Does NBA 2K5 belong as one of the best sports titles ever?

FrankySox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
Okay I picked this up about a week after it came out, but due to all the other games I had I didn't get a chance to play it much. So sometime last week I was contemplating what I should play and I pull NBA 2K5 off my shelf. Last night I was thinking this is one of the best sports games I've played in a LONG time. Over the past week this is pretty much the only title I've played. The scores are always close, the isomotion is awesome, and regardless of what people say I'm able to play defense just fine. Lamar Odom is the man. So basically I was wondering, does anybody think this is one of the best sports titles ever made? I don't think it is the best, I don't even think there is a best. However I think that there is an elite group of great games, and in that group each one can be considered one of the best. I think this game definitely belongs in that, and it could be debateable that each ESPN game (beside College Hoops) should belong in that group. What do you think? (Sorry about the continuous babbling)

I rented it, played one half and said screw it. It totally sucks as far as gameplay is concerned. NBA Live is the way I play video bball -- even though it is flawed itself.

ESPN NFL is a far better sports game under the ESPN branding. NBA is good, but I can't stand how my big guys will be standing out in the corners at or near the 3 point line. Go to the paint! And why don't the shooters automatically face up to the basket? I get my open guy the pass and he has his back to the basket and shoots a turn around 3 at times. Odd. FT system needs to go as well.

That said, I do like this game very much. Really fun over Live.

Uh no...the gameplay is pretty stiff, not nearly fluid enough for bball game, and IMO is far from earning that title. Actually if I had to make the best basketball game of this generation I'd take certain parts of both NBA 2k5 and NBA Live.

ESPN 2K> NBA Live

My opinion anyway.... I like both games, but I prefer ESPN.

I have the game and like the game, but maybe you all can explain something to me that I can't figure out. The right analog stick moves in this game take a long time to develop animation-wise. I usually get charging fouls. Do I have to start them much earlier on, before I get up to the defender, or am I just doing them wrong? They seem slow and sluggish compared to Live. I don't like Live, and I like everything about 2K5 except for the fact that I can't figure out why I suck at making moves.

[quote name='demongorrian']I rented it, played one half and said screw it. It totally sucks as far as gameplay is concerned. NBA Live is the way I play video bball -- even though it is flawed itself.[/quote]

NBA Live is the worst video game I've ever played. Ever. ANY game.

Also, College Hoops is much better than NBA 2k5

NBA Live is better than ESPN NBA IMO. I think it gets a bad rap cuz EA makes it but its real fun. ESPN is too real.

The gameplay sucks: It's reminisicent of Konami's NBA: In The Zone series..... not all bad, but not good enough to hold one's interest for more than a day or two, IMO.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']I have the game and like the game, but maybe you all can explain something to me that I can't figure out. The right analog stick moves in this game take a long time to develop animation-wise. I usually get charging fouls. Do I have to start them much earlier on, before I get up to the defender, or am I just doing them wrong? They seem slow and sluggish compared to Live. I don't like Live, and I like everything about 2K5 except for the fact that I can't figure out why I suck at making moves.[/quote]

Yeah, you have to wait on the seemingly canned animations. It's as if your guy has to wait for the defender to get in place to make the first move. Frustrating. Just have to watch to see if you can get your shoulder past the defender. There's an animation for that if he doesn't then you have to go the other way to avoid the charge. It's just an odd thing in the game.

It's a pretty good game, but not one of the best ever, there's plenty of other candidates for that distinction. Temco Super Bowl comes to mind first, and there's plenty more that are more deserving.

the game is good, but i think that the free throw system ruins the whole experience for me. nba live's free throw system is great and if nba had that, i would thoroughly enjoy playing nba 2k5 all the time instead of every once in a while like i am now. i also think that maybe the camera view is from too far away, just a little thing for me

thanks,

hM

[quote name='Rich']I still can't believe people are on NBA Live's nuts. Did we play the same game?[/quote]

You may want to sit down for this, as I don't won't you to fall over from shock, but not everyone shares the same opinion as you do.

Last years game was really glitchy but was FAR more realistic. This year's is clunky and random. You can score on a hop step with a crappy player ALL THE TIME. The three's are also extremely random. I can put up 5 wide open three's with Stojakovic and only make one. The same thing for College Hoops. I put up 8 wide open threes with McNamara online and didn't make a single one. If you pump fake and the defender jumps you make the shot 75% of the time because the defender pushes you back. I must say last year's version is many times better. I bought this game for $20 and the guy at EB was nice enough to take it back. Then I saw it at Hastings and picked it up for $10 for live play (which I've done once).

I'll also say that this game, while crappy is a lot better then Live's gameplay IMO. The only redeeming factor about live is the Dunk contest. I do suck at this game, but I'll play on live with any of you if ya'll want GT: DirkChief I also have College Hoops which I picked up for $5 at BB after $10 RZ coupon and GGC. :)

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='Rich']I still can't believe people are on NBA Live's nuts. Did we play the same game?[/quote]

You may want to sit down for this, as I don't won't you to fall over from shock, but not everyone shares the same opinion as you do.[/quote]

That's like saying you liked ET or Superman 64. NBA Live deserves to lumped in there.

[quote name='Rich'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='Rich']I still can't believe people are on NBA Live's nuts. Did we play the same game?[/quote]

You may want to sit down for this, as I don't won't you to fall over from shock, but not everyone shares the same opinion as you do.[/quote]

That's like saying you liked ET or Superman 64. NBA Live deserves to lumped in there.[/quote]

Actually, it doesn't. Good try though.

bread's done
Back