Does the fact we are CAG mean we are poor? What do you do and whats your salary?

icecubedx5

CAGiversary!
I'm in my 20's and am interested in hearing about what people here do for a living and how much they make. Mainly because I'm looking for a career change and because I am a "rookie" in the working world, I'm looking for tips or be pointed in the right direction from all the "seasoned veterans" out there. I also want to see if people here make a great living, yet still are Cheap Ass Gamers. All in all, this is supposed to be for fun, but also helpful.

Please keep this thread as honest as possible. If you make a shit salary, post it, no one here should judge anyone. If you make a big salary, don't feel like your showing off, after all, I'm the one asking you how much you make. Also, people tend to "exaggerate" their income because they have big egos. Let's keep it honest instead of having too much bullshit here.

I'll start off. I work in the Human Resource Department for a staffing agency. Ironically I went to the agency so they could find me a job, and they hired me internally at a shit $8.00/hour. I took it because I had ZERO office experience and desperately needed to upgrade my resume. Within a year, I was promoted and they bumped me up to $14/hour which is still shit considering I work in NYC.

Over the summer I worked two jobs in tandem for $8.75 an hour and $7.50 an hour. Overall I came away with around $5K by the time the summer ended, which wasn't too bad. Couple that with an instructor position at my university that pays for my credits as well as a $6500 stipend and I do pretty well for myself over the course of a year, considering I'm a student and really only working part-time if at all.

Money for games? It primarily stems out of what I budget from the year. Then again, I shop around for games like I do movies, books, supplies, food, and everything else.

I don't make a fortune, far from it, but I use coupons like nobody's business, take advantage of Double Coupons and Triple Coupons, jump on clearances...basically, my food budget is around $100 and yet I stretch it out to around $250 or $300 by not eating out and shopping right/cooking. And since I have a lot of clothes I pick up extra when other ones become too worn...only at the end of the season, though, when everything is around 40% to 60% off and then I have a 20% off coupon for a one-day sale.

So blah blah blah blah blah and then, by the time the year ends, I'm still up more than a lot of money, have everything I need, and I've picked up 95% of the games I wanted to get. If you're really serious about shopping, comparing prices, and taking full advantages of sales and deals then you can save an inordinate amount of money in comparison to others.

It's all about the little things too. Sure, saving 10 cents here and 15 cents there at the supermarket doesn't seem to add up but try tallying that at the end of an entire year. When those little dimes and nickles add up to a few hundred dollars, that's something I like keeping in my pocket!

i currently make $304 a week from unemployment:D but i am taking a medical exam next week for a postal job that will pay $18.50 a hour so i wont be able to collect unemployment much longer

hubby makes something like 50000 ish a year w/ his housing and benifets and such in the airforce... and pay raises evry year of course, abet they are rather small ones. not terrible given he has absolutly no college education.

[quote name='Roufuss']This belongs more in the Off Topic forum than it does in Deal Discussions and Bragging Rights.[/quote]
Exactly. For many of us, the answer to this question is no bragging matter ;)

[quote name='d00k']I'm 17, I work at a convenience store, I only get $5 bucks an hour.[/quote]

5 bucks an hour!? Dude, minimum wage is 5.15.

Currently, I'm unemployed, I'm able to pay my bills with a monthly annuity check though

i make $9.25 an hour as "Scanner Operator" lol we just play with a PC/Scanner all day..laugh..and..go home. Mmmm it's a good time and easy work. :D

student, I'm 25, I sell on ebay and have long term savings from the first half of my 20s. It's not much but enough to squeeze by until I get my next decent job next summer.

I take advantage of enough deals and loopholes so that my games are ridiculously cheap and can fit in my budget.

I make $43,000 a year I set up In-Home Pulmonary Equipment, but the big money in the family comes from my wife she make about $85,000 a year being a workmens comp lawyer for the state.

$12.00 an hour doing computer programming for my college, UCCS. So yeah, I'm a 21 year old student.

I'm a grad student, but since I'm in for the long run, a PhD eventually, I get full tuition and 17k this year for TAing one class. This year that's just grading.

It's a great deal bc that includes health insurance and access to all full time student stuff, and I can still work and make as much as I want in the summer (if I need extra money now I can always find some part time stuff in the school libraries, but being in north carolina it's cheap to live)

For all you undergrads, do well and they'll pay you to go to grad school.

I'm a student, but I'm also an only child and my dad has a very nice job as a banking exec, so I'm definitely not poor, but I still like to get deals where I can anyways. ;)

Thanks to a new incentive program at my job with a pharmaceutical company I hope to crack six figures this year or next. Still shop for deals/clearance so that I can save as much as possible though. My wife is awesome at finding deals.

[quote name='lilboo']i make $9.25 an hour as "Scanner Operator" lol we just play with a PC/Scanner all day..laugh..and..go home. Mmmm it's a good time and easy work. :D[/quote]

LOL we've placed alot of scanner operators for a cline of ours that is a copy operator firm, $8.50 an hour.

Does the fact we are CAG mean we are poor?

I cannot vouch for you, but being a CAG means that I'm smart.

It taught me the lesson that NO video game is worth more than $19.99. No matter how good-looking and fun-playing.

Now if you want to spend $59.99 on a videogame, that's on you. Not for me. Because of CAG, I've spent $130 on $800 worth of game titles. Because of CAG, I got a 360 for $350, while the rest of the world will be shelling out $500+ on the dreaded "bundles" this fall.

Not trying to kiss ass or anything; just telling it like it is.

i make around 40k/year selling wireless phones, hopefully that will be boosted to around 60k in a few months if i get the promotion im eyeing

I've got some health problems that until they get taken care of, I'm still living with my parents. No job, no income, has also meant no new games for a while.

I'm a student. I make what I manage to con out of people by buying their crap at small prices then fixing it up and selling it. That and I guess my dad pays for a lot of stuff. It's nice to see a person make 200k a year yet have nothing past a highschool education. Though I severely doubt I'd be able to pull off what he did. I just don't have that kind of work ethic or will to strap myself to a fat wife and a worthless daughter.

I'm a store manager of a music store. $35,000 starting salary with bonuses. I've made an extra $4,400 since January :D

Where has most of it gone? Hell if I know! ;)

[quote name='Paco']I'm a student. I make what I manage to con out of people by buying their crap at small prices then fixing it up and selling it. That and I guess my dad pays for a lot of stuff. It's nice to see a person make 200k a year yet have nothing past a highschool education. Though I severely doubt I'd be able to pull off what he did. I just don't have that kind of work ethic or will to strap myself to a fat wife and a worthless daughter.[/QUOTE]

Oh, c'mon now... I'm sure you're not worthless, paco...

[quote name='javeryh']A lot. I think.[/QUOTE]

You should photoshop the Hutz icon to have a tuxedo, monocle, and top hat, and pay pal 10-cents to the poor kids on here like old man Rockefeller used to do back in the Depression era.

[quote name='depascal22']35 bucks an hour as a traveling sugical technologist. 4 years in the Air Force got me to where I'm at today.[/quote]

Holy crap. I work as a (C)ST also, but at the city hospital where I live in NY. I make $16.78 an hour. I also did 4 years in the Air Force. What company are you working for? PPR? RN Network? Let me know, because I want to sign up for that amount of money.

I would like to say that I am a student but I'm technically not. I went to Cal for 2 years and ended up taking a personal withdrawal so I could find work to support myself. Financial aid/small scholarships and a part time job at a video game store just wasn't enough for me to pay for rent, food, books, school (thank god I'm a resident), and a life. I currently make $14 per hour working as a traveling medical assistant. I go out to meet doctors who come to Northern California for a few days from other areas (involves a LOT of driving). I just got a temporary data entry position during the night shift which I start at on Tuesday. Am I going to sleep? Nope. Am I ever going to go back to Cal and then go to med school like I originally planned? I don't want to think about it (at least I have a good GPA....)

I just made myself depressed.

I'm currently in my last year of neurology training, pursuing a one-year movement disorders fellowship making just under $50,000 this year. However, all those years in school and training will finally start to pay off next year when I actually enter the real world of medicine. Looks like there is a decent market for neurologists these days.

6.50, part time, swing shifts.

I make about $130 per week after taxes... Considering I am a full time student and can only work very limited hours, that is pretty good.

I am gonna quit in the summer and get a really sweet job, like a lifeguard or something, that would be fun.

I work as a man whore. About $300-500 for Fridays and $1000 on Saturday. I've got more warts on the plane than you can shake a stick at!!!!!!

I'm a poor HS student who makes $12-16 per game of kids soccer that I referee. I usually get 3+ games per weekend, so I think I'm doing pretty well for being in HS.

the only problem is that is not soccer season yet, so I'm completely broke.

20 year old student working part time at a movie theater for $7 an hour, roughly 10K a year because I do get nice hours. I'm lucky in that I live close enough to a University to stay at home, and have a nice scholarship to help me out in college. I've saved up about 13K so far.

poor college student who lives off loans/grants. Im working towards my BS and and then my MS in electrical engineering, possibly even a PhD. In a couple of years I should be making around 63k out of college with my MS.

I make $14/hr doing tech support and am a college dropout. I guess I'm pretty lucky to be in the tech support field, my previous job was with Unisys and the only other job I had on my resume was a shitty check authorization job. Work there pretty much sucked, but it helped me get the job I currently have which is for a company that actually cares about their employee's.

I'm a student, so yes, I'm pretty damn poor (well... not as poor as a lot of students.) But really, I think it's more of an issue of being smart. Regardless of how much money you have, but still benefit by spending less on stuff. Spending say... $1000 on gaming rather than $5000 because you were smart about shopping is clearly a huge difference whcih being a CAG makes possible. It's all about being at least semi-intelligent about spending which is why CAG is useful to more than just people who are dirt poor.

I work part-time since I'm a college student and make $12/hr catering. It will get bumped up to $15 sometime soon, I think, but it kind of sucks since I work once a week at the most. Oh well, it gives me enough to buy a few things here and there and pay my cell bill.

I'm an Account/Auditor for state government. The pay sucks horribly but the work isnt too difficult and my benefits are pretty good.

bread's done
Back