http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6EkmJdE4PU

Platform: Wii™
Launch Date: November 21, 2010
ESRB: E
Game Type: 2-D Platformer
Players: 1-2
Developer: Retro Studios

General Information:

A New Country for Old Friends! Controlled by a group of evil Tikis, the animals in Donkey Kong Island have raided Donkey Kong’s Banana Hoard and stolen his stash of bananas – and he understandably wants them back. Retro Studios brings Donkey Kong™ back in a new side-scrolling adventure with familiar characters and new levels that reignite the passion players had for the Super NES™ original.

FEATURES:

• Retro Studios faithfully restores everything that made the original series great, from barrel cannons to mine carts, and then builds on those elements with stunning graphics and new layers of depth to the world and game play. The game offers the traditional side-scrolling experience everyone loved, but with levels created in fully rendered 3-D environments.

• Diddy Kong™ joins the quest. With his trusty backpack, he can produce a jet pack or Peanut Pop Guns to give Donkey Kong more abilities.

• For the first time ever, the franchise features the ability for two people to play together at the same time – one as Donkey Kong, one as Diddy Kong. Players can navigate the levels separately or as one unit. Diddy Kong can ride on Donkey Kong’s back and hop off whenever he pleases, allowing novice players to ride on Donkey Kong’s back through more challenging areas of the game.*

• Hidden items, puzzle pieces and other surprises are found all through the jungle. Spell out K-O-N-G by the end of each level to earn an extra bonus.

• Motion controls give players a real feeling of control. Players move Donkey Kong using the Control Stick on the Nunchuk™ controller and can shake the Wii Remote™ controller to make Donkey Kong slap the ground.

• Vibrant colors, beautiful graphics and fun characters draw players in. Even people who have never played a Donkey Kong game before can pick up a controller and start collecting loads of bananas.

• Every level offers new fun and new challenges. Sometimes Donkey Kong is running through the jungle, sometimes his action takes place on a tropical beach and other times he must become a master of timing as he jumps chasms in a mine cart.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a HUGE grin on my face as soon as I heard the music and realized it was a new Donkey Kong game. The grin became even bigger as I learned it was a 2D platform game very similar to the SNES DKC games.

Hopefully other characters like Dixie and Cranky Kong make an appearance in some form.

I also love how this will be a co-op game. Hopefully it will include online play as well (I doubt it though :()

Ananag, first, I wanna say great job on these threads.

And yeah, I was whooping it up when I saw the trailer for this. I have some fond memories of playing Donkey Kong Country, and I'm really looking forward to returning to that franchise.

I'm amazed at how much 2D love was at the conference.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']Damn dude, you were fast to make these topics, but yes, it looks fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am sorry for making all these threads. A lot of information was spilling out and I wanted it all to be organized a bit instead of it all being in the E3 thread.

This game looks fantastic, yes, but I have to say again, Kirby is tops, at least for me. This game looks great, but gameplay wise it appears pretty similar to the originals. Just not as much creativity on display as compared to Kirby: An Epic Yarn. I wasn't really a massive fan of the originals and didn't finish any of them, so that this looks a lot like those games, just with better graphics/animation, gives me some degree of pause, but it's relative - don't get your panties in a bunch. :) Plus, I could easily be convinced of it's greatness. :)

[quote name='ananag112']Yeah, I am sorry for making all these threads. A lot of information was spilling out and I wanted it all to be organized a bit instead of it all being in the E3 thread.[/QUOTE]

It's nice to have some organized threads, rather than "ZOMG! DONKEY KONG HAZ R3SPAWNDZZZ!" as a thread title, with no info in the thread -- and this somehow becomes the fixed thread for the game.

The second the donkey kong music came on during the press conferences I freaked out. I've been waiting for a new donkey kong country for years.

This game literally brought tears to my eyes during the live Nintendo conference. I was on the verge of weeping like a little girl. Yes, it's been way too long since we've had a good 2D DKC game! The fact that Retro Studios is behind it makes it that much cooler even. The game OOZES style!

I am so fucking excited. I LOVE the SNES games. I've been saying forever that DK needs better treatment. More Kong, Less Donkey. We need the DK that was kicking the shit out of Koopas and Goombas in the Brawl video, not the bongo playing buffoon.

[quote name='ananag112']Yeah, I am sorry for making all these threads. A lot of information was spilling out and I wanted it all to be organized a bit instead of it all being in the E3 thread.[/QUOTE]
Don't be sorry, it's not a bad thing.

Returns is probably one of my top E3 games. I'm so exited for it.

This morning it occured to me: didn't Rare develop Donkey Kong Country? Wouldn't they own it in some part? I guess maybe since Donkey Kong is a franchise that really belongs to Nintendo (as opposed to Banjo Kazooie?), that Nintendo is able to just have another game made.

[quote name='utopianmachine']This morning it occured to me: didn't Rare develop Donkey Kong Country? Wouldn't they own it in some part? I guess maybe since Donkey Kong is a franchise that really belongs to Nintendo (as opposed to Banjo Kazooie?), that Nintendo is able to just have another game made.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo owns all intellectual rights relating to the Donkey Kong franchise.

It's the same reason why we're getting another Goldeneye game. Rare made it but the James Bond license was owned by another company (I think it was Midway then but it's Activision now).

[quote name='utopianmachine']This morning it occured to me: didn't Rare develop Donkey Kong Country? Wouldn't they own it in some part? I guess maybe since Donkey Kong is a franchise that really belongs to Nintendo (as opposed to Banjo Kazooie?), that Nintendo is able to just have another game made.[/QUOTE]

Well, all the Donkey Kong Country games are on the virtual console, I believe, unlike the Banjo Kazooie games.

I agree, of all the Wii game announcements at Nintendo's press conference, I'm most excited for DKC Returns. I have so many fond memories of making my way through all of the SNES Donkey Kong Country games. I can't wait. :)

To hell with Rare. They have been crap ever since Microsoft bought them out. Thank you Retro Studios. This is going to be my number 1 most anticipated game this year now. Yes, Donkey Kong Country Returns beats out Gran Turismo 5, Metroid Other M, Mafia II, Medal of Honor, Dragon Quest IX, Fable 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and any other game that will come out this year. That is how much I value nostalgia.

This is easly my most anticipated game at E3. I loved the Donkey Kong Country games so much and this looks like it's going to be a great adaption.

Hopefully they'll get David Wise to compose the soundtracks.

Now this is more like it! This and yarn kirby are looking very sharp but i hope they aren't going to be full retail games at 50 bucks. Wii games should be 30 bucks or less so i probably won't be playing these anytime soon.

[quote name='Mr. 420']Now this is more like it! This and yarn kirby are looking very sharp but i hope they aren't going to be full retail games at 50 bucks. Wii games should be 30 bucks or less so i probably won't be playing these anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Wii Music retail at $50? If that game sold at $50, I think these 2D platformers will as well.

Throughout the late 90's I would diagram maps and design bosses for the 4th DK game. Needless to say, we've been waiting for this for a long time.

[quote name='nbballard']I think Wario:Shake retailed for $40.[/QUOTE]

Nope. MSRP was $49.99.

It would be nice though if they sold them at a discount, like the Touch Generations line for DS.

I don't think games require a discount just because they're sidescrollers. If they're unbelievably short then they should be cheaper, but why should these games, right off the bat without much information to go off of other than a demo, be discounted? Wii games in general are already $10 cheaper than 360/PS3 games.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of this new mindset where people seem to assume that 2D games should be cheaper. DKCR and K:EY likely took just as much time and development money as a 3D game, so why should they retail for less money?

It's just sort of symptomtic of the fact that since we've moved into 3D gaming, people in general seem to view 2D as outdated, which is a damn shame. I really don't understand why anyone would think these shouldn't be full-priced retail releases because they're sidescrollers. It's bizarre.

Bottom line is, if NSMBWii retailed for $50, so will these. Plus, like someone said, these are already cheaper than other consoles, so why do they need more of a discount?

[quote name='theflicker']Nope. MSRP was $49.99.

It would be nice though if they sold them at a discount, like the Touch Generations line for DS.[/QUOTE]

It was, however, one of the few Nintendo games to drop in price. It retails for $19.99 now, while twilight princess and galaxy are still 49.99

[quote name='007']Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of this new mindset where people seem to assume that 2D games should be cheaper. DKCR and K:EY likely took just as much time and development money as a 3D game, so why should they retail for less money?

It's just sort of symptomtic of the fact that since we've moved into 3D gaming, people in general seem to view 2D as outdated, which is a damn shame. I really don't understand why anyone would think these shouldn't be full-priced retail releases because they're sidescrollers. It's bizarre.

Bottom line is, if NSMBWii retailed for $50, so will these. Plus, like someone said, these are already cheaper than other consoles, so why do they need more of a discount?[/QUOTE]

I think the problem with the 2D games is the length. To go through all 8 worlds of NSMBW it takes roughly 6 hours. If you want every coin, it takes about 15.

Now Kirby games aren't known for unlockable levels, but they're known for being REALLY easy and REALLY short. While Kirby's Epic Yarn looks amazing, if people find out it's only 3 hours long, it's going to tank.

Donkey Kong Country on the other hand has a history for finding all these hidden rooms and exits for a meaningless percentage grade at the end. I'm guessing DKCR will have something more meaningful at the end of the tunnel, but overall I'm guessing it'll be longer than Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Which game am I looking forward to more? Probably Kirby because I want to see how crazy they go with it. But if it's normal Kirby game length, I'm not going to buy it.

[quote name='KingBroly']Now Kirby games aren't known for unlockable levels, but they're known for being REALLY easy and REALLY short. While Kirby's Epic Yarn looks amazing, if people find out it's only 3 hours long, it's going to tank.[/QUOTE]

I think it would tank with the folks that play 3 hours a day, but for those of use who struggle to fit an hour in, and have multiple games on their palate, a 3 hour game may actually be a good thing. It takes me so long to finish most games that usually I get bored with them, or at least get distracted by other games, before I ever finish them. For example I really enjoyed Wario Land Shake It and think it was just about the ideal length. In fact Wario Land Shake It may be the only game, other then The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Minish Cap, that I've actually finished! And, iMHO, both of those Zelda games were too long (especially Minish Cap). My point here is that not everyone wants games that last 15+ hours. Some of us want a chance to actually finish a game, and then move onto something else.

I rather have six hours of some of the best damn 2D platforming for $50 then spending the same amount of money for a average FPS that is twice as long.

I'll be buying this and Kirby day one :)

A Boy and His Blob, Muramasa, Wario Land Shake It, and NSMBW are better games by far than 90% of the crap on the market on any console.

[quote name='SpazX']I don't think games require a discount just because they're sidescrollers. If they're unbelievably short then they should be cheaper, but why should these games, right off the bat without much information to go off of other than a demo, be discounted? Wii games in general are already $10 cheaper than 360/PS3 games.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. Value is subjective. I sunk 50 hours into Dragon Age, and 30 hours into Mass Effect 2. Both are RPG's and the same price at release, yet I don't think one is a better value than the other.

I'm glad Wii games are already $10 cheaper, but I wonder if that gives off the vibe that Wii games are an inferior product to their HD counterparts.

Donkey will probably be worth close to 50 but yarn kirby probably will be too easy and short to justify more than 30 bucks. I have 30 ps3 games and i got about 15 of them for 15 bucks or less and about 10 at 30 bucks or less. The only game i payed 60 for was killzone 2 and gta 4 and that was because i had a 100 dollar gift card to burn each time and i wanted to see what the fuss was about. So if i bought 25 ps3 games for less than 30 bucks each why would i pay 50 for yarn kirby or donkey kong when i still have diddy kongs quest to beat and dk junglebeat?

[quote name='KingBroly']Now Kirby games aren't known for unlockable levels, but they're known for being REALLY easy and REALLY short. While Kirby's Epic Yarn looks amazing, if people find out it's only 3 hours long, it's going to tank.[/QUOTE]

It's funny because I spent a TON of time playing Kirby's Adventure on the NES to get it to 100%. I think there was one secret room on one of the airship levels that I failed to go into that kept me from completely beating that game.

The Great Cave Offensive game in Kirby Super Star is another example of extended gameplay through collect quests. I still haven't beaten that one 100%.

Anyway, my point is that for myself, Kirby has a decent history of providing large amounts of gameplay.

[quote name='Mr. 420']So if i bought 25 ps3 games for less than 30 bucks each why would i pay 50 for yarn kirby or donkey kong when i still have diddy kongs quest to beat and dk junglebeat?[/QUOTE]

I guess you wouldn't, but I don't think Nintendo prices their games with respect to your backlog.

As excited as i am for this.... am I the only one who misses the awesome graphics of the original DKCs? I don't care if they were prerendered or whatever have you, I think the originals look 10 times better than this one does. And considering that this one is being released 15 years later, that's a HUGE knock against it, imo.

Then again, I haven't played the old versions in a while, but I really remember them being so much more detailed than Returns.

[quote name='Chronis']As excited as i am for this.... am I the only one who misses the awesome graphics of the original DKCs? I don't care if they were prerendered or whatever have you, I think the originals look 10 times better than this one does. And considering that this one is being released 15 years later, that's a HUGE knock against it, imo.

Then again, I haven't played the old versions in a while, but I really remember them being so much more detailed than Returns.[/QUOTE]

The graphics for DKC have not held up well at all. It looks really pixelated now.

[quote name='KingBroly']The graphics for DKC have not held up well at all. It looks really pixelated now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was about to say - if you've played DKC on virtual console you probably wouldn't say that, they're all pre-rendered at a hilariously low resolution for today's TVs. They could have pre-rendered them at 480p rather than doing it the way they did for returns, but it probably actually takes more time to do it that way. I like the way it looks anyway.

The only time I jumped off my seat during E3 was when this trailer started up during Nintendo's press conference. Man I LOVE me some DKC, never thought a new one would arrive honestly, just thought it had been too long. But ALAS Nintendo never lets me down (okay maybe sometimes :D).

I couldn't sleep last night, so I was up watching TV. As I was flipping through the channels I came upon Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Reggie was on for a short segment playing DKC Returns on this huge screen with Fallon. He also whipped out a 3DS and Fallon played around with it a bit. I thought it was interesting that Nintendo was featuring their products on a late night talk show.

Anybody else see this?

[quote name='KingBroly']The graphics for DKC have not held up well at all. It looks really pixelated now.[/QUOTE]
I've been resisting the Troll for nearly a month, and this as much of an opportunity to jump in as I'll get.

Rare kongs will forever lick balls, and DKC is kong-branded trash. fuck them and their in-your-face, fresh 'tudes in their monkey asses.

That first level is epic.

The originals are classics in their own way, particularly the first (bought them all over again on VC too), but it's easy to get sick of Rare's punitive design tendencies. Obviously some people LIKE passing three levels and then being forced to replay them all over again because you spend twenty lives trying to jump some silly gap towards the end of a level, but after the three SNES games, that whole masochistic thing got old. Rare came from the old arcade "pump another quarter in the box" tradition, so it's hard to fault them too much, but Wii remotes are expensive. No sense in making us throw them against our walls.

I was 9 when the first came out and I didn't find it too frustrating. I don't think the three games were that hard at all. They were a blast and I still like playing them today.

If anything this one should be markedly easier than the old DKCs. Regardless, if I buy a Wii this holiday it's fa dis game.

bread's done
Back