Does anyone use the Vongo movie DL service?

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
I hope this is considered the proper forum for such a thread... Anyhow this service has intrigued me for a little while now and it seems like they even have new holiday TV ads now. I've visited the website and tried to dig up info, but I really want first hand experiences. It seems like that almost always makes for a better picture.

Is it reliable? What's the selection like? Does it work well with portable video devices like the Toshiba Gigabeat S? How does it compare to something else like iTunes?

Just basic stuff like that. Actually any input at all about the service would be helpful because right now I only know the basics about how it works. Thanks in advance...

I haven't used it, but about two weeks ago I was also intrigued so I did some research.

It is basically the cable channel STARZ. You can watch whatever movies they currently have a license for whenever you want, as well as the actual STARZ channel. When I checked 2 weeks ago, there were something like 1800 movies.

But really, of those 1800, I only found about 20-30 I cared to pay for.

You can download the vongo program and browse the full selection without creating an account. I say download it, look over the movies and make a decision. It seems like a good enough deal if you can find enough to watch, and it works properly, although I have no idea as to how good the actual service is aside from selection.

Here's a CNET review link which has a staff review and 19 reader reviews. It has some pretty terrible review ratings.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Starz_Vongo/4505-9239_7-31952123.html

It sounded interesting but...

dumbaz0.jpg

fuck em.

[quote name='hohez']I haven't used it, but about two weeks ago I was also intrigued so I did some research.

It is basically the cable channel STARZ. You can watch whatever movies they currently have a license for whenever you want, as well as the actual STARZ channel. When I checked 2 weeks ago, there were something like 1800 movies.

But really, of those 1800, I only found about 20-30 I cared to pay for.

You can download the vongo program and browse the full selection without creating an account. I say download it, look over the movies and make a decision. It seems like a good enough deal if you can find enough to watch, and it works properly, although I have no idea as to how good the actual service is aside from selection.

Here's a CNET review link which has a staff review and 19 reader reviews. It has some pretty terrible review ratings.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Starz_Vongo/4505-9239_7-31952123.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I'll give the download a shot when I get home. Reading the CNet user reviews did not give me much hope either though. I was initialy interested because of the touted compatibility with portable video devices, but it seems my search will continue. Also I feel your pain Sporadic, I had to switch back to Firefox for a bit to view the website.

I guess I'll ask the next question in advance. Does anyone know of a legit video download service that will work with portable devices besides iTunes working with the ipods?

bread's done
Back