Does Play and charge kit damage the 360 controller?

Donutkid2222

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just about an elite after I returned the arcade, haven't played the system. Waiting for the HDMI cable shipment, but going tomorrow to buy a charge kit for the 360. I've read on Amazon.com reviews, it damages the controller after?

To actually contribute, no, I've never heard of it "damaging" the controller. Although, I left mine plugged in too long and the little door covering the USB ports won't close, and the battery is now really picky about charging. It's a minor annoyance at best; once it finally takes it holds the charge just fine, and even if it didn't, it doesn't bother me having it plugged in. Either way I still don't have to buy batteries.

Ignoring your poor constructed thought: Play and Charge kits are not recommended. They will kill your battery life within a few weeks (if that long). They will not harm your controller (just the battery). Get the more expensive (although found cheaper used at GS), Quick charge kit. Alternatively get some quality AA rechargeable batteries.

[quote name='dragonjud']Ignoring your poor constructed thought: Play and Charge kits are not recommended. They will kill your battery life within a few weeks (if that long). [/QUOTE]

Dunno about that. I've been using mine for probably a year now without incident, although I'm sure I'm a much lighter user than most people.

I have had a play and charge kit for well over a year and have not noticed any problems with my battery life. It does take a long time to charge the battery fully but after its charged, it will last for about 20-25 hours. I don't know if this is low or not, but I am satisfied with it. I've debated getting the quick charge, just for convenience.

[quote name='Survivalism']To actually contribute, no, I've never heard of it "damaging" the controller. Although, I left mine plugged in too long and the little door covering the USB ports won't close, and the battery is now really picky about charging. It's a minor annoyance at best; once it finally takes it holds the charge just fine, and even if it didn't, it doesn't bother me having it plugged in. Either way I still don't have to buy batteries.[/QUOTE]

The door getting stuck open happened to me once. I just had to take off the face plate and reseat the spring on the door.

I've used a Play and Charge kit since I bought my 360 (3 years ago?) and have never, ever had an issue with it. My controllers still keep a great charge.

Really brah? This thread seems backwards. I'm pretty sure its the Quick* Charge Kit that may damage the battery. I never had trouble with the PNC kit, but the QC never gave the battery packs a good charge. Also, take reviews on product pages with a grain of salt.

[quote name='Rig']I've used a Play and Charge kit since I bought my 360 (3 years ago?) and have never, ever had an issue with it. My controllers still keep a great charge.[/QUOTE]

This. Except we've had ours for about 4 years now.

I bought 2 and had issues with both. I've moved on to rechargeable AAs and a charger on the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
my experience with my play and charge is this...
at times with it plugged in, it thinks the controller is not plugged in (even though, the controller would show green). It is frustrating since it can cause me to die in a bunch of different games. I also feel that the charge doesn't fully charge the battery as the life on the battery is 1-2 hours, which I am pretty sure should be higher. I have had it for over 2 years. Recently, the first issue has been happening alot, to the point where I am now pursuing getting the quick charge kit and saying bye bye to play and charge kits going forward.

A little confused because I'm going to be playing alone most of the time and I want charge the controller, not sure if I should buy rechargeable AA batteries or buy the quick charge kit or plug and play because issues can arise with all of them. I want to get the least problematic.

[quote name='Donutkid2222']A little confused because I'm going to be playing alone most of the time and I want charge the controller, not sure if I should buy rechargeable AA batteries or buy the quick charge kit or plug and play because issues can arise with all of them. I want to get the least problematic.[/QUOTE]

You can get a 4 pack of Eneloops with the charger for $18.
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279564634&sr=8-4

I had issues with the PNC's dying over time, but I play a lot. I have one that has turned into a wired controller. I've been very satisfied since I switched to Eneloops over a year ago.

[quote name='jkanownik']You can get a 4 pack of Eneloops with the charger for $18.
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279564634&sr=8-4

I had issues with the PNC's dying over time, but I play a lot. I have one that has turned into a wired controller. I've been very satisfied since I switched to Eneloops over a year ago.[/QUOTE]I'd second the use of the Enerloops as the 360 controller batteries. I dumped all of my MS rechargeable batteries over a year ago and I've never looked back once switching to the Enerloops.

[quote name='jkanownik']You can get a 4 pack of Eneloops with the charger for $18.

I had issues with the PNC's dying over time, but I play a lot. I have one that has turned into a wired controller. I've been very satisfied since I switched to Eneloops over a year ago.[/QUOTE]
thanks for that, really thinking of buying those batteries, how has the charge held up over the year?

[quote name='Donutkid2222']thanks for that, really thinking of buying those batteries, how has the charge held up over the year?[/QUOTE]

Read the Amazon reviews.

I've had two play and charge kits go south on me over the past 3-4 years. Either the battery stops holding a charge, or the cable stops charging the battery, I'm not sure what is happening exactly.

Luckily I keep finding new controllers w/ p&c kit combos on sale so I keep buying a new one. I have at least 4 wireless 360 controllers, but only one working play and charge kit from the newest controller.

[quote name='slickkill77']The batteries die after about a 1 year to 1.5 years, but there are no problems with the p&c[/QUOTE]

You are referring to the old regular NiMH batteries. Newer LSD NiMH batteries lose ~15% capacity a year and last 1,000 charge cycles. I haven't seen any reports that don't support those numbers provided by Sanyo for their Eneloops.

The play and charge batteries are regular NiMH and will not last as long as Eneloops or other LSD NiMH batteries.

I should also add that the charger can have an effect on the life of rechargeable batteries. You shouldn't skimp on the charger. The official Eneloop one is fine.

bread's done
Back