Domestic vs Imported Systems?

Skv012a

CAGiversary!
Lets see how much taste and dedication you guys have:
Do you import your PSPs to get your fave/exclusive colors, have the satisfaction of a JP system, etc?

Or do you just hit up Best Buy and grab the black core because its easier and faster?

I'm actually looking to import a Rose Pink system, depending on the price. Can't get those women-y colours here for the wife, so...

I had a few concerns with the TV-Out function and firmware. I already know a JAP system won't play UMD movies from this region, but whatever really. What I really want to know is 1) Can I use NA firmwares to update it, or will it bust something? 2) Does the TV-Out support NTSC? I'm still not 100% sure if JAP systems use PAL or NTSC...

Help would be appreciated!

As far as movie region lock, just put the [I can't discuss it here] firmware and you'll be set. Also, look @ dealextreme if they have pink shells for sale. Importing should be about 200 shipped these days which is MUCH better than the 250 it used to be on play-asia.

I have a Japanese system but that's because my fiance was working in Japan when the PSP launched and so he got it. This was before we met. I don't care about UMD movies so it works for me.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']I'm actually looking to import a Rose Pink system, depending on the price. Can't get those women-y colours here for the wife, so...

I had a few concerns with the TV-Out function and firmware. I already know a JAP system won't play UMD movies from this region, but whatever really. What I really want to know is 1) Can I use NA firmwares to update it, or will it bust something? 2) Does the TV-Out support NTSC? I'm still not 100% sure if JAP systems use PAL or NTSC...

Help would be appreciated![/quote]

Try ebay. I know that if you have an MSN live account that ebay is once again running their MSN Live cashback promo, which right now is 12% cashback on purchases. You just need to look for the cashback symbol and its on Buy It Now items only. I'm about to buy mine that way as well.

I picked up the piano black one at Wal-Mart when it first released, but sold it and imported the white version once it became available. It's the old PSP-1000 model, however it still works fine and I think there is only 1 or 2 dead pixel that aren't even noticable.

Nice. I started out with ceramic, sold; then got mgs limited; then 2000LP, had to sell; temporary 2000IS from US, sold; then 2000MG + FB faceplate. Now on top of my 2 I'm getting 2x 3000 gundam vs limiteds @ JP retail.

Thanks for the answers. I was aware of the [unspeakable] firmwares, just wondering if I could upgrade it with the NA firmwares. It's also good to know they output NTSC.

I was thinking of a shell/faceplate, but it's the labour involved that makes me shy away from this option. I'm afraid of breaking something, and I'm the type that isn't afraid to take apart stuff and repair it.
My friend is serving in Afghanistan, and he shops at the foreign PX's. That's where he saw a Pink PSP. I'm just waiting for him to tell me how much it is, so that'll save me on shipping.
Funny story, he bought his second PSP-1000 at a PX in Afghanistan. He said it cost him $150.
Want access to a PSP fat? Just join the military! :lol:

Labor? DS is labor, PSP is like solving a 9 piece jigsaw puzzle. GOOD systems are designed by SMART people and thus disassemble with ease(save Torx T2 for import slims, but thats just a matter of owning one). DS is the most horrible piece of hardware ever known to man when it comes to labor.

Faceplates are like 6 screws out, switch, 6 screws in. Nothing else is disassembled.

It doesnt matter what FW you use to update with, but I prefer to use JP ones in the unspeakable just to stick true to my system's origin.

[quote name='Skv012a']What did PA charge you? I remember them adding 200$ to EVERY limited.[/quote]

I think it was like 350-ish for the Crisis Core PSP. The Dissidia PSP with the Dissidia game was around 280 from a toy store in Ginza because we had a horrible exchange rate. Luckily I didn't have to pay tax.

[quote name='Skv012a']Labor? DS is labor, PSP is like solving a 9 piece jigsaw puzzle.[/quote]

Oh wow, I heard it was difficult, but I've never looked into it too closely. If it's not to hard, I might consider that if the Rose import falls through.

Got aim/msn/whatever? PM me and I'll hit you up, 'hu8u. I'm not a big fan of electronic mods, but swapping is a regular procedure for me with anything. On the DS, it cost me the power twig and top screen to master that sonuva.

bread's done
Back