Does anyone know if Disney is planning on re-releasing The Great Mouse Detective...?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
...again this year or is it going back into the vault? I only ask because I was at my BB this week and saw it for $9.99. I've always wanted to have it on DVD and it's one of my absolute favorite Disney flicks. It's severly underrated and I'm not sure its sale price doesn't signify that it's going back into their stupid ass "vault" or something.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']...again this year or is it going back into the vault? I only ask because I was at my BB this week and saw it for $9.99. I've always wanted to have it on DVD and it's one of my absolute favorite Disney flicks. It's severly underrated and I'm not sure its sale price doesn't signify that it's going back into their stupid ass "vault" or something.[/quote]

I haven't heard anything over at DVDTalk hicupleftovers.

I agree that it's a great film but it never achieved "timeless" status like Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Fantasia, and others from the vault have.

I would think that you should buy it and enjoy it.

I don't think anything in the "Gold Collection" goes back in the Vault. A Goofy Movie (second only to Aladdin) has been around for years.

[quote name='WebScud']I don't think anything in the "Gold Collection" goes back in the Vault. A Goofy Movie (second only to Aladdin) has been around for years.[/quote]

They discontinue the Gold Collection ones about a year or so prior to it's release on the 2 disc collection. Then it goes into "The Vault."

They do this with most dvds. Like Scarface for instance, it was released very early in DVD format but then discontinued. Then for some anniversary bullshit they put it back out on Dvd.

Yup, one of my favorite movies. I had it on vhs and then it got caught in the vcr when I was little.......so it was ruined

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']They discontinue the Gold Collection ones about a year or so prior to it's release on the 2 disc collection. Then it goes into "The Vault."

They do this with most dvds. Like Scarface for instance, it was released very early in DVD format but then discontinued. Then for some anniversary bullshit they put it back out on Dvd.[/quote]
Oh, that Disney cycle.

I can surmise that we will get a brand new edition of the film, but it may not be in time for DVD.
Disney has this new concerted effort after the release of Meet the Robinsons to put out "OverLooked Treasures" into 3D and rerelease them to theatres. The Great Mouse Detective being one of them (filmick and jimhillmedia had this story, you'll have to search for it on the sites because its a little dated).
I would imagine they would put out a new DVD for this, but it might be in the next generation with a bunch of special features and such to promote the next generation. DVD had Platinum series, HDDVD/BluRay will have Overlooked Treasures or whatever.
Or they could skip 3D rerelease and go straight for the collectors market again. I'm banking that they will put out a 2 disc DVD of TGMD next year because this 3D digital thing just won't happen for old movies, but they will have remastered it, so why not release it. That's all just a smige of Speculation, and getting the Gold Editionright now will be fine if you haven't wtched it in a while.

[quote name='oansun']I can surmise that we will get a brand new edition of the film, but it may not be in time for DVD.
Disney has this new concerted effort after the release of Meet the Robinsons to put out "OverLooked Treasures" into 3D and rerelease them to theatres. The Great Mouse Detective being one of them (filmick and jimhillmedia had this story, you'll have to search for it on the sites because its a little dated).
I would imagine they would put out a new DVD for this, but it might be in the next generation with a bunch of special features and such to promote the next generation. DVD had Platinum series, HDDVD/BluRay will have Overlooked Treasures or whatever.
Or they could skip 3D rerelease and go straight for the collectors market again. I'm banking that they will put out a 2 disc DVD of TGMD next year because this 3D digital thing just won't happen for old movies, but they will have remastered it, so why not release it. That's all just a smige of Speculation, and getting the Gold Editionright now will be fine if you haven't wtched it in a while.[/quote]

You talk like DVD is already dead:roll: It isn't even close to dead. I was just wondering if they were going to pull another Fox and the Hound on this one and come out with the super 2-disc deluxe edition soon.

bread's done
Back