Dogz,Catz,Hamsterz, & Horsez. Reviews?

captaincold

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Been seeing these DS games advertised for the past month but haven't been able to locate any reviews.

If anyone has them or can direct me to reviews that would be appreciated.

No, I know what it is, but still... Horsez?

What kind of fucking stupid name is that?

I guess I'm just not down with the new slang. I should change my name to Roufuzz.

[quote name='Josef']Is Hamsterz that Japanese hamster title that Nintendo released in Japan?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, that one was called Hamster Love or Love Hamster, right? I was really hoping that would get ported over here as well.

I am very intrigued this Hamsterz Life game though. But it's 30 bucks, and I just can't fork that over right now. If it got down to 15, I'd snatch it up and see if it was any good.

I have heard some things about Catz and Dogz--no reviews to speak of, but in Nintendo Power charts, I have seen both of them on the top 10 for GBA games. Of course, that's not saying a lot, but some people are apparently enjoying them.

[quote name='f4t4lfury']I don't think so, that one was called Hamster Love or Love Hamster, right? I was really hoping that would get ported over here as well.

I am very intrigued this Hamsterz Life game though. But it's 30 bucks, and I just can't fork that over right now. If it got down to 15, I'd snatch it up and see if it was any good.

I have heard some things about Catz and Dogz--no reviews to speak of, but in Nintendo Power charts, I have seen both of them on the top 10 for GBA games. Of course, that's not saying a lot, but some people are apparently enjoying them.[/QUOTE]

It looks like Ubisoft picked up the rights to the Japanese game as IGN is listing it as such (see "also known as" under the title in the link):

http://ds.ign.com/objects/847/847018.html

Any reviewz for Hamsterz yet?

When is CAGz coming out? I want to find virtual game deals. Also, you get bonus minigames for every "I'm drunk", "I crashed my car", "There's this chick I'm stalking", "What's the best.." poll, "[Insert Retail Store] employees suck!" thread that gets started.

sorry to bump this but while at TRU today I saw a copy of Hamsterz Life and apparently it's the same game as Hamster Love :)

the cover has been changed complete with a knitting hamster???

hamsterzt.jpg

the only 3 reviews I could find:

http://www.gamevortex.com/gamevortex/soft_rev.php/3413

http://www.gamesasylum.com/?p=212

http://nds.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r30466.htm

oh and official site...

http://petz.us.ubi.com/

I am amazingly even more intrigued by this game and am becoming very compelled to pick it up, even with the horrible title and cover.

I know this is a double post, but fuck...

man, I haven't been so hyped about a game so fast. 5 min record time. Jeeze, too fucking awesome. I'll probably be getting this tomorrow :lol: wow... how sad.

[quote name='Roufuss']No, I know what it is, but still... Horsez?

What kind of fucking stupid name is that?

I guess I'm just not down with the new slang. I should change my name to Roufuzz.[/quote]

No, Hater would suffice. ;)

[quote name='lawdood']I'm still waiting for Gerbilz, where you play as Richard Gere.[/QUOTE]

And THERE IT IS - a full 17 posts into this thread. I am amazed it took that long :rofl:.

Back on topic, hmm, I always figured these games as cheap knock-offs capitalizing on the success of Nintendogs. It appears from most of the reviews that this is the case (though Hamsterz appears to be better than Catz and Dogz). I noticed many of these (in particular the GBA versions) being bought by little kids at TRU with their Christmas gift cards (while I was there looking for Steambot, Metal Saga, etc). Those and crappy licensed games. I felt bad for all these kids with game-ignorant parents who just went along with whatever (my kids get steered towards higher caliber types of game - plus I'd never let them buy anything at full retail ;)).

I wish Nintendo would come out with a Nintencats though - I'd buy that in a second if it had the quality and presentation of Nintendogs. I've played Nintendogs for all of about an hour though :lol:. My kids would prefer a Cats one and I would probably get into it a bit too.

[quote name='io']Back on topic, hmm, I always figured these games as cheap knock-offs capitalizing on the success of Nintendogs. It appears from most of the reviews that this is the case (though Hamsterz appears to be better than Catz and Dogz). [/quote]

Yes and no. I think Catz and Dogz are based off of PC games. My recollection is that the early PC ones are terrible, but the later ones are okay, but still no Nintendogs. The GBA versions were based off the later PC games. I don't know how different the DS and GBA versions are.

[quote name='io']
I noticed many of these (in particular the GBA versions) being bought by little kids at TRU with their Christmas gift cards (while I was there looking for Steambot, Metal Saga, etc). Those and crappy licensed games. I felt bad for all these kids with game-ignorant parents who just went along with whatever[/quote]
I'll cop to getting my kid GBA Catz. I got it last year at Best Buy using a GGC while it was on sale.

I didn't want to buy him anything horrid, but the truth is that he loves cats and whatever limits the game has aren't that important to him. It's a virtual cat he can name and play with and take care of, and that's enough.

You also have to remember that we adults and older gamers have seen lots of bad, boring games and had our fill of them. But lots of the licensed games aren't that bad -- they're just tired. Tired to us. Eventually kids will grow bored of the limited, same-old gameplay.

Catz is obnoxiously cute and has really irritating music and cats singing, but it's fun for him to play around with it. It's not Nintendogs, but there's no Nintencats and until there is one, Catz is better than nothing. To him. And since it didn't cost me a whole lot of money, who am I to complain?

[quote name='io']I wish Nintendo would come out with a Nintencats though - I'd buy that in a second if it had the quality and presentation of Nintendogs. I've played Nintendogs for all of about an hour though :lol:. My kids would prefer a Cats one and I would probably get into it a bit too.[/quote]
I don't know why they haven't by now. It seems like such a natural moneymaker for them. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

[quote name='blandstalker']
Catz is obnoxiously cute and has really irritating music and cats singing, but it's fun for him to play around with it. It's not Nintendogs, but there's no Nintencats and until there is one, Catz is better than nothing. To him. And since it didn't cost me a whole lot of money, who am I to complain?

[/QUOTE]

Well, OK, you sold me. I'll add this to my "look for on clearance" list. If Kmart or the like gets it down to $5 or less I'll pick it up (which for most other GBA games is not the case).

I am on board with the Nintencats.

I bought my step daughter Catz DS for Christmas and I hated doing it because I knew it was going to be a waste of money. But all she asked for from Santa Claus was a cat game for her Nintendo DS (she has Nintendogs and she loves it but we are really a cat family). I couldn't let her down, she asked SANTA for it!!

A Nintencats game would be soo easy. It wouldnt even utilize the touch screen cos no matter what you did, the cat would just ignore you.

I think Nintendo wont make it cos the primary purpose of a cats life seems to be making you look as its asshole as much as possible.

Although they could include a rumble cart with it to simulate purrring.

And thats coming from the owner of 2 cats.

[quote name='Puffa469']A Nintencats game would be soo easy. It wouldnt even utilize the touch screen cos no matter what you did, the cat would just ignore you.

I think Nintendo wont make it cos the primary purpose of a cats life seems to be making you look as its asshole as much as possible.

Although they could include a rumble cart with it to simulate purrring.

And thats coming from the owner of 2 cats.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:. Well, certainly it would be more of a challenge to make a game out of it. The key things would be very realistic feline movement and activities (and not just copy/modify the Nintendogs ones). I've got two kittens (Peach and Daisy BTW) that are running around me right now getting into all sorts of trouble. Peach likes to ride around on my shoulder while I do stuff. They can certainly do more than ignore you ;). I even had a cat that used to play fetch quite consistently.

Certainly you could have a full array of cat toys they would interact with just like in Nintendogs. The big difference would be the going for walks/dog show aspects. They'd have to substitute something else for those parts.

[quote name='io']I even had a cat that used to play fetch quite consistently.
[/quote]

My cat plays fetch too!

[quote name='ADGirl']My cat plays fetch too![/quote]

Mine used to play fetch with those little super bounce balls. Now she'll just watch the ball roll by, shake her head and go back to sleep :whistle2:?.

[quote name='io'] stuff. They can certainly do more than ignore you ;). I even had a cat that used to play fetch quite consistently.[/quote]

My black cat used to fetch milk bottle caps it was cute i'd throw it across the the room and she'd get it.

I'm not too much of a fan of catz hamsterz seems ok maybe if it went on sale for $5 i'd get it.

[quote name='io'] Certainly you could have a full array of cat toys they would interact with just like in Nintendogs. The big difference would be the going for walks/dog show aspects. They'd have to substitute something else for those parts.[/quote]

There are cat shows, so they could keep that aspect.

Maybe it could be like Pokemon. You have to catch a bunch of cats.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']why didnt' anyone get Hamsterz Life???? it's most arguably the most well rounded and fleshed out of them... mainly due to the speaking feature.[/QUOTE]

I saw it at Kmart tonight. Does that count? ;) I'll get it when it hits clearance level alpha ($5 or less).

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']why didnt' anyone get Hamsterz Life???? it's most arguably the most well rounded and fleshed out of them... mainly due to the speaking feature.[/quote]

I didn't know about it until this thread. It's on my pickup list now, so as soon as I see it for a cheap-ass price, I'll get it.

bread's done
Back