Does GTA:LCS work with a version changer?

Ultimate Matt X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I'm just wondering if anyone with a 1.5 PSP has had any luck getting Liberty City Stories to work with any version changer software? I want to pick it up, but don't want to lose my emulators and such for my PSP.

I keep hearing from people who have it that the WAB changer doesn't work and you have to update to 2.0. I'm not sure if this is true since I don't have my copy yet.

[quote name='zewone']I keep hearing from people who have it that the WAB changer doesn't work and you have to update to 2.0. I'm not sure if this is true since I don't have my copy yet.[/QUOTE]

I hearing the same thing basically because the GTA LSC uses the new video and audio updates from the 2.0 update.

Does not work with The SXT Version Changer/WAB Version Changer 2.5 doesnt work with GTA. Nor any of these loaders:

Fastloader 0.7

UMD Loader 0.8c

Dev Hook 0.22

PSP No Update UMD Starter

[quote name='arsenalgear']Remember, you can always do the swap technique---put in a 1.5 game, when the PSP screen comes up swap in LCS.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone confirm if this works. I pre-bought it already and I'm not sure if I want to lose all my roms and cool features yet, in order to play it.

Will I be able to use the MPH 2.0 to 1.5 downgrader after playing? I don't see why not, as I went ahead and upgraded to 2.0 while I've been playing Virtua Tennis and Burnout since they required atleast a 1.52 and I figured I'd just go ahead and get the 2.0 for the browser and other features. I've just been giving my ROMs a break while I play some of the new titles. I should still be able to do it after playing GTA, right?

I've tried everything (version changes, swap technique, etc.) and searched a bunch of other boards and the only solution appears to be upgrading to 2.0 (not 2.5!!!) and then downgrade back to 1.5 when you want to play your ROMs via emulation or your back up games off the memory card.

Here's a link that basically summarizes the situation:

www.psp-hacks.com/2005/10/25/grand-theft-auto-liberty-city-stories-is-not-15-compatible/

Bottom line is to either upgrade to 2.0 and downgrade after your done with the game or just hold off buying the game until someone can hopefully come up with a work around.

Personally, I'm thinking about just buying a new PSP for games and keeping the old one for homebrew apps as I've got $150 in EBGames store credit burning a hole in my pocket...

[quote name='mick16']I've tried everything (version changes, swap technique, etc.) and searched a bunch of other boards and the only solution appears to be upgrading to 2.0 (not 2.5!!!) and then downgrade back to 1.5 when you want to play your ROMs via emulation or your back up games off the memory card.

www.psp-hacks.com/2005/10/25/grand-theft-auto-liberty-city-stories-is-not-15-compatible/

Bottom line is to either upgrade to 2.0 and downgrade after your done with the game or just hold off buying the game until someone can hopefully come up with a work around.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been waiting to hear....I'm going to open my copy right now!

[quote name='mick16']I've tried everything (version changes, swap technique, etc.) and searched a bunch of other boards and the only solution appears to be upgrading to 2.0 (not 2.5!!!) and then downgrade back to 1.5 when you want to play your ROMs via emulation or your back up games off the memory card.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='arsenalgear']Guys, in case you didn't notice, I JUST posted a solution above.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't work if you read mick's post.

how can you get to 2.0 ? playstation sony site only has 2.5 available....this will not work with the upgrader, correct? is there a 2.0 update on the GTA game UMD? i have a 1.5 psp currently

[quote name='soonerdoc']how can you get to 2.0 ? playstation sony site only has 2.5 available....this will not work with the upgrader, correct? is there a 2.0 update on the GTA game UMD? i have a 1.5 psp currently[/QUOTE]
I believe it has the 2.0 update, but if you plan on downgrading I would get the 2.0 update from pspupdates.com. It's on their front page.

[quote name='mick16']The PSP 2.0 US Firmware Update is available here. Don't use the one that came with the game.

www.psp-hacks.com/downloads.php#firmware

Download this file (I think its like 13.2MB) and then follow these directions to update:

www.us.playstation.com/PSP.aspx?id=softwareupdate/pc_200.html

When you decide you want to downgrade to 1.5 later, just follow this link.

www.psp-tutorials.tk/

Select Tutorials on the left hand side and then Select "2.0 to 1.50 Downgrader Tutorial" and follow directions.[/QUOTE]
There is nothing wrong with the 2.0 from the game, it is just some people not going the downgrade properly.

[quote name='arcadia67']Why shouldnt one upgrade to the 2.5 firmware?[/QUOTE]

if you have 2.01 or higher there is no possibility right now to run homebrew.

I thought I read that the update on the GTA UMD will not allow users to downgrade. It's better to use a 2.0 update on the net. I have this game pre-ordered (still hasn't arrived), but I'm seriously thinking about passing on it. I don't want to BRICK my PSP with a downgrade. I would have to think that they will come up with a GOOD workaround soon.

[quote name='doubledown']I thought I read that the update on the GTA UMD will not allow users to downgrade. It's better to use a 2.0 update on the net. I have this game pre-ordered (still hasn't arrived), but I'm seriously thinking about passing on it. I don't want to BRICK my PSP with a downgrade. I would have to think that they will come up with a GOOD workaround soon.[/QUOTE]

I hear you. I'm sitting on my copy ($36.99 shipped free, arrived today!) until I can safely play without upgrading. It's tempting, but i have so many other titles to play.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is the fate of the PSP with ALL/MOST new games though....so we are all stuck

I barely play my PSP anyways, just on trips mainly...so I'm not concerned

I finally gave in to the update when Burnout Legends came out (I figured it was inevitable anyway if I wanted to play upcoming releases). I have all the homebrew I need on my PC and Dreamcast, and I didn't want to mess around with changing versions. The truth is though, since I've bought Burnout Legends, Virtua Tennis, and GTA:LCS....along with the other games I have for my PSP, I don't find myself missing the homebrew at all....even though that was my main perk for owning the PSP for a while. I can see how the current lineup may not appeal to some though, and giving up the Emu stuff may be too much to ask, but as for me, I'm enjoying the 2.0 web browser, and I have more than enough titles to keep me busy for a while....with a bunch more on the way. I do keep all the homebrew stuff and MPH downgrader on my desktop, just in case I do get that itch again, but it's definitely nice to see the library of quality titles finally starting to grow on the PSP.

And by the way, I really am loving GTA:LCS so far. I haven't played much GTA since GTA 3 first came out for the PS2, so the lack of the extra analog stick isn't bothering me at all, although it would be nice to have. The story is all brand new, but it is cool that I don't have to learn a new city and I am having an easy time navigating through the missions because of it. It has its kinks of course, but I'm just amazed at how well it all translated to a handheld, and how much they fit on that little UMD.

[quote name='doubledown']I thought I read that the update on the GTA UMD will not allow users to downgrade. It's better to use a 2.0 update on the net. I have this game pre-ordered (still hasn't arrived), but I'm seriously thinking about passing on it. I don't want to BRICK my PSP with a downgrade. I would have to think that they will come up with a GOOD workaround soon.[/QUOTE]
you can downgrade with the 2.0 from GTA UMD. It is just that some people didnt follow the steos in downgrading.

Personally, I'm thinking about just buying a new PSP for games and keeping the old one for homebrew apps as I've got $150 in EBGames store credit burning a hole in my pocket...[/QUOTE]

That is what I did. The upgrade PSP is in a Spawn Play Gear Pocket and the Homebrew PSP is in a Violator Play Gear Pocket.

Thats freakin' nuts. I consider that to be a waste of $300. Patience pays off coz we all know they will somehow crack the games, etc. Even then...if no more games CAN be cracked....then after playing all the homebrew you have to play...just upgrade. Not all of us have that kind of money to blow.

i brokedown and upgraded to 2.0 to play this game. Only because i knew i could downgrade back to 1.5 whenever i want, so i'm not too concerned.

Damn. That's what the guy at EB told me so I held off on buying it. Oh well, I'm only at around 40% with Burnout and Virtua Tennis I'm only ranked 214 so there is a ways to go (but admittedly, the forced minigames are a real turnoff so who knows if I'll finish it)... I'm also looking at SSX which I think is just like Burnout so everything should work fine with the WAB changer...

Get over the homebrew...GTA is worth every penny and then some. I haven't touched my consoles since I got it. It's $50. Work another couple of hours and it's yours.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Get over the homebrew...GTA is worth every penny and then some. I haven't touched my consoles since I got it. It's $50. Work another couple of hours and it's yours.[/QUOTE]

It's not ALL homebrew though ;)

Yea, more people like 1.5 because you can play backup of psp games, not to mention emulators.

But next month there will be a modchip coming out for the PSP that'll let you play homebrew/isos with any firmware. So pretty soon everyone'll be able to play GTA without upgrading/buying it.

[quote name='Bezerker']Yea, more people like 1.5 because you can play backup of psp games, not to mention emulators.

But next month there will be a modchip coming out for the PSP that'll let you play homebrew/isos with any firmware. So pretty soon everyone'll be able to play GTA without upgrading/buying it.[/QUOTE]

Which will be a bad thing. If you can download new games for free, what do you think will happen? Developers will either raise prices, or stop making games. I don't particularly want either.

[quote name='CocheseUGA'] Developers will either raise prices, or stop making games. I don't particularly want either.[/QUOTE]
No kidding...I havn't seen a single new PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube game come out in years...

[quote name='b0bx13']No kidding...I havn't seen a single new PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube game come out in years...[/QUOTE]

PWNED!

Dont know where you've been Cochese, free full games have been available for the PSP since May. Hell, even the DS is able to play downloaded DS games.

[quote name='Bezerker']PWNED!
[/QUOTE]

People still use that term?

And if you haven't noticed, Sony is going above and beyond ANYTHING any console maker has done in terms of attempting to protect it's system from pirating. The cost is going to have to go somewhere, people.

fuck anyone that pirates games.

bread's done
Back