Donkey Kong 64

crunchewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
I picked up a Nintendo 64 that we gave to our kids (and me!) for xmas and we love it. Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Kirby, etc. A bunch of good games. One of the games I got for it, however, was Donkey Kong 64. Am I missing something, or does this game suck royally? I played for about an hour last night and most of the time I was just wandering around aimlessly trying to figure out what the heck I was suppose to be doing. Then I'd make a little progress (I think!), only to end up wandering around again. Then, for example, I'd see that if I went up a tree there were some vines to jump between, only to end up at another dead end (well, there'd be something I could do later, but not now). So back to the wandering around again. An hour of this was more than enough.

Does this game get any better? What in the heck am I suppose to be doing once I get into the first area. Or at least I think it's the first area - I had to "pay" one banana to go through the door - is that the first area, or is that just some small area with shops and such? If that's not the first area, where is it??? I find the game terribly unclear. Also the camera absolutely sucks. Most of the time I'm moving I have to move the camera too in order to see where I'm going. The camera isn't so bad in Super Mario 64, but this game... OUCH. That and the aimless wandering made me long for 16-bits again.

I don't remember finding it confusing, and I did enjoy it when it came out.

My guess is that I would no longer like it nearly as much. Exploration platformers (which includes Mario 64 to a certain extent, as well) aren't my personal cup of tea. I much prefer the tough jumping that really attracted me to the 2-D genre. That's something I see more of in Super Mario Galaxy and shades of in Super Mario Sunshine.

The game wasn't very good in my opinion. It paled in comparison to any of the three Donkey Kong Country games.

I was so pumped for this game when I was a kid because I LOVED the old Donkey Kong in arcades and really liked Donkey Kong Country. Too bad DK64 became a collect a thon and was really just a mediocre experience all around. :/

I'm sure she knows how to use Gamefaqs :roll:

I've played it through once and a half. The first time I remember absolutely LOVING it. It had its flaws but I was just glad that something like that came out for N64. The second time I played it, it became too overwhelming. I already knew where everything was and realized just how much work was required. I stopped playing through it.

The problem is that some of the worlds are hard to get to on the overworld map. Most of the worlds are interesting (I didn't like the factory though). I think the game opens up a lot more when you unlock every character. I never finished the game because of this stupid reason:

you have to reach a certain height level on the arcade Donkey Kong and beat Jetman before you have a chance to beat the game.

The graphics were good at the time it came out. Also, multiple playable characters...

But

The game design is flawed. It involves collecting and COLLECTING. I believe you had to use Donkey Kong to collect 100 yellow bananas in each level (which is painful to scour every nook and cranny to find each one), and it doesn't end there!

You have to go back and collect 100 bananas with each character (and they are all hidden differently for each character as well)! So you end up looking for orange, red, blue....etc.. bananas into you find every last one.

Go with Conker's Bad Fur Day, a much better Nintendo/RARE game.

Oh year it does have a playable version of the Donkey Kong Arcade Game...IMO...a much better game.

I don't remember being lost in the game either. Though, I think I played it 3-4 years ago (when I got my first N64).

Really, I enjoyed the game. Now, it was a collectathon far and beyond most games (maybe the Banjo games were as bad, but Mario wasn't nearly as bad of an offender as DK64). If you accept the premise, it isn't a bad game. But, fi you aren't willing to collect and collect and go through the same levels, doing the same thing with different characters, it isn't for you.

Have you tried gamefaqs to see where you are suppose to go?

I liked it a lot, but then I like the 3D Rare collectathon games (Banjo and Banjo Tooie as well). The multiple playable characters with different abilities was pretty cool.

That said, I tried to play it again a couple of years ago and was totally unable to; it did not age well. On the other hand, I just played through Mario 64 again and it aged very well.

[quote name='Backlash']I liked it a lot, but then I like the 3D Rare collectathon games (Banjo and Banjo Tooie as well). The multiple playable characters with different abilities was pretty cool.

That said, I tried to play it again a couple of years ago and was totally unable to; it did not age well. On the other hand, I just played through Mario 64 again and it aged very well.[/quote]

Yeah, Mario 64 is great. About Banjo Tooie - I've read that that game supports multiplayer play - is that for the main game or is it some sort of minigames? Or am I just wrong about that?

Question: how the hell do you save in this game? I picked this up used in 2003, played it briefly, couldn't figure out how to save, and never bothered with it again. Does it autosave? If it does then I guess my cartridge's battery must be busted.

[quote name='crunchewy']Yeah, Mario 64 is great. About Banjo Tooie - I've read that that game supports multiplayer play - is that for the main game or is it some sort of minigames? Or am I just wrong about that?[/quote]
Banjo Tooie has deathmatch and minigame multiplayer modes, but no co-op for the main game.

Makes me want to plug in the N64 and see how those games (DK64 & Banjo Tooie) have aged for me, as I really enjoyed both when I was younger. Too bad the Banjo games probably won't be released on the VC. Wrong demographic for the 360, as well.

Edit: Just took a look around and saw that they're actually working on a 360 Banjo-Kazooie game. I'll have to keep an eye on that one.

I don't remember getting lost but I do remember that DK64 was a complete disaster. Awful, awful, awful game. The Donkey Kong characters completely suck (except for DK himself), the collecting - I mean COLLECTING - was unbearable and it offered NOTHING new from what we had already seen in Mario 64 (and the far superior Banjo-Kazooie made by Rare). The release of this game is the point in time when Rare died, IMO. Too bad they continued on to make Star Fox Adventures (the worst game of all time).

The game plays like it's extending all of your inputs, the game is ugly and poorly rendered.

The game is poorly conceived and poorly executed.

The game rewards 100% collection with positively nothing of value (A big, shiny banana).

The final boss features 5 stages of increasing difficulty, and after a few months of sporadically trying to pass it after collecting every single thing in the game my game got erased.

I came back to it years later and honestly could not play it.

Terrible.

When this game came out it was great looking, It had anew and fresh feel to it. THis is the game that cemented RARE as the "collection" kings I loved this game when it was new. I had played this game about 2 years ago . I got about half way though again in about 2 days time. and haven't played since . the collect a thon just got old. I still have the vioce of donkey kong stuck in my head of him saying BONNANNAHH. when he gets the hoard

Loved it so much I would play it till after 3 in the morning. I gave up on it once I got to K rools pad and they give you that hour time limit sequence. The camera was just toom much for me at that point and I didn't like the fact that there was an hour long sequence. I might buy it again on the wii but that part still haunts me.

bread's done
Back