Does this craigslist deal sound fishy?

JJBro1

CAGiversary!
So I'm selling my pspgo for $200 and I have a potential buyer. Here are the emails we exchanged, tell me if there is anything fishy about this.

Buyer-
Hello there,

Is this item still up for sale?

Regards

Me-Yes it is

Buyer-Hello,
Thanks for the mail and Hope thing is okay over there,i just want you to know am interesting in this item for my cousin who is now relocate overseas for his Birthday Gift and i would have make it face to face to know the present condition of the item but rightnow am in United Kingdom on Business Trip and i willing to pay you $200.00USD as Best Offer and i'll be adding $100.00USD for shipping Charges Via USPS Express Mail service International(EMS) to her place,so if you don't mind i can make the
payment through PayPal so kindly get back to me with your PayPal Email ID so that i can proceed with the payment asap..
Thanks and get back to me asap

Reason why I'm concerned is because the buyer never mentions PSPGO and says item. Almost as if this was a generic email. Also why would they go to the craigslist in my area if they're in the UK, and that they're willing to spend another $100 for the shipping? Also I've never sold anything using paypal before? Anything I should know before selling?

It is a scam, do not respond. Never respond to people who want you to ship over sea's. The whole point of craigslist is to sell to someone locally.

[quote name='toocool17']it is a scam, do not respond. Never respond to people who want you to ship over sea's. The whole point of craigslist is to sell to someone locally.[/quote]
+1

Tell him to send you $300 cash in an envelope with a return address and you will ship it right out.

Obvious scam.

[quote name='javeryh']Tell him to send you $300 cash in an envelope with a return address and you will ship it right out.

Obvious scam.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I usually tell ppl who want to ship overseas to go fuck themselves

I am ready to purchase it asap.I anticipate that I'll have a Certified
Check issued out to you from my bank (Bank Of America).I'm in no rush
with you till fund's are cleared in your bank. You do not have to
bother yourself about the pick up. I'll instruct a Shipping Co Agent
to come for pick up at your door,when you must have gotten your cash
at hand. Kindly e-mail me back with your physical address such as
Name,Address (NOT P.o.box) City, State, Zip-code, Phone Number.I will
be sending the payment via USPS Express Postal Service .You can delete
the advert asap

Thanks
This is the one I got the other day as well.

It's amazing to me that these scammers make millions of dollars every year. Just think how much more they could make if they took some pride in their work and actually wrote a coherent email? Slackers!

[quote name='javeryh']It's amazing to me that these scammers make millions of dollars every year. Just think how much more they could make if they took some pride in their work and actually wrote a coherent email? Slackers![/QUOTE]

Well from the OP, it looks like they don't really need to. The fact that someone even needs to ask if this is a scam shows that people are, well, stupid.

The person likely has a fake Paypal template that he just splices your ID into, then sends it from some random email address such as, "[email protected]"

You then check your paypal account and see no money, then shake your head and feel the urge to kill rising.

That's from my personal experiences at least.

A couple of Craigslists flags that I noticed right away.

1. "Is this item still up for sale?" Any time there is a generic request for an item without referencing what the item is be cautious.

2. "USD". Who in America says that?

[quote name='horns456']A couple of Craigslists flags that I noticed right away.

1. "Is this item still up for sale?" Any time there is a generic request for an item without referencing what the item is be cautious.

2. "USD". Who in America says that?[/QUOTE]

though i agree its a scam

I do say USD, and live in the us... mostly since i do a lot of selling/trading with JP people ^^;; I still do say it =\

Definately a scam. I was selling an Xbox 360 on craiglist and I got an email similar to this one. They offered to pay me like $100 more than what I asked, and $50 for shipping overseas. I could tell it was a scam just by how they were talking to me, so I said as soon as the money is IN my bank account, I'll ship it.

They stopped talking to me after that.

Funny.

oh, those wacky nigerians...

Hello i really appreciate your response to my earlier mail. like i
said i will like to buy this item so pls do withdraw the advert from
Craigslist.and i want to use the medium to tell you i wont be able to
come and inspect the item or pay for it i cash,that is why i brought
up this idea though i am a united states citizen i am willing to buy
this item as a soon as possible,However am buying this for a daughter
as Birthday gift, i would appreciate if you allow me to pay through
paypal and i will add $120 as shipping cost..However if you don't have
pay pal account you can just log on to paypal.com and set up an
account it is free easy and secure to pay and receive money through
paypal.get back to me asap.

I got a number of these once when I was trying to sell a PS3 on craigslist. I sent emails back to all of them telling them to fuck off, and then one of them kept sending me emails claiming (s)he had sent payment and was going to get his/her lawyer involved--hilarious considering the email was written at an elementary school-level and that I never gave the person any sort of contact or payment information.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']oh, those wacky nigerians...

Hello i really appreciate your response to my earlier mail. like i
said i will like to buy this item so pls do withdraw the advert from
Craigslist.and i want to use the medium to tell you i wont be able to
come and inspect the item or pay for it i cash,that is why i brought
up this idea though i am a united states citizen i am willing to buy
this item as a soon as possible,However am buying this for a daughter
as Birthday gift, i would appreciate if you allow me to pay through
paypal and i will add $120 as shipping cost..However if you don't have
pay pal account you can just log on to paypal.com and set up an
account it is free easy and secure to pay and receive money through
paypal.get back to me asap.[/QUOTE]

Take his money and don't send him shit. I saw a dateline special where these piece of shit nigerians took this woman for $220k. Poor lady lost all her lifes savings. I know it's her fault but still. :cry:

Best thing to do is put is caps NO SCAMMERS/LOCAL PICKUP/CASH ONLY in the post it will usually keep most of the scam emails away...I sold a bunch of stuff on the cl lately and when I didn't include that on items over 100 i got scammers but when I did I got 0 scammer emails

Just tell me your (Paypal) and email and password and buddy my buddy you will get da money.

I bet I'd make a Fortune introducing spell check and selling english Grammer lessons to there community.

[quote name='phantasyx']Just tell me your (Paypal) and email and password and buddy my buddy you will get da money.

I bet I'd make a Fortune introducing spell check and selling English grammer lessons to their community.[/QUOTE]

Fixed

I had a funny one recently. Someone emailed me about a PSP Slim I was selling on CL, and he asked if it was still available. I reply with "Yes", and in the same minute, got the reply about shipping it blah blah, and that he had checked out the condition of the item I was selling. I was like, wow, you checked out the condition how? Dumbass can't even set up auto-responses right.

[quote name='horns456']Fixed[/QUOTE]

Ahahaha. Grammar police can't spell grammar.

Seriously, this is nowhere near fixed....
[quote name='horns456']
I bet I'd make a Fortune introducing spell check and selling English grammer lessons to their community.
[/QUOTE]

It is kind of weird to me how unsophisticated most of these scams are. If some Nigerian dude who creates fake PayPal emails rife with formatting mistakes and who can't string three English words together into a sentence can make enough money for the scam to be worthwhile, you'd think that any American kid with some basic HTML knowledge could really make a killing. So how come the Nigerians are the only ones making the effort?

[quote name='admiralvic']though i agree its a scam

I do say USD, and live in the us... mostly since i do a lot of selling/trading with JP people ^^;; I still do say it =\[/QUOTE]

i was chanting USD At the olympics

:)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']So how come the Nigerians are the only ones making the effort?[/QUOTE]

because Nigerians have no soul. I like playing along a bit just to screw with em.

> sounds okay. but since you wrote this email my item has become valued and
> extremely rare. I will have to ask that you pay me $400 for the item and
> the shipping to be $200 because I need to ensure it gets to you unharmed. I
> plan on using a box made out of adamantium for security. I am sure you know
> the value of this so it shouldn't be a problem.

Ok,no problem,hope the item works very good,so do get back to me with
your paypal email address and lemme know the total amount i would be
paying you.Thanks

Hope to read from you soon

sigh...

[quote name='tankass']So if thats how they work, couldnt you just tell them you sent it and try to get them to pay you? Worst case scenario, they stop bothering you. Best case they actually send you the money.[/QUOTE]
Umm.. if they pay you then they aren't scammers. If you tell them you sent it to see if they'll pay you then you're the scammer and you are scum.

I don't think you were trying to recommend scamming people though, just a misguided response from you.

[quote name='SMITTYBLAZE']Umm.. if they pay you then they aren't scammers. If you tell them you sent it to see if they'll pay you then you're the scammer and you are scum.

I don't think you were trying to recommend scamming people though, just a misguided response from you.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you actually get paid, then you can send the item obviously. Clearly if they are legit they can actually go through paypal and complain. The suggestion was more for getting these guys off your back before they send the FBI after you. Although I kinda want that email now. Would be funny to see them try and convince you that the government is spending its resources to get you to send an item overseas. The 48 hour deadline was classic too.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Well from the OP, it looks like they don't really need to. The fact that someone even needs to ask if this is a scam shows that people are, well, stupid.[/QUOTE]

Asking is not stupid. Doing without asking at all would be stupid. At least the OP had the brains to ask, although a search would have worked just as well, at least they asked.

[quote name='dmdragon']Asking is not stupid. Doing without asking at all would be stupid. At least the OP had the brains to ask, although a search would have worked just as well, at least they asked.[/QUOTE]
Good point. Asking and ignoring advice would be stupid, too.

[quote name='SMITTYBLAZE']What do you think happened to Jeff?[/QUOTE]
Not a clue. Although according to the site that supposedly helped him he disappeared after sending the scammer that P-P-P-Powerbook.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not a clue. Although according to the site that supposedly helped him he disappeared after sending the scammer that P-P-P-Powerbook.[/QUOTE]
Gianluca got him? :twoguns:

bread's done
Back