Does the Day Watch DVD Have the Cool Animated Subtitles?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
I've had the DVD since last Saturday and still havne't figured out how to get the animated subtitles to work or if there are any at all. They had the animated subtitles on the release of Night Watch and during its theatrical release, Day Watch had animated subtitles.

Edit: Oh and since this is semi-related, Does anyone know when the final book in the tetralogy will be translated and released? I'm talking about Final Watch as the other three have already been published here. Any other books in this universe?

And one more question, any idea where you can get the original Russian versions of the two films with English subtitles? I would like to see the difference that I've read about.

im not really sure what you mean by Russian versions but the version i saw from netflix was russian with english subs and as far as i knew there was no animated subtitles......
but then again i didnt really look.

great movie though :) i gotta check out day watch

[quote name='chimpian']im not really sure what you mean by Russian versions but the version i saw from netflix was russian with english subs and as far as i knew there was no animated subtitles......
but then again i didnt really look.

great movie though :) i gotta check out day watch[/quote]

There is the original cut from Russia (the way it was originally shown there in its native homeland and presented) and then there was an international cut that was shown pretty much to the rest of the world. I'm not sure about how it was shown in America, though. For the little bit it was in theatres here, I never managed to see it since I think only 3 theatres had it, but when it was shown here it did have the animated subtitles in its theatrical release. So far I haven't been able to find out whether there are or aren't the animated subtitles on this release.

I picked up the DVD when it was first released (not sure if there are multiple versions or not).

When playing the widescreen side with Russian audio and English subtitles it did have the animated subtitles. I never saw it in theaters so I'm not sure if it is the same animation, but they would interact with the scene and such. Was a neat effect.

Picked up Daywatch just this week, looking forward to watching it.

Edit: yeah, ignore all of this, I answered for Nightwatch, not Daywatch (which I picked up but haven't seen yet).
Thank goodness the weekend is coming up -- I need the rest.

According to Amazon's reviews, it does NOT have the animated subtitles, just "normal" white text subtitles.

Man, I hate Fox. I can't understand their choices for the life of me.

I'm guessing that the animated subtitles were burned into the video instead of rendered by the software on the DVD player so if you wanted to use Spanish or French(or whatever) subtitles they'd be overlayed over the animated English subtitles?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']And one more question, any idea where you can get the original Russian versions of the two films with English subtitles? I would like to see the difference that I've read about.[/QUOTE]

I've watched the uncut Russian version of Night Watch and the "International Cut," and I can tell you that the shorter, American theatrical edit is the better version. The scenes that were cut from the original Russian version are all pointless distractions from the narrative.

As far as I know, the only official version of the original cut of Night Watch that includes English subtitles is the Russian 3 disc limited edition. (The English subtitled single disc version is out of print.)
http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/night-watch-limited-edition-p-7150.html

I may be mistaken, but as far as I know, the American release of Day Watch wasn't edited.

[quote name='chakan']According to Amazon's reviews, it does NOT have the animated subtitles, just "normal" white text subtitles.

Man, I hate Fox. I can't understand their choices for the life of me.[/quote]

Hey, thanks for the info. I didn't think about checking Amazon. Yeah, I searched the disc all over, but couldn't find the animated subtitles so gave up on it. I actually forgot, actually more or less found it again, but I just found my Russian version from Comic-Con so I'm going to watch the movie again and test it to see if it has the animated subtitles. Pretty stupid of them to release it without the animated subtitles, but this just goes to show Fox's ineptitude. They're probably going to release Day Watch the ultimate super animated subtitles edition just like they have for a ton of their other movies.

bread's done
Back