Does 720p work in 4:3?

Dezuria

CAGiversary!
Right now I have a 32" Standard TV. I like the large screen but the flicker of the interlacing really bugs me in a lot of games, and 480i won't be so hot for the PS3 or even the Wii.

I saw a TV at wal-mart the other day that was listed as a HDTV that supported 720p. It's a 27" 4:3 Tube TV, which is fine because I don't care about widescreen or LCDs much, espcially since that one is only $350!

However, I just read that 720p assumes widescreen. How could a 4:3 TV even do 720p if that is true? And is it also true that a tube TV can't do true progressive scan?

I can't really afford a $1000+ widescreen LCD. :)

720p does assume widescreen. As far as I know, a 4:3 TV just ups the resolution to something comparable that ends in X 720 (for example, 1280 X 720.) It'll still look pretty good, but if you're going to be throwing down cash for a new TV, I wouldn't even consider a 4:3 TV anymore... everything is moving towards widescreen so if you want to get something that'll let you take advantage of new consoles' better graphical capabilities, you'll need widescreen... and really, it makes a huge difference considering that you can see a ton more of what's going on around you.

I would say that widescreen is more important than HD/ED.

In a few years you will NOT be happy with square-o-vision, and you will wish you would have gone with a widescreen HDTV.

it will work. but to do 720p your either going to have black bars, or if you strech it to 4:3, your image on screen will look squished, you could probably get a 27 wide for about 50 bucks more and be a lot happier down the road

I agree with Chacrana and Doom Gaze, a 16:9 wide-screen television is a much better investment than a 4:3 one.

I don't know any specific televisions off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure you can find a nice 16:9 TV for just a little more than a 4:3 one.

If your going to drop $400 on a tv look around and you could find a widescreen somewhere for the same price. I would agree with DG having widescreen tv is more important then a HD.

You need to find out what the true resolution of the TV is to judge. For a 4:3 display to offer a true 720p image it will require that its resolution be something like 1280x960 or greater to compensate for the screen dimensions by letter boxing.

This would be much like using a non-widescreen PC monitor for displaying 720p.

So, I don't know any of the technical aspects of it, but I do know that Soul Calbur 2 for the xbox ONLY does 720p in 4:3, not 16:9. But I agree with the earlier posts about how widescreen is spectacular.

If I recall, Soul Calibur 2 for the xbox was 480p if you wanted it in widescreen mode but, if you ran it at 720p it added the black bars around the side. I assume because of the technical limitations of the game. I've never seen it displayed on a 4:3 television but I assume that the bars aren't there.

bread's done
Back