Dog the Bounty Hunter arrested for jumping bail.

Oh, the irony.

(CNN) -- Duane "Dog" Chapman, the self-proclaimed world's most-famous bounty hunter who achieved notoriety nabbing thousands of bail jumpers was arrested Thursday for allegedly jumping bail in Mexico.
U.S. marshals arrested the star of the A&E reality show "Dog the Bounty Hunter" at his home in Hawaii at the request of the Mexican government.
Chapman was wanted in connection with his highly publicized 2003 capture of Max Factor cosmetics heir Andrew Luster, who fled to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, after skipping out on a $1 million bail.
Luster was later convicted in-absentia on 86 charges involving drugging three women with the date-rape drug, GHB, and raping them. Luster is serving a 124-year sentence. (Full story)
Chapman's son, Leland, also was arrested Thursday, as was colleague Tim Chapman, who is unrelated but considered a "blood brother" by Dog, according to the reality show's Web site.
Marshals knocked on the door of Chapman's home just after 6 a.m., and they entered the home after the unlatched door came open, said Deputy U.S. Marshal Jay Bieber.
Chapman was cooperative, Bieber said. He was handcuffed and placed in the back of a government vehicle.
Chapman's wife, Beth, told MSNBC her husband was being held in a federal detention center in Honolulu.
The arrest warrant is under seal, and charges are expected to be announced Friday when Chapman is scheduled to appear before a magistrate's court in Honolulu.
Larry Butrick, chief of the criminal division of the U.S. attorney's office in Hawaii, said Chapman was arrested by Mexican authorities in June 2003 on charges of illegal detention and conspiracy.
The magistrate will determine whether Chapman can be extradited to Mexico, and the final decision will be made by the U.S. secretary of state, according to the U.S. attorney's office in Hawaii.
Mexican police said that the three men subdued Luster outside a nightclub, put him in an SUV and drove off June 18, 2003. Police stopped the vehicles soon afterward and took the men into custody.
Chapman and his crew were not authorized to track Luster and take him into custody in Mexico, Mexican officials said at the time, adding that bounty hunting is illegal in Mexico.
Judge Jose de Jesus Pineda ordered the three men to stand trial on charges of unlawful detention and deprivation of freedom, charges which carry sentences of up to four years in prison.
Pineda granted the men bail -- $1,500 each -- but the three were supposed to check in regularly with police and get Pineda's permission before traveling outside the Mexican state of Jalisco, a prosecutor said.
The men did not, supervising prosecutor Marco Roberto Suarez said in July 2003, threatening to have the men arrested and returned to Mexico if they missed their scheduled appearance before Pineda.
The following month, Superior Court Judge Edward Brodie in Ventura County, California, ruled that Chapman was not entitled to any of the $1 million in bail money forfeited by Luster when he fled to Mexico. (Full story)
"I cannot do vigilante justice," Brodie said. "In my view, you violated state statutes and Mexican statutes. Therefore you are not entitled to any restitution."
Chapman later said he was proud that he had captured Luster, but regretted doing it "in the wrong way."
"Dog the Bounty Hunter," in which Chapman and his family chase down bail jumpers and other fugitives, is one of A&E's most popular series. It is in its third season.

Source.

[quote name='dberuvides']:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You get arrested for the samething you arrest people for :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:[/quote]

Yea because id stick around to get sent to a mexican prison too.

That guy chased my sister and her friends when she lived in Hawaii. They probably deserved it since they were using some heavy drugs back then and I would imagine some of them were dealing too but it's still funny that they have so much trouble catching a bunch of low life druggies in Hawaii.

Also saw an episode when he came to the Bay Area looking for some guy and he was going all over my town and the towns near here. Him and his little gang almost got their asses collectively kicked by a single tongan guy (though I'm sure the whole family would have come to whoop their asses as well), cops ended up doing most of the job since they're incapable of capturing any real criminals.

yeah I mean that asshole they got in mexico should be sent to a mexican prison. I am not a real fan of vigilante justice either, unless he wears a cape and can do the Bat-Tusi.

I doubt anything serious will come of this

[quote name='whiteboy']That guy chased my sister and her friends when she lived in Hawaii. They probably deserved it since they were using some heavy drugs back then and I would imagine some of them were dealing too but it's still funny that they have so much trouble catching a bunch of low life druggies in Hawaii.

Also saw an episode when he came to the Bay Area looking for some guy and he was going all over my town and the towns near here. Him and his little gang almost got their asses collectively kicked by a single tongan guy (though I'm sure the whole family would have come to whoop their asses as well), cops ended up doing most of the job since they're incapable of capturing any real criminals.[/QUOTE]

Yea your right the people that try to do good in this world should get their ass kicked. btw Leland, Dogs son is a world champion kickboxer. Yep they don't capture real criminals either. Drug dealing and wife beating aren't crimes at all. Yep the people they arrest that have 30 page rap sheets aren't criminals. My point to all this is I doubt you would stick around to go into a Mexican prison for 4 years. Hell the hotel water gives you the shits, just image the prison.

This story pisses me off. The charges against him are from Mexico and stem from the fact that Mexico doesn't allow bounty hunting. As a result of that policy, Andrew Luster, the guy who Dog went to Mexico and "kidnapped" was able to hide out and avoid prosecution until Dog brought him back to the US. He is now in prison (the article says for 124 years). Oh, but those Mexicans don't mind asking for our people to be "kidnapped" and sent back to them, do they?

[quote name='gregthomas77']This story pisses me off. The charges against him are from Mexico and stem from the fact that Mexico doesn't allow bounty hunting. As a result of that policy, Andrew Luster, the guy who Dog went to Mexico and "kidnapped" was able to hide out and avoid prosecution until Dog brought him back to the US. He is now in prison (the article says for 124 years). Oh, but those Mexicans don't mind asking for our people to be "kidnapped" and sent back to them, do they?[/quote]
So it's ok to go to another country and violate the laws if the end result is good? Check.

[quote name='Quillion']So it's ok to go to another country and violate the laws if the end result is good? Check.[/QUOTE]

Not what I said. Actually, I pointed out that the end result was good, but I am pissed off about the hypocisy of the Mexican government.

And actually, yes. Sometimes it is good to go to another country and violate their laws if the end result is good. Like smuggling people out from under oppressive governments, recovering kidnapped US citizens, etc.

[quote name='Quillion']So it's ok to go to another country and violate the laws if the end result is good? Check.[/quote]

So its ok to run away from another country to avoid repurcussions (sp?) to your actions? :roll:

Granted I'm not a fan of Dog the Crackhead Hunter, I still find it ironic that they will prosecute someone who was trying to detain a wanted individual in the U.S..... yet let millions of their citizens cross our border in mass exodus illegally. That's ironic in its own right... oh wait, I forgot.. the economic impact of their citizens earning tax free income in our nation and sending it back to Mexico.. while violating our laws.. isn't that big of a deal.

I don't know what you guys think, but I'd jump bail too if I faced going to Mexican prison. If Mexico can send millions of its citizens across our borders, the least they could do is allow extradition for our fugitives.

The U.S. and Mexico have an agreement where they'll send their fleeing convicted felons to their respective countries.

With that said, Mexico is trying to... legally kidnap a celebrity, in way of receiving a ransom.

If the U.S. were to fold on the bargain, by returning a someone dodging bail, the Mexican government would do the same. Mexico knows this, and is using it to their monetary advantage -- or so they think, anyway.

[quote name='Graystone']Yea your right the people that try to do good in this world should get their ass kicked. btw Leland, Dogs son is a world champion kickboxer. Yep they don't capture real criminals either. Drug dealing and wife beating aren't crimes at all. Yep the people they arrest that have 30 page rap sheets aren't criminals. My point to all this is I doubt you would stick around to go into a Mexican prison for 4 years. Hell the hotel water gives you the shits, just image the prison.[/QUOTE]
I didn't say they should get their asses kicked, I said they almost got their asses kicked. I also said my sister deserved to get chased/arrested (though they never got her or her friends) hell, if she was arrested she probably would have quit doing drugs sooner and saved herself and everyone else who knew her alot of trouble. I'm not totally against what they're doing, it's nice that they're getting these low lifes off the streets because they aren't high priority enough for the cops and it's nice that they try to reason with the captured person to help them change their life. But they shouldn't get in the way of police business, especially stuff that they can't handle. If they have a lead or any information on a wanted, dangerous criminal they should give it to the police and just keep doing what they do instead of interfering where they're not wanted.

I also never said I'd stick around to go to Mexican prison but I sure as hell wouldnt have bounty hunted some guy in Mexico in the first place. Since this guy is a pro at it I would imagine he knew he was breaking the law and it's significantly more dangerous because hes a celebrity and he wouln't be hard to find.

[quote name='Skylander7']Granted I'm not a fan of Dog the Crackhead Hunter, I still find it ironic that they will prosecute someone who was trying to detain a wanted individual in the U.S..... yet let millions of their citizens cross our border in mass exodus illegally. That's ironic in its own right... oh wait, I forgot.. the economic impact of their citizens earning tax free income in our nation and sending it back to Mexico.. while violating our laws.. isn't that big of a deal.

I don't know what you guys think, but I'd jump bail too if I faced going to Mexican prison. If Mexico can send millions of its citizens across our borders, the least they could do is allow extradition for our fugitives.[/QUOTE]

I know this is kind of off topic, but have you even been to some parts of Mexico? Mexico isn't exactly sending these people to America.

If you've seen some parts of Mexico, you would understand why they would risk their lives to work at some of the worst jobs in our country. These people live in the some of worse environments in the world, and going to the U.S is the best way to make better of their lives.

I wish people like you would see it from both sides of the spectrum before getting up out of your seat over someone getting tax free income of about 5 dollars an hour.

Don't be part of the problem, but work towards a solution. The more you know!

that sucks. Our hawaiin sales rep works out in the same gym as him, and has become friendly with him. We sent them a sample of a dog bounty hunter belt buckle and knife. Dog, and his publicist liked it, and they were going to place an order and send some artwork they wanted us to use. I hope this doesn't fuck up that order.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']"btw Leland, Dogs son is a world champion kickboxer."
No he is not. If he is please let me know what organization or who he has fought?[/quote]

I second this,, I think he has trained but he is by no means a "World Champion" kickboxer..

[quote name='Quillion']So it's ok to go to another country and violate the laws if the end result is good? Check.[/quote]

No, only if that country happens to be Mexico... or Canada.

Gotta to keep America Jr. inline.;)

[quote name='wageslave']I'm surprised our government is even taking Mexican "law" seriously.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
My brother goes down there a lot.. I could tell so many stories its not even funny. Its not even really a low governed by anything but cash.

[quote name='whiteboy']

I also never said I'd stick around to go to Mexican prison but I sure as hell wouldn't have bounty hunted some guy in Mexico in the first place. Since this guy is a pro at it I would imagine he knew he was breaking the law and it's significantly more dangerous because hes a celebrity and he wouln't be hard to find.[/QUOTE]

When that all went he wasn't a celebrity though. I think A&E picked him up because of that. In reality I would have done it also.

[quote name='6669']You mean he wasn't arrested for having a mullet in the year 2006?[/QUOTE]

dog is one of the .001% that can pull of a mullet

[quote name='whiteboy']. But they shouldn't get in the way of police business, especially stuff that they can't handle. If they have a lead or any information on a wanted, dangerous criminal they should give it to the police and just keep doing what they do instead of interfering where they're not wanted.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you truly understand what a bailbonds person and a bounty hunter do. The Andrew Luster had a $1 million bond. Andrew went to Mexico. You can't leave the state when on Bond. Luster fled the country, Dog did what bounty hunters do collect the bond.

[quote name='iheartmetal']dog is one of the .001% that can pull of a mullet[/QUOTE]

i respectfully disagree

moblog_a38db64e0b8b4.jpg

His hair isn't a mullet IMO. Its long and brushed back which is sorta gay. A mullet is short on top (crew cut) and the back of the head has long hair. His hair isn't short on the top. He has long flowing blonde hair. Which in a way is gay. But sense Dog was a boxer, biker & the "worlds greatest bounty hunter" I think we can let him choose what hair he sports

http://www.hairfinder.com/info/mullet.gif

[quote name='Quillion']So it's ok to go to another country and violate the laws if the end result is good? Check.[/QUOTE]

Well the combination of discussing Mexican "law" and your comment makes this very, very funny.

... illegal immigrants? Their citizens break our laws contantly, and yet the Mexican government pretty much approves of it.

[quote name='Deathmonkey']Well the combination of discussing Mexican "law" and your comment makes this very, very funny.

... illegal immigrants? Their citizens break our laws contantly, and yet the Mexican government pretty much approves of it.[/QUOTE]

So its okay to do wrong or bad things because other people do it.

This is the letter I got from the A&E TV club:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Jonathan,

As a fan of Dog the Bounty Hunter, you may have heard his name in the
news recently and we wanted to fill you in on the details.

Dog, Leland and Tim Chapman were taken into custody by U.S. Marshals
early Thursday morning in connection with charges stemming from their
2003 arrest of convicted serial rapist, Andrew Luster.

Andrew Luster, the famed heir to the Max Factor cosmetics fortune, was
convicted of drugging and raping three women over a four year span.
During his trial in 2003, Luster fled the country to Mexico.

In June 2003, Dog and his team tracked the fugitive Luster in Puerto
Vallarta, Mexico, where he was living under an alias, and arrested
him. As bounty hunting is illegal in Mexico, Dog, Tim and Leland
were arrested by the Mexican authorities and Luster was handed over to
the United States government by the Mexicans. He was subsequently
found guilty and is currently serving a 124 year prison sentence.

Bounty hunting is illegal in Mexico, and Dog, Tim and Leland were
arrested by the Mexican authorities. After being released on bail,
Dog, his family and team, returned to Hawaii and to their lives as
bounty hunters.

Yesterday at 6:00am, U.S. Marshals stormed Dog’s home and took him
into custody. They then did the same to Leland and Tim. The three
are being held in Honolulu where they will face an extradition hearing
to Mexico. There will be a hearing in Hawaii today at 3:00pm local
time. At that point we will have more details to share with you.

[quote name='Graystone']So its okay to do wrong or bad things because other people do it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where bringing a convicted rapist to justice is wrong. I also think its stupid that the U.S. justice department is going out of their way to uphold Mexican law, when Mexico's citizens/government have so little regard for ours.

Dog is one of the few living humans who can pull of the traditional "bad-ass" look.

That traditional "bad-ass" look, traditionally, has never worked... and actually counters its own intent. In Dog's case, however, it just makes him that much more cooler.

Did anyone else here see the special edition of Dog the Bounty Hunter: The Family Speaks the other night?

It was a one-hour special on A&E about his arrest, and an in depth explanation of the Andrew Luster arrest. Dog is now out on bail ($300,000), and is on a sort of house arrest. He can go where he wants, but has a curfew of 11pm-5am when he has to be home.

bread's done
Back