Does Remote Play ever work well?

PenguinMaster

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I just tried playing the Crash Bandicoot games on my Vita via PS3 remote play and it was terrible. The graphics looked fuzzy and the there was a lot of lag. Do any games play well via Remote Play? Is this what we can expect from PS4 to Vita Remote Play?

I already posted this in the PS3 forum, but was curious to see if I'd get more responses here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tried it to be honest but I'm curious were you doing this via ad-hoc(local network) or over the internet?

I've played GoW a few times and Ico via remote play ad-hoc.  Seemed to work ok, some lag but playable. It's really not all it's cracked up to be... Hopefully the PS4 will change that.  I'm not convinced but I really do want to play PS4 games on my Vita screen.

Do all games work with remote play, or do only some? I'm getting a Vita finally and want to test this option out. If Ni no Kuni works with Remote Play (and well), that would be cool.

Do all games work with remote play, or do only some? I'm getting a Vita finally and want to test this option out. If Ni no Kuni works with Remote Play (and well), that would be cool.
I think there's all of 5 or 6 PS3 games that support it. That's why it was such a big deal for Sony to announce that support of Remote Play is mandatory for PS4 games.

Actually it's 13 according to this site: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/general-vita-discussion/146032-playstation-vita-remote-play-compatibility-list.html

So, yeah, that's not pretty. Though it does say all PS1 games work. Too bad you can't just run the PS1 games directly on Vita, though. Still, I will have to explore some of the offerings there - played on the small screen I'm sure they look pretty good.
You can play PS1 games directly on Vita. And if you get custom firmware on your PS3 you can unlock the remote play feature so more games work. Apparently Sony locks out remote play support in the firmware which is why so few games support it.

I've tried using remote play with the ICO collection and it worked fine for me. I really don't see much use for it since most PS3 games really aren't designed to be played on a handheld console.

I've played GoW a few times and Ico via remote play ad-hoc. Seemed to work ok, some lag but playable. It's really not all it's cracked up to be... Hopefully the PS4 will change that. I'm not convinced but I really do want to play PS4 games on my Vita screen.
This, the graphics on GoW seemed more duller too for some reason and I was 4 feet away.

This, the graphics on GoW seemed more duller too for some reason and I was 4 feet away.
It doesn't matter how close the PS3 and Vita are, the determining factor is distance to your wireless router and its performance.

This reminds me of people complaining about cell phone coverage by saying "I can't even call my friend and he's standing right next to me." They fail to realize they're probably miles from the nearest cell tower and that's the real reason why the quality isn't up to par.

It doesn't matter how close the PS3 and Vita are, the determining factor is distance to your wireless router and its performance.

This reminds me of people complaining about cell phone coverage by saying "I can't even call my friend and he's standing right next to me." They fail to realize they're probably miles from the nearest cell tower and that's the real reason why the quality isn't up to par.
As I understand it the vita/psp actually make an adhoc connection directly to the wifi on the ps3 (when connecting inside your house) and not through your wireless router, so your proximity to the ps3 does matter.

I stand corrected, so long as the PS3 was selected as the wireless network as opposed to the wireless router. Otherwise what I said is correct. :)

bread's done
Back