Don't buy Portal 2 on PS3, take the PC code out, and then trade it in.

Das_Regal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
113 (100%)
You'll be screwed if you do. You need to use the disc to link your PSNID and Steam account and it can only be done via the PS3 Portal 2 interface. If you don't have a linked steam account it won't accept the code.

Learn from my mistake.

Or... rent it day 1, get home, put disc in, link accounts, use code, have Portal 2 on Steam for the price of a rental.

[quote name='orbit18']Do you need a special code to link the accounts, or is it all done through the ingame menu's with no code?[/QUOTE]
It's done via a code that comes in the PS3 game case. You need to link your PSN account with your Steam account, first. Once you've done that, you go to your Steam account and enter the code in.

Think some people had it in their heads that all they needed was the code and not the PS3 version. Quite a few non-PS3 owners either had a friend give them the code or in some other manner and thought they simply had to enter the code into Steam.

[quote name='bmachine']Or you could just buy it to support the developers, thus ensuring their ability to continue making good games.[/QUOTE]

*shrug* buying it/trading it in is buying it, developer got their money. Renting it from somewhere also gets them money, as the store had to buy it. Plus, first-come first-serve on the unlock codes. Someone is going to use them, so eh.

[quote name='bmachine']Or you could just buy it to support the developers, thus ensuring their ability to continue making good games.[/QUOTE]

buy???????

Maybe I'm the only one who did this...

Pre-ordered at Amazon for PS3, got it for $55 w/ a $20 credit. Traded it in for $35, so effectively $0 and now have the PC/Mac version.

However, I also ordered the 360 version on another Amazon account so I could get it for $55 w/ a $20 credit. At least now I can play it on my PC/Mac and 360 with friends all for $35 total :applause:

Once you buy it, they have your money. Doesn't matter what you do with it afterwards.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']I'm pretty sure if you return a game that you bought it marks against them in some way. Just seems like how it would be. . .[/QUOTE]

Trading a game in isn't returning it... and I don't know of many stores that take back open games for anything other than an exchange, so you can't really return one.

i got portal 2 ps3 on amazon for 54.99 no tax free ship. link accounts, and used pc code
20 dollar credit for preorder
and traded it in to amazon for 35.00
i made a cent on it haha

[quote name='basilofbkrst']I'm pretty sure if you return a game that you bought it marks against them in some way. Just seems like how it would be. . .[/QUOTE]

Gamestop made most of their money on games that were traded in. You trade in a game you get credit not dollars. That credit can only be used at the store you traded it in at. The store just guaranteed you will be back spending more money and if for some reason you don't spend the credit you just gave them a game for free. Then they are going to turn around and sell that game for a few dollars less than a new game. The amount of money they make from selling used games is more than double the amount from selling new games.

bread's done
Back