Doing things the hard way - Gaming Edition

daphatty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
We've all done it at least once. Challenged ourselves to complete some ridiculously difficult task in a game. So I ask you, what was the most difficult feat you've accomplished in a video game?

I'll start off.

Metal Gear Solid - Defeated Sniper Wolf WITHOUT Diazapham (sp?). Mind you, I didn't do this on purpose. I was a tester for Sony at the time and didn't realize that taking the Diazapham would steady my aim. It took me over two hours to defeat that bitch... Ugh...

Resident Evil 1 (original PS1 version) complete playthrough without saving/dying.

I've done that more than once actually.

Ghouls N' Ghosts in the arcade without continuing. Yes, I did go through the game twice and beat the "real" boss. It took around a year of playing the game nearly daily at the Boardwalk arcade in San Diego. I used to get a soda from the snack bar, grab a stool and park myself in front of that machine for 1-2 hours, 3 or 4 days a week.

[quote name='daphatty']

Metal Gear Solid - Defeated Sniper Wolf WITHOUT Diazapham (sp?). Mind you, I didn't do this on purpose. I was a tester for Sony at the time and didn't realize that taking the Diazapham would steady my aim. It took me over two hours to defeat beat that bitch... Ugh...[/QUOTE]
You thought that was difficult? Seriously?

Actually playing all the way through Final Fantasy VIII was the toughest thing I ever did...

This was incidental since I didn't know how to level in odin sphere, but I took on Odin with my Gwendolyn being level 5. I think it took me about 4 hours, I have no idea why I couldn't stop.

Beat Metal Gear Solid 3 on Hard without being spotted or killing anyone to get stealth camoflage.
The part at the very end where you have to guide Eva through the forest is insanely tricky.

My brother tried to beat Final Fantasy VI on SNES with only the people that you're required to get on your team. I think it ends up being Celes, Edgar, and Setzer, so you have to beat each "stage" of the final boss with only one person. I don't remember if he actually succeeded though. (this was way back when the game was still fairly new.)

[quote name='Puffa469']I've beaten NES Contra on one life.[/quote]

I play Contra on 'Limited ammo LOL mode' which is just playing through where every shot has to connect to an enemy. If you waste a bullet or die you have to start the whole game over. I've made it through Contra, Super C and Contra III that way but I just can't do it on the PS2 Contras. Believe me, I've tried.

[quote name='peteloaf']I beat the original Quake on Nightmare without dying & beat the first stage of Quake with my monitor off.[/QUOTE]

Way back in Nintendo Power, they had little bios about the Nintendo Game Counselors. In these bios they would mention their proudest gaming moment. I'll never forget that one guys proudest moment was beating Ninja Gaiden with his eyes closed. Nuts.

[quote name='peteloaf']I beat the original Quake on Nightmare without dying & beat the first stage of Quake with my monitor off.[/quote]
Awesome!

The first gaming greatness thing I ever did was waaaay back when as a little kid, I played Activision's 'Laserblast' and maxed out the score. My mom took a picture of the TV screen, and I mailed it to Activision. 2 months later I got this!!! :D

LaserBlast.jpg

Mine would probably be beating Omega Weapon in FFVIII.

When I was a kid, I got up to level 99 in the 2600 version of Mario Bros in a single session. The game just kept on going after that, but I think the level numbers either stayed the same or became garbled pixels.

Beating Yiazmat in Final Fantasy XII - that was just stupid. I'll likely never bother with any of the "special" bosses in another FF game, because it was needlessly long. Ended up taking around four hours total. Just brutal.

Also, and this one's my personal favorite - beating NES Contra with the NES Advantage joystick, using my feet. My Mom was even there as a "witness", since we didn't have a videocamera when I was young, so I wanted to have someone to confirm that I actually did it. I beat the last boss with one life to spare! Nowadays I can only get to the end of the third level this way. I think I was eight years old at the time. I've also finished Super Mario Bros and Final Fantasy this way. Although Final Fantasy wasn't really a challenge, since there's no real time limit or anything. It's neat to be able to eat a bowl of soup while playing a game, though!! ;)

I played through almost all of fallout 2 without firing a single shot or talking my way out of trouble. I've beaten that game at least 10 times..

beating the entire halo trilogy on Legendary, then beating halo 3 with all the skulls turned on on legendary then beating the whole trilogy using only melees. Can you tell what series i was addicted to? if you said legend of zelda you are right! because i also spent a month beating every zelda game(minus the CD-i) before twilight princess came out.

Beat Code: Veronica without saving on Dreamcast other than the required save you have when you switch to disc 2.

Beat Eternal Darkness 3 times in a row when it first came out to get the "real" ending.

Started a game of FF8 without using junctions, kept dying at the President and stopped.

My first time through FF8, I got every character up to level 99 because I was a fucking moron and 11 years old. Of course, I did all the secrets as well.

I usually don't do anything too fancy with the games I play. However, recently I picked up the GBA version of Super Mario World and beat every stage, including all the special words, with Luigi and just let Mario sit this one out.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']

Beat Eternal Darkness 3 times in a row when it first came out to get the "real" ending.
[/quote]

There's a 'real' ending? I'm going to have to check that out.

As for the OP, I know this isn't difficult but finishing FFXII took a huge amount of effort. The last third was a huge slog. I just felt like I had to do it because I've always finished FF games.

Beat all of the fighters in Super Punch-Out!! in less than half the amount of time I originally clocked in at.

Piston Hurricane and Bear Hugger in less than 10 seconds, if I remember correctly.

bread's done
Back