Does sony sell the HDD seperate?

[quote name='Scrubking']You are getting FF11 for FREE. Just don't play it and trade it in to EB.[/quote]

Will they take it though? You can't play FF11 without the hard drive, so there's no point having the game without the hard drive. And as you can't currently buy a hard drive without FF11, there's no market for it.

Last time I checked games still break, get scratched, get lost, etc.

And if you want to find out if they'll take it you need to ask them.

Well, if you really don't want FFXI why not get the PS2 Linux kit? It costs the same but comes with a usb keyboard and mouse, network adapter, and monitor cable. It could provide a clunky backup computer in case your main rig goes down or if nothing else you could sell the keyboard, mouse and network adapter for maybe 35-40 dollars and get the cost on the HDD down to 60-ish.

edit: the drive isn't formatted for anything but Linux use?! It can go to hell!

Why would you want the hard drive if you did not want to play FF? It is the only game that uses it so far.

[quote name='Indiana']Why would you want the hard drive if you did not want to play FF? It is the only game that uses it so far.[/quote]

I think it cuts down load times on several games from what I have heard.

Also I am pretty sure daphatty said the linux kit is not formatted until you install linux on it

I think I heard that it will eventually be sold separately, but only after several games that use it have been released. Right now, since FFXI is the only game that uses it, you'll have to buy both together unless someone on eBay is splitting the bundles up.

Just in case this isn't clear, the harddrive will not improve load times for any existing games. Right now only FFXI works with the drive. I hear that Gran Turismo 4 will support the drive and I'm sure there will be others.

Sony has stated that they will sell it separately in the future when other games require it. Currently, FFXI is the only that REQUIRES the HDD. Socom 2 and RE: Outbreak support it but do not require it.

The Hard Drives Sony uses for FFXI and the PS2 Linux Kit are rebadged Maxtor Drives. In theory, you could buy a 160Gb Maxtor Drive and plug it in. (This has been done with the linux kit.) The only thing I don't know about is whether or not FFXI has the ability to format the drive for use with games. Sony has a format utility in Japan (ver. 1.10) but not here in the states.

The other issue is that the drive needs a set of rails which hold it level when inserted into the PS2. Unless you are good with metal... well you get the picture.

Your best bet is to buy the PS2 Linux Kit for $99. And if you are hard core, sell everything except the rails, and the buy a larger hard drive.

RE OB uses the HDD to improve load times, and there's supossed to be DL content on the way (ditto for Socom 2).

Chances are they'll sell the HDD without FF 11, but don't expect a drop in price (or at least not a big one), FF 11 comes *free* with the HDD, just like TMB:O came free with the NA.

the guy at my local ebgames told me if i don't buy the HD i will never get to play my PS2 again because all games will require it, pretty sure he was lying but i was just like oh that sucks guess i'll have to sell my PS2 and he was like how about the suffering wanna pre order that

then i left

^^^ strange story.

I guess in time most games will have some kind of extra features for it, but I highly doubt alot of games will require the HDD.

the linux kiit is not for playing games on. i know this because no games now or in the future support the formatt

bread's done
Back