Does anyone buy DRM free MP3's?

fathamburger

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
It got me wondering since I recently read about them. I stopped listening to any kind of popular music years ago (game and movie soundtracks are my thing nowadays) so I'm really out of the loop with the whole iTunes thing etc.
I've asked a few people I know and most were as new to it as I was since I all I remember are crippled DRM downloads etc that just made it not worth bothering with back in the day. So now that things are DRM free and are supposed to be as easy as going to a torrent, who's buying?
No one I know is, so I'm wondering if these guys are making any money at all.

I buy them from Amazon every once in a while.

I've decided to stop torrenting for now (bored of it after downloading 200+ GBs) and the prices/quality of MP3s on Amazon aren't that bad at all.

I'm waiting for Itunes to make them the norm.

in other words, I'm holding my breath for the music industry to wake up and smell the coffee.

I buy them off iTunes and gut the DRM out with either of a couple programs I probably can't mention without pissing someone off.

I don't have audiophile ears, so I don't mind the miniscule quality loss from re-compression.

Amazon is set to absolutely destroy iTunes if they can build a comparable library (and then some). They dumped DRM and I think their prices might be cheaper than iTunes even.

[quote name='peteloaf']I subscribe to emusic. I pay $20 a month for 90 songs. It's all DRM free.[/quote]

Me, too. What I can't get from eMusic I buy on CD or from Amazon MP3.

(Except for Metropolis Records releases, which I always buy on CD.)

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Amazon is set to absolutely destroy iTunes if they can build a comparable library (and then some). They dumped DRM and I think their prices might be cheaper than iTunes even.[/QUOTE]

They're also being more flexible, allowing the record labels to have some say in how the songs are priced (within a certain range) instead of pricing every song at $0.99. The record labels seem to like the extra flexibility.

As for me, I still buy my music on CDs. If I were to purchase songs via digital distribution, I'd go DRM-free only, and most likely through Amazon.

I normally buy the CD and rip it myself. Between Amazon Marketplace, Yourmusic.com, deep discount, etc, it's usually cheaper than the 89-99 cents a song most etailers want for digital format.
If I do buy digital music, it's DRM free.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'd rather buy the CD. You get a hard copy and the sound quality is much better.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on sound quality. However eMusic has helped me find and discover quite a bit of music that otherwise I would never of found.

I just buy my music on CDs and make FLAC files of them. Then I convert to MP3s as the need presents itself.

I don't really know much about music, so I'm still learning about various genres, etc. I suppose I should look into something like Emusic.

Emusic is great if you like independent / small label stuff. Huge selection of realy great stuff. All of their mp3s are in a variable bit rate making them sound close to cd quality. Besides if you are worried about sound quality, buy vinyl. Cds being a digital format are subject to a limited sound spectrum anyway.

I still buy vinyl and CDs but as far as DRM free it is Emusic mostly because the have the best selection and price for underground/independent music I listen to. Everyone is going DRM Free from the Zune Marketplace, Amazon, CDbaby, Hiphopsite, and even iTunes has some DRM free music. It is alot easier to support artist now and being able to play my music on my mp3 player, xbox 360, PSP, computer or thumbdrive.

When I actually pay for an MP3 I try to buy the ones without DRM if at all possible. I've only picked up a few songs via iTunes but those were for the wife who only listens to them on her iPod anyway. :D

bread's done
Back