Does game re-releases effect original prices?

NastyNin9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I noticed lately that they have re-releasing games like, Pikmin, Mario Tennis, and Metal Gear Solid. I am a real big metal gear solid fan and I look on ebay for metal gear solid games often, and since they released the metal gear solid essintiels pack, the price for the original metal gear solid for ps1 has gone down. Granted they are the same exact game, real collectors like the original game. So I was wondering if they decide to re-release "rare" games like Pikmin 2, or Marvel vs Capcom 2, would it change the asking price just a little?

It would change the price a LOT. See; :ps2:Nocturne. Went from $59.99 used at GS to $39.99 as soon as it had a reprint.

Might retain the value if it is a sealed copy of the original. Otherwise the value will drop a lot. MGS2: Substance was worth a bit before the reprint but now it isnt worth as much

didnt castlevania symphony of the night drop in price one it was released on XBLA? rereleasing games usually affects prices.

[quote name='62t']Might retain the value if it is a sealed copy of the original. Otherwise the value will drop a lot. MGS2: Substance was worth a bit before the reprint but now it isnt worth as much[/quote]
One just sold for $160 on Ebay, was it worth more than that?

There is usually a dip in price when the reprint first is available, but as the new supply vanishes the prices tend to increase again.

Case by case basis.

Valkyrie Profile for the PS1 went UP briefly after the PSP port was released, as I said it would. This is because its previous obscurity and now being at the forefront of people's minds.

There is a distinction between a reprint of the same title vs a port on a new system vs a remake.

it goes down. marvel vs capcom 2 is like $75+ dollars to get from anyone and anywhere. if capcom re-release the game, it would drastically reduce the current price of the game. remakes can also decrease the price of games also. if marvel vs capcom 2 was remade in hd, the original would more likely depreciate then the newer release.

as long as the original content is intact, then prices would go down. if however the original content is lost or altered, prices would not go down.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Does they teach the English anymore in them schools?[/quote]

2 mistakes in the title alone. Ouch.

I think it depends on HOW the game is re-released:

If it's re-released on a home console, it may bring down the price of the original.
However, if a game is ported to a handheld, some people might prefer to play on a TV and opt to buy the original version (which might not have gone down in value).

don't worry about the grammer guys, you know what I was trying to say, and you understood it. Im not to going to take time and read over a forum posting to make sure it is correct like it's an essay for school. chill out and don't repsond unless you are going to answer the question at hand.

NastyNin9 - the errors (especially "does game re-releases") shouldn't require extra time to review. It's probably one of the first things we learn in 1st grade grammar.

But back to the topic - Pikmin 2 re-released on disc would kill the current price of it (but it's only $40). It would be comparable to katamari damacy. If Marvel vs. Capcom 2 becomes downloadable with no additions like online matches then prices will probably drop a bit; the PS2 version will never see the $100 price tag again (not until a decade down the road when it's cool to collect PS2 games and demand for it increases).

The MGS games tanked because there isn't enough demand to support a large difference between the essential copy and the original releases. All of the games were pretty easy to find to begin with.

The only MGS game I remember being super-expensive is MGS3:Subsistence Limited Edition, and it still is from what I know. Glad I got mine for $10.

It's hard to gauge what is going to happen when a game is reprinted. If the reprint is easy to distinguish from the original, the original will probably keep its value. Original copies of Nocturne with the music CD still sell for a lot more than reprints, which did not include the music CD. This is also why Greatest Hits-type re-releases rarely affect the original's value.

Ports onto another system will usually increase the value of the original, especially if said game wasn't popular originally but gained fame on re-release. It's all about collectors value.

If Marvel vs Capcom 2 gets a digital re-release, I'm not sure how that will play out. It'll be immaterial, so the physical copy will still have some collectors value, especially in complete condition... but I get the idea most people who want MvC2 are not collectors.

bread's done
Back