Does your PSP ever just turn on by itself?

Dr. Strangepork

CAGiversary!
I have a 1000 PSP. Every so often it just turns on by itself. Most of the time it then just stays on.

It probably happens more than I notice because sometimes I will go to try to turn it on myself and it won't b/c the battery is dead.

Tonight it turned on and then proceeded to try to obtain an IP address wirelessly like it was trying to connect with my PS3 (which is off).

Strange.

Anyone else experience this or something like it?

I've have a PSP-3000 and I can't say I've come across it turning on by itself.

I've had it freeze, and occasionally randomly turn off by itself but never turned on.

An update did fix all these problems though and now it happens very rarely, if ever.

No. Do you have Remote Play set-up on your PS3 and have Remote Start on? That may be causing issues since I remember hearing people have their PS3's turn on randomly because of that.

It's a ghost trying to play some PSP games. Maybe... Chad Warden died and wants to play the PSP?

Other then that, I have nothing else to say that might be useful.

My PSP's battery seems to drain a lot when I'm not using it. Do you know what you need to do to make sure it enters off mode and not sleep mode? I'd get rid of that 1000 it's going to kill your battery.

[quote name='J7.']My PSP's battery seems to drain a lot when I'm not using it. Do you know what you need to do to make sure it enters off mode and not sleep mode? I'd get rid of that 1000 it's going to kill your battery.[/QUOTE]
If it's a non-GO model, you simply hold the power button in the off mode (pushing upward) for about 3-4 seconds until the power light goes off. You'll know if you were successful because on restart, the Sony Entertainment Corporation bootup will appear, and you'll hear the startup music.
If your WLAN is on and you're connected, I've had problems shutting down quickly, it will sometimes stall.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No. Do you have Remote Play set-up on your PS3 and have Remote Start on? That may be causing issues since I remember hearing people have their PS3's turn on randomly because of that.[/QUOTE]
But his PSP is starting up, not the PS3. Remote Play isn't designed to access the PSP, it's the other way around.
[quote name='Dr. Strangepork']I have a 1000 PSP. Every so often it just turns on by itself. Most of the time it then just stays on.

It probably happens more than I notice because sometimes I will go to try to turn it on myself and it won't b/c the battery is dead.

Tonight it turned on and then proceeded to try to obtain an IP address wirelessly like it was trying to connect with my PS3 (which is off).

Strange.

Anyone else experience this or something like it?[/QUOTE]
My guess is that it isn't turned off completely, but sitting in standby mode while you have the WLAN switch on. Maybe you just finished doing something that involved network activity, and it's still working on it? I find my PSP-1000 is a bit wonky sometimes. It will sometimes freeze or not shut down completely, but it has never turned on by itself.
I'd suggest you make sure you don't have any network activity going on in the background. Turn the unit off completely (hold power button for 3-4 seconds in the off position). Also turn off the WLAN switch when you're not using it. Finally, maybe the power switch is a bit faulty, and it may need to be replaced. The power switch isn't the greatest on these old PSP's, even mine's gotten a bit loose after years of use.

bread's done
Back