Does PSN ban pre-release date sign-ons for games?

snookie_wookums

CAGiversary!
I just snagged a copy of RE5 at a local store, and was wondering if Sony does that crap that MS does with Xbox Live, where they ban your account if you sign onto a multiplayer game before the actual release date. Any help?

doubt it . i was pkaying fear2 a few days before release and im fine. you just have to hope the servers are up . i remember a few earlybirds with lbp and they couldnt go online

[quote name='AIZEN']How were you guys able to pick it up so early?
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

I actually bought a copy from Amazon... :)

Saint

There's a store called Game Champ in Brooklyn on 5th Avenue and 13th street that has them. It was 10 bucks over the normal retail, but I couldn't resist. I think it's like the 1st time ever that I paid over retail price for a game. Ha!

I've gotten a few releases prior to the street date, and I've never had an issue. It's not like the x360 situation where you actually have pirated versions of the games out there. If you obtained the game, Sony has no reason to punish you since it's a legitimate retail copy.

[quote name='dragonjud']I've gotten a few releases prior to the street date, and I've never had an issue. It's not like the x360 situation where you actually have pirated versions of the games out there. If you obtained the game, Sony has no reason to punish you since it's a legitimate retail copy.[/quote]

Right, but I heard a rumor that Microsoft would ban your account if you played a game online prior to release date, even with legal copies. Is that really true, or just some Xbox hating?

[quote name='snookie_wookums']Right, but I heard a rumor that Microsoft would ban your account if you played a game online prior to release date, even with legal copies. Is that really true, or just some Xbox hating?[/quote]

I don't really know. However, it's been said so many times across different forums that even if it's not true, it feels like you shouldn't even try it.

That said, the Asian version of the game for the 360 has been readily available (in this case) since last week (playable on U.S. consoles), so I doubt there's any banning going on because of RE 5.

I had one of the original release LBP games, and could not go online (servers were down). I had no other problem playing it for the 2+ weeks before it was rereleased.

Granted- Sony may have handled that situation differently, because that release was a bit of a cluster.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']Right, but I heard a rumor that Microsoft would ban your account if you played a game online prior to release date, even with legal copies. Is that really true, or just some Xbox hating?[/quote]

i played 50 cent blood in the sand early on my 360, and kz2 early...resulted in no ban for either, if the game has shipped you should be fine, if the game just went gold then maybe on live but not psn

[quote name='dragonjud']It's not like the x360 situation where you actually have pirated versions of the games out there. If you obtained the game, Sony has no reason to punish you since it's a legitimate retail copy.[/quote]

This. There's no way to get a copied game to run on a retail console yet, so they have no reason to think there's foul play or object to it. Reviewers and a handful of other people with early access will have it anyway, so they're expecting it. It's not like on Live, where thousands of people were playing Rock Band 2 or Gears of War 2 weeks before it's release.

Also worth noting that they don't ban accounts for early access as official reviewing companies (whether it be online or in publication) tend to get access to certain games before they're released to the public due to companies sending in games to said companies.

Microsoft doesn't ban anyone for playing games before their release dates. The only way people get banned is if they use downloaded (pirated) copies or leaked reviewer copies (since these are not final version, they are easy to detect).

[quote name='snookie_wookums']There's a store called Game Champ in Brooklyn on 5th Avenue and 13th street that has them. It was 10 bucks over the normal retail, but I couldn't resist. I think it's like the 1st time ever that I paid over retail price for a game. Ha![/QUOTE]

Park Slope represent!!!!!!

[quote name='Danil ACE']Microsoft doesn't ban anyone for playing games before their release dates. The only way people get banned is if they use downloaded (pirated) copies or leaked reviewer copies (since these are not final version, they are easy to detect).[/QUOTE]

This... I know plenty of people that had multiple games (major titles too) before release that never got banned playing it while connected to Live. I am talking Gears 2, Rock Band 2, RE5 (now), Fallout 3, etc. with no issues. I am pretty sure that the online stuff is blocked up until the week of the release for the most part, but I was pretty sure that was the case with PS3 games as well due to the companies not having servers up yet.

MS/Sony are not going to ban people from their networks simply because they have played the game early, they have some sort of proof of tampering with the system in order to do this or they would have been sued plenty of times I am sure (since a ban for that type of thing is usually a permanent ban for the entire console I believe).

No, I've played Flower, LBP, and MLB 09 on the PS3 before they were out without any penalty, except maybe a message from people on my friends list here or there. I've even played NCAA Football 09 on the Xbox 360 a week before it came out and had no issues either.

I got Buzz Quiz TV about a week before launch and played most of the online MyBuzz quizzes without any trouble.

bread's done
Back