1 (okay, not series 1, but the Eccelston series) with the wife and MAN is it CAMPY. I mean, if Alan Carr and Larry Grayson had a love child and made it into a TV show, it would be Doctor Who.

Somebody, PLEASE tell me it gets better, because it's been horrible so far (the last episode I saw was the return of the Dalek who was all sad)

Yea, it gets better, but the Doctor after Eccelston, David Tennant, is a really big ham and chews the scenery as only the hammiest actors can. The series never loses its camp (there would be riots if it did) but it does get more serious in future seasons. If you are expecting a tone like Stargate SG-1 or Battlestar Galactaca, though, you might as well stop now.

[quote name='DNukem170']Yea, it gets better, but the Doctor after Eccelston, David Tennant, is a really big ham and chews the scenery as only the hammiest actors can. The series never loses its camp (there would be riots if it did) but it does get more serious in future seasons. If you are expecting a tone like Stargate SG-1 or Battlestar Galactaca, though, you might as well stop now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I wasn't expecting a "serious" Sci-Fi show, but from what the rabid fans say about Doctor Who... I dunno, I was expecting something... not so... ah? camp is the only word I can think of. It almost comes across as a farce at times (the farting aliens - I'm looking at you!)

I really hope it does get better as I bought the Wife the Tennant collection that was on sale at Amazon a few weeks ago.

Dalek is pretty much the turning point of series 1, that episode and the episodes which follow trend more toward the serious. I quite like Eccelston's portrayal because as the season progresses you come to learn how much of a front that happy, bubbly, campy exterior is and what it hides underneath. After that approach I was not a fan of Tennant's manic, smarmyness in Series 2. I am just starting series 3 currently.

Just noticed that the complete season 5 on BLU is also $19.99 (so I grabbed that too)

Watched the episode after "Dalek" last night (The one with Simon Pegg) and the show seems to have turned a corner to me

bread's done
Back