Does Excite Truck compare favorably to Burnout 3?

RCS0926

CAGiversary!
I'm strongly considering the purchase of this game, but I'm curious if it is as good/fun (or at least close in terms of both) as Burnout 3. Thanks in advance for your responses...

Excite Truck is a lot of fun, but I wouldn't say it's comparable to Burnout 3. They are completely different games.

Also Burnout 3 is one of the best games ever created.

[quote name='tsmvengy']Excite Truck is a lot of fun, but I wouldn't say it's comparable to Burnout 3. They are completely different games.

Also Burnout 3 is one of the best games ever created.[/quote]

I agree with your opinion on BO3. I didn't like racing games of any sort until I played BO3. It's easily the best racer of all time IMO. I don't expect Excite Truck to top it, but I just need to know if it's a game I'll really in light of the fact that I love BO3...

I'll say this, only consider it if you plan on playing it with a friend. Once you clear everything, there's not much longevity in single play.
I've got it, I love it, but I only play it now when friends are over.

[quote name='Kilraven']I'll say this, only consider it if you plan on playing it with a friend. Once you clear everything, there's not much longevity in single play.
I've got it, I love it, but I only play it now when friends are over.[/quote]

I'm not necessarily looking to play it for hours and hours. I just bought a Wii, and I've got other games like Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess that offer longevity. I've got pick-up-n-play games like Rayman Raving Rabbids, Ghost Squad, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports and Donkey Konga. Overall, I'm just looking for a game that will be fun to pick up and play. Burnout 3 definitely has that quality although it does offer a surprising amount of gameplay depth as well...

It's a great game to pick-up-and-play if you can find it. I thought it was out-of-print. Regardless, Excitebots: Trick Racing is approaching with an April release date. :)

Burnout 3 and Excite Truck may be racing games, but they're vastly different types of racing. It's sort of like comparing Mario Kart to Gran Turismo (not quite, of course) if you get what I mean.

I recommend either Truck or Excitebots. Really fun arcade racing.

ExciteTruck is one of my favorite Wii games -- thanks CC clearance!

Going through all the cups and unlocking more trucks and tracks is the great thing about this game ... the 2p versus is alright, but I wish it was a full contingent of trucks. My brother and I just take turns playing single player.

The fact that it isn't so much about winning as it is about collecting stars by doing insane tree runs, truck smashes, etc. is what makes this game great (and why you can be in last place with the timer counting down from 10 seconds and still be having a blast because you're trying to get in that final super tree run to get S!), and why it's awesome just to take turns racing ... it's a beautiful game.

[quote name='snipegod']ExciteTruck is one of my favorite Wii games -- thanks CC clearance!

Going through all the cups and unlocking more trucks and tracks is the great thing about this game ... the 2p versus is alright, but I wish it was a full contingent of trucks. My brother and I just take turns playing single player.

The fact that it isn't so much about winning as it is about collecting stars by doing insane tree runs, truck smashes, etc. is what makes this game great (and why you can be in last place with the timer counting down from 10 seconds and still be having a blast because you're trying to get in that final super tree run to get S!), and why it's awesome just to take turns racing ... it's a beautiful game.[/QUOTE]

Hit the nail on the head.

This is lame in 2 player mode. Its a single player racer.

The idea is to unlock all trucks and each trucks custom paint job etc. The whole point is to become good enough and take enough risks to get a constant boost. I would say it is very similar to Burnout three. The wrecks are not as good, but it drops you right back into the race.

There are huge shortcuts to take and hidden tree runs and paths all over the track. Some jumps launch you so high that you can almost see the whole track while up there.

Its a pure blast of a game. Do not use the wii mote like a wheel. Set it flat on your lap and tilt it left or right for turning. The wheel idea is not the best and gets old quick.

You can star all the tracks and open up gold, platinum and even diamond tracks. Once you beat all those there are more things that open, as well as other vehicles you open as you progress. And once you think you have the best truck avail, they drop another one on you.

Definite must buy wii title.

* edit- I did a long edit into why i liked the longevity and disliked the two player.. and then I hit back on accident and lost it all. This time its short and sweet.

Two player is a joke. its literally you and the second player. No other PC racers, and it gets old quick. I have had more fun passing the remote around at get together and its pretty exciting to watch once you get to the later stages and faster vehicles.

You must complete things on S rankings and then you unlock more tracks. I cannot count the hours I dumped into this game, not just for the sake of beating it on S rank across all races, and the mirrored tracks, and Platinum tracks. But its not a short experience if you plan on doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Snake2715']Hit the nail on the head.

This is lame in 2 player mode. Its a single player racer.

The idea is to unlock all trucks and each trucks custom paint job etc. The whole point is to become good enough and take enough risks to get a constant boost. I would say it is very similar to Burnout three. The wrecks are not as good, but it drops you right back into the race.

There are huge shortcuts to take and hidden tree runs and paths all over the track. Some jumps launch you so high that you can almost see the whole track while up there.

Its a pure blast of a game. Do not use the wii mote like a wheel. Set it flat on your lap and tilt it left or right for turning. The wheel idea is not the best and gets old quick.

You can star all the tracks and open up gold, platinum and even diamond tracks. Once you beat all those there are more things that open, as well as other vehicles you open as you progress. And once you think you have the best truck avail, they drop another one on you.

Definite must buy wii title.[/QUOTE]

This is all that needs to be said about Excite Truck. Absolutely amazing game. You can start playing and completely lose track of time.

I will never sell or trade this game. Next to Resident Evil 4 it is my favorite Wii game. It's just pure fun, very much like playing Burnout 3. Pure fun.

[quote name='bmulligan']I will never sell or trade this game. Next to Resident Evil 4 it is my favorite Wii game. It's just pure fun, very much like playing Burnout 3. Pure fun.[/quote]
I'll echo this sentiment, except put Excite Truck over RE4 by a long shot. I've been playing Excite Truck for two years now (always single player) and have yet to get tired of it. It's the one game I'm always sure to bring if I'm traveling because I know I can pick it up any time and immediately start having fun. Regarding the Burnout series - the games are very similar in many ways once you get past the outer layer.

There's a thread about how great Excite Truck is somewhere... I'll see if I can find it.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Excite truck is not a bit like Burnout, but more like Pure meets Fracture with TRUCKS![/QUOTE]

That's a pretty good comparison. I didn't like Pure that much, though. I think it's more like Motorstorm than Pure.

I got Excite Truck at launch when I first got my Wii. Oddly enough, I still play it every few weeks. It's not very deep, as others have mentioned, but it's really fun to play.

It's kinda hard to find for some reason. There are some decent prices on eBay though. With Excitebots coming out next month and it apparently "blows ExciteTruck out of the water", I want to play ExciteTruck first

Holy crap, that looks awesome! I had no clue this was coming out. Guess I might have to dust off the Wii and stop playing my shiny new 360 for a little bit for this one.

OK, here's the bottom line question: Is Excite Truck worth getting for $29.99. That's the used price at Gamestop, and it appears that's the cheapest price out of all the places (offline or online) where you can find the game easily. You can get it for $14.99 used at Blockbuster, but actually finding it is hit or miss.

As for Gamestop, I can get 20-30% off, so it's not actually a $30 game. At any rate, is the game worth getting for $21-$24?

If you like bland tracks, and not very interesting vehicles, then Excite Truck is for you!

It has custom soundtracks though which is a big deal for it apparently.

[quote name='whoknows']If you like bland tracks, and not very interesting vehicles, then Excite Truck is for you!

It has custom soundtracks though which is a big deal for it apparently.[/QUOTE]

Move along.

RCS

I think its worth the $21 easily.

I have bought and sold it three times. i will get it again with excite bots coming though that looks great.

This game (excite trucks) is really so much fun and so under the radar.

[quote name='Snake2715']Move along.

RCS

I think its worth the $21 easily.

I have bought and sold it three times. i will get it again with excite bots coming though that looks great.

This game (excite trucks) is really so much fun and so under the radar.[/quote]

Thanks Snake. I'm leaning heavily towards getting this game. I don't really care if it's shallow or not because I don't plan on playing a game like this for hours on end. As long as it's fun to pick up in short bursts and provides an adrenaline rush, then that will do just fine.

I have to chime in and agree with everyone else. Excite Truck was severely underrated and is a blast to play. I also agree that once you ace everything there is little replay value, but it will take you some time to do so.

Also a pre-emptive warning, while the custom soundtrack is awesome, it is still very limited. First, don't have ideas about filling up a 2GB SD card with all your favorite tunes, the game will only see 100 songs, so don't waste your time filling one up. Second, no matter how long the race only one track will play and it will repeat itself. Third, you have to manually go into the menu to change the track before a race. Now something that is pretty cool with it is that if you don't remove your SD card, it "remembers" what song you played in each race the next time you boot it up. So essentially you can 'set' a specific song for each course and it will remain the next time you play it.

I don't understand why everyone says that you can only have one song that repeats per race or have to manually change the song before a race ...

Go into the sd options and just put it on random ... the songs cycle through (I know for a fact they change when the track does, but I also thought they changed after the song was finished with the same track unfinished).

Racing to Hit It And Quit It is funky.

[quote name='snipegod']
Go into the sd options and just put it on random ... the songs cycle through (I know for a fact they change when the track does, but I also thought they changed after the song was finished with the same track unfinished).
[/QUOTE]

Really. I stand corrected then. I always wanted to start with a particular song and have it continue from that point which it won't do.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I ended up buying Excite truck...and I love it! It's definitely a different type of game than Burnout 3, and although it doesn't have the depth of BO3, it certainly provides the same adrenaline rush. I wanted to test out the custom soundtrack, so I loaded up my SD card with Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory". I've got to say that racing to the sounds of Linkin Park is awesome! Thanks for the input on the game everyone.

[quote name='bmulligan']I will never sell or trade this game.[/QUOTE]
THIS!

Easily the best arcade racer on the Wii -- or any other current platform -- available now... a title that it might only lose when ExciteBots arrives. :)

--R.J.

bread's done
Back