Does no one care that MS Canada screws us on MS Points???

BobFromPikeCreek

CAGiversary!
Our dollar has been hovering around par with the US dollar for at least a year straight now, and we're STILL getting 200 points less per 20 dollars than in the US. It's absurd. There's no reason for it. It's just lining MS's wallets. We should all spam MS Canada with angry emails and get this changed.

So...Castle Crashers pissing you off so much that your anger spread from GAF to CAG? :lol:

I agree completely though, we get screwed at retail and we get screwed even worse if we buy online. They haven't touched the online rates since launch!

I care! It totally pisses me off too, particularly when you consider the fact that Sony fixed this problem on the PS3 months ago. And now there's the news today that Braid and Castle Crashers are going to be 1200 and 1800 points, which will end up being like 20 and 30 dollars to us. It's a slimy business practice to be sure, and I've pretty much stopped buying arcade games because of it (though Geo Wars 2 is tempting me...)

I care... but there's nothing I can really do about it. It really is a huge load of BS though. I also don't like that I'll have to pick up two points cards (or one of the bigger ones) just to get Castle Crashers...

[quote name='Median']So...Castle Crashers pissing you off so much that your anger spread from GAF to CAG? :lol:

I agree completely though, we get screwed at retail and we get screwed even worse if we buy online. They haven't touched the online rates since launch![/QUOTE]

I really want that game, man, but I can't justify paying for this craziness.

Anyone know the email address I should spam? I can't find a decent place to contact about this.

There's no doubt that other countries get screwed when it comes to game, system, and peripheral prices. As an American I'm sorry to hear that, and lord have I heard that for many years.

I would guess (I have no actual idea, mind you) that the difficulty lies in setting the initial Point -> $$$ conversion rate. While they potentially could change this all across the board, it would still result in a few problems overall:

(1) You can presumably change the point values you can buy fairly easily through XBLive, but that requires people to have a credit card tied to the account. Unfortunately, even in the US, many people are unwilling to do this since they don't have access to a credit card or do not want to worry about their box (and card) being stolen.

(2) While the electronic end could potentially swap point values and costs easily enough, the physical market is another case entirely. I'm not sure about the profit margin (if any) on point cards for various systems but considering the dearth of sales save for at Big Box Stores it's probably razor-thin. As such, you kill a lot of your major (as well as minor) retailer loyalty if they have 40 cards on the shelf that they paid, say, $20 for and now they lowered the MSRP to $17.50. It's not much, but the major retailers won't like it and it puts a dent on the small mom-and-pops since they can either not carry the cards thereafter (losing further sales down the road) or simply buy the minimum # of cards possible and pray for no price fluxes.

(3) When the price for points starts to fluctuate with the dollar then you have a situation where smarter gamers are just going to wait several months or, potentially, years to pick up those XBLA titles since they are always offered. Why buy points now if you can wait for them to drop a few bucks apiece?

I apologize for playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, but I thought it is an interesting situation to observe. Also, if you really want to go for impact you should start a simple (yet professional-looking) website with the problem and potential solution written out clearly and patiently. Make the approach more towards a letter-writing campaign (yes, actual letters) rather than e-mails since the former catch far more attention due to the amount of work involved than the latter. Provide several well-written form letters people could use if they do not feel like writting out their own personal letters. Toss in the address info the letters should go to and give it a go.

Even still it doesn't guarantee a victory of any sort, but it will get more heads to turn than an e-mail frenzy. Remember, in most cases the old methods of attention-grabbing still work best.

I don't live in Canada (US), but I know that I don't like the M$ points and how they convert to real money. I've only bought one 1600 point pack in the (going on 3) years that I've had my 360. I didn't buy another because I look over to the Wii points cards and they get 2000 points for $20, and M$ gives me 1600. I don't know how exactly they rate MS points w/ real monetary value but I sure know it does not have the consumer's wallet in mind.

I care as well! Rock band songs have cost me a fortune.... Also, is pricing on par with Nintendo? Its 2000 points for $25+tax where I'm at. Is that how it is in US also?

Might I interject that I bought PixelJunk Monsters this last week off PSN for $4.99, which cost me $4.99?

Seriously, Sony's the only one getting this right. On par pricing, and no godforsaken points.

I agree, which is why I had no problem in getting tens of thousands of free points when Microsoft had that design-a-car thing :)

And yeah, Sony does it right. No points bullshit to hide the fact that they're ripping you off.

I don't really care that much. Of course, I'm patient and buy them on sale at the FS/BB sales. Plus the random promos that appear online like that silly car-making game.

Not to be overly pessimistic, but what do you even intend to do about their point values, anyway?

Many prices have not changed or not changed enough since our dollar went on par, why would M$ points be any different?

Wait for FS/BB to have 20% off the cards and you will be getting points cheaper then even the US does (other then when their points cards go on sale)

I care, which is why I haven't bought a single points card. If we all did that than I'm sure Microsoft would do something about it, but since everyone keeps buying points cards Microsoft could care less.

I've never bought a points card, I just jump all over the free promotions. Not many arcade games interest me, xbox games cost less than the xbox originals (sans drm too), and the promotions are enough for whatever dlc really interests me

i only buy ms point cards from superstore on their tax free events and i save up the auto cash to combine with that because i feel like im totally getting screwed if i purchase them at regular price

[quote name='gmoney1234567890']I care as well! Rock band songs have cost me a fortune.... Also, is pricing on par with Nintendo? Its 2000 points for $25+tax where I'm at. Is that how it is in US also?[/quote]

it is when you buy on their website. also, some stores are selling it for 19.99!

[quote name='magiic']I got close to 10,000 points from the last smart child fiasco lol[/quote]That kid never gives me anything. Gonna disown him.

I have yet to buy any points because of how we get screwed. I figure some day I will give in and get some XBLA stuff though.

I care, but as long as they can be had at 20% off on occasion, I perhaps won't care as much as I should :)

After seeing that release list for the coming month, though, I do wish I'd bought some last time Future Shop and Best Buy had an online holiday sale.

At least they bent a little on the denominations of the cards... maybe they'll hike them again at some point....

What is really cool is being able to buy directly from MS and not having to worry about a sale because I know that the US $$$$ is static to the MS Points.

I started a thread about this a week or so ago on the official Xbox.com forums, within the Canada -> Xbox Live forum. It should still be on the first page, I would recommend posting there since it's the official site... then maybe find someone we can mass email about it.

I'd link directly to the thread, but xbox.com is blocked at my work. The thread is called 'Enough is Enough... Microsoft please reduce the price of points now'

edit: now that I'm home I can post the link, http://forums.xbox.com/22003933/ShowPost.aspx

Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole system is shady, I hate the way you have to buy more points than necessary to buy games. Atleast PSN uses dollar amounts.

I support wherever this is going.

i just came back from the local video store looking for too human which they did not have , but i noticed that they had a 1600 ms point card for $19.99 could not find any indication on the packaging that it was for US only do we have 1600 point cards in here now ?

[quote name='seed84']i just came back from the local video store looking for too human which they did not have , but i noticed that they had a 1600 ms point card for $19.99 could not find any indication on the packaging that it was for US only do we have 1600 point cards in here now ?[/quote]

I don't think the cards say anything on them about them being US Only anyways. I have yet to see them but that would be great if we were finally getting these point values for our cards

[quote name='EggViper']The whole system is shady, I hate the way you have to buy more points than necessary to buy games. Atleast PSN uses dollar amounts.

I support wherever this is going.[/quote]
From now on, games that are on both systems will be purchased on the PSN because of this point screwover. I bought the new Bionic Commando on the PSN instead of XBLA. Does anyone else do this?

[quote name='sh10151']From now on, games that are on both systems will be purchased on the PSN because of this point screwover. I bought the new Bionic Commando on the PSN instead of XBLA. Does anyone else do this?[/QUOTE]

Yep. I'm always going to go PSN (unless for some reason it's significantly better on XBLM). Makes me wish I had a Ps3 when I got Rock Band...so much wasted money.

I fell off the bandwagon and purchased Castle Crashers (great game!). Of course I had to first buy a 1400 Point Card for $20. But that is it. I am climbing back on the bandwagon (until the next must buy Xbox Live game - seems to happen once a year for me!).

bread's done
Back