Does Amazon use USPS Media Mail for their Standard shipping service?

norkusa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
When you pay for Standard shipping on Amazon.com, do they always use USPS Media Mail to ship? I just ordered a dvd from them over the weekend and paid extra for Standard shipping (3-5 days). I could have chosen the free Super Saver shipping but it was to be a birthday gift for a family member and I needed it by a certain date. Yesterday I get an email conformation saying that it shipped and expected delivery date is on the 15th (6 days after ship date).

I haven't received it yet but the tracking info indicates they're using USPS Media Mail to ship. Is this how they always send out items with Standard shipping? They did the exact same thing to me a couple months ago. I paid extra for Standard because the item was a gift, they shipped it out via Media Mail, and it arrived late.

If I want faster shipping, should I just choose the free Super Saver next time?

If you get it after the 3-5 day mark e-mail them and they should at least refund the shipping. If you want to get a refund, they'll let you print a pre-paid label and refund you the cost of the DVD and your shipping costs (both ways).

[quote name='SpiderLocMTGO']If you get it after the 3-5 day mark e-mail them and they should at least refund the shipping. If you want to get a refund, they'll let you print a pre-paid label and refund you the cost of the DVD and your shipping costs (both ways).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I did last time and they gave me a refund for the shipping costs. It looks like they're using Media for the second time in a row now, so that's making me think it's not a mistake and something they intentionally do.

There's nothing on Amazon that says exactly what they use for Standard shipping (just that they use multiple carriers). Only says "3-5 days" for Standard. USPS site says Media is a 6 day service, so it looks like they used it again for this order.

Shipping estimates always start at the day after they ship... for example, if they ship it on the 5th and say it'll take 5 days to get to you, that means it'll get to you on the 11th, not the 10th. Mail centers (think of it like a local post office, or in this case, Amazon themselves as they ship so many things) do not send out packages to distribution centers (large centers where it's processed) until the end of the day and when mail from all the centers in said city/area has been collected.

But as for using Media Mail that's probably them being cheap. They use Media Mail for Free Shipping all the time but the difference between Standard and Free shipping is how long they take to ship usually.

Either way, if it doesn't get to you on the 6th day from when they ship, I'd argue it.

Free Super Saver shipping for items like movies, games and CD's is always media mail from my years of dealing with them.

For other items that really aren't media mail shippable, they use UPS Ground. I've ordered cookware and small appliances from them with super saver shipping, and it was UPS Ground. Same goes for TV's I've ordered for work from them.

dont mean to bump an old topic up, but how long did the free shipping take? i wanna get gta 4 from them, but i dont want to have it 5 days after the release, id like to get it within 2 or 3.

to me amazon is weird . maybe because i am getting stuff from the lagoon sites. some items come ups and other come usps. so not sure how to give you a direct answer when i am still confused

bread's done
Back