DON'T get that DVD/Blu-ray/CD yet, it's going to have a BETTER version soon thread

SuperJedi

CAGiversary!
Not sure if there is a thread like this already, but I DO think it's important we have a thread here for this purpose, so we all don't get double-dipped because we are not aware of another version coming out.

So, what titles are going to get a new versions?

to chime in on Gladiator, I'm a huge fan of the film, I got the blu-ray for $10 on Black Friday, and I say it's worth the $10 I paid. The transfer is definitely below-average for blu-ray, but it's the still, IMO, the best home experience possible.

anyway i'm still hopeful for a new transfer and re-release (and trade-in haha), but if it doesn't happen, i can live with it.

[quote name='exRounder']For those interested, the Park Chan-Wook's Vengeance trilogy will indeed be out on BD in March 2010. I'll find a link later but this info was apparently sent by Tartan in their newsletter; they held off on the release of the DVD Box Set to coincide with the BD one. How considerate![/QUOTE]

Already sold my Oldboy blu in preparation! Now if we could just get The Good, The Bad, and The Weird I'd be happy. Also I'm a Cyborg would be nice too.

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']Already sold my Oldboy blu in preparation! Now if we could just get The Good, The Bad, and The Weird I'd be happy. Also I'm a Cyborg would be nice too.[/QUOTE]

I think Magnolia bought the US rights but I haven't even seen them theatrically release GBW here, which is a shame. However, I believe there is a BD release with English subs from S. Korea, and I think it is Region A. A bit pricey but that's the only option I'm seeing anytime soon.

Now to get bloody Focus to put Thirst on BD!

[quote name='SuperJedi']So, it has so far not yet confirmed right?

I mean if not I am just going to open this new one I bought just for $15... and if it's not yet announced, it's hard to say when a NEW edition will even come out. In 2 years?[/QUOTE]

I think you ought to just buy this one, because it's not going to happen anytime soon. At least 2 years down the road, after all the movies have come out AND then after the last movie sells through its regular release window.

At $15 why bother waiting a few years? It's not like this isn't affordable, especially for a BD.

I am a huge fan of the first two Robocop films. I had the trilogy pack, which included the extended cut scenes from the first film that would have put it past the "R" rating.

My trilogy pack was lent out to a friend and then mysteriously vanished.

I picked up the Robocop blu-ray at Wal-Mart for $10, and it doesn't list anything special on the back, but when I watched it, those extended scenes are included in the film, so you can watch them as they were meant to be seen in the movie.

I was pretty excited about this! But as for other "special features", there's nothing to note. I'm wondering if anyone knows about a trilogy pack for blu-ray coming out, or a better version? (Mind you, I'm happy for now with my extended violence.)

[quote name='exRounder']For those interested, the Park Chan-Wook's Vengeance trilogy will indeed be out on BD in March 2010. I'll find a link later but this info was apparently sent by Tartan in their newsletter; they held off on the release of the DVD Box Set to coincide with the BD one. How considerate![/QUOTE]

Awesome news. Will definitely keep an eye out for this one.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Gladiator is a terrible transfer.[/QUOTE]

if by terrible you mean we cant see the arrows fly in that one scene at a certain angle when they are at a certain trajectory and you are no more than 3.51ft from the screen and your tv set is set to no duller than 54% brightness and the room temperature is above 60F and you currently arent sipping on a soda...

i can live with the transfer :roll:

i think there will be a new release of Live free or die hard coming on BD, the initial release was retarded and not the unrated version the dvd release got. theres a loooong list of differences i posted earlier somewhere on the forums.

the fact that the movie dropped from 25$ to like 9.50 makes me really hopeful for a rerelease. same thing happened to goodfellas.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']"The video quality of Braveheart on Blu-ray is... in a word... breathtaking"

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews083109.html#bra

Braveheart scored a 19/20
[/QUOTE]

I don't see what the fuss over the Braveheart BR is. I have it and I don't think the transfer is that good. It is well done in terms of color, conrast, grain, etc; however, it seems the movie really needs to be remastered. The screen is covered in artifacts that weren't removed. I was distracted a lot by the artifacts on screen.

[quote name='JolietJake']I hate the new cheap releases of the star trek movies. They seem to have next to no extras. The two disc versions that came out a few years back were the best IMO.
[/QUOTE]

The Blu-Rays have a ton of extras. For the most part, they're only missing the text commentaries (which are replaced by a new mode) and the director's cut versions of the films. They even have exclusive new featurettes.

I'm not saying you should get them (sometimes they go on sale for way cheap), but only the picture quality and lack of director's cuts really keep them from being great.

[quote name='postulio']if by terrible you mean we cant see the arrows fly in that one scene at a certain angle when they are at a certain trajectory and you are no more than 3.51ft from the screen and your tv set is set to no duller than 54% brightness and the room temperature is above 60F and you currently arent sipping on a soda...

i can live with the transfer :roll:[/QUOTE]

Its far more that just arrows buddy. The heavy digital noise removal (DNR) totally messes up with the skin tones and what not on the film. Its VERY obvious when you compare the theatrical footage next to the extended footage on the Blu-Ray. The extended footage didn't have the same DNR mess job done to it as the theatrical. Look at the picture I posted below. The lesser quality shots are the theatrical while the better quality shots are the extended.

gladiator-comparison.jpg

This above all else proves that the Gladiator Blu-Ray is nothing but epic fail. Its a completely unacceptable transfer. You can sit here and say "well they can remaster it later" or whatever but to me it should have been done right the first time. There's no excuse to this at all.

[quote name='ticalmc2k2']I don't see what the fuss over the Braveheart BR is. I have it and I don't think the transfer is that good. It is well done in terms of color, conrast, grain, etc; however, it seems the movie really needs to be remastered. The screen is covered in artifacts that weren't removed. I was distracted a lot by the artifacts on screen.[/QUOTE]

looool

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1173246

Amazon has a new version of Unforgiven (blu-ray) listed for a Feb 10, 2010 release. Considering that the first release got good PQ reviews, but lacked a HD soundtrack, I'm guessing this version will have it.

[quote name='aheineken']Amazon has a new version of Unforgiven (blu-ray) listed for a Feb 10, 2010 release. Considering that the first release got good PQ reviews, but lacked a HD soundtrack, I'm guessing this version will have it.[/QUOTE]

I guess that would explain why Amazon is selling the original BD for $9.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Its far more that just arrows buddy. The heavy digital noise removal (DNR) totally messes up with the skin tones and what not on the film. Its VERY obvious when you compare the theatrical footage next to the extended footage on the Blu-Ray. The extended footage didn't have the same DNR mess job done to it as the theatrical. Look at the picture I posted below. The lesser quality shots are the theatrical while the better quality shots are the extended.

gladiator-comparison.jpg

This above all else proves that the Gladiator Blu-Ray is nothing but epic fail. Its a completely unacceptable transfer. You can sit here and say "well they can remaster it later" or whatever but to me it should have been done right the first time. There's no excuse to this at all.[/QUOTE]

pardon my ignorance.

question: by extended do you mean the extended cut of the movie vs the theatrical cut? if both are included why not just was the extended cut?

also: please stop with the grammatically challenged 'fail' comments. they are so overdone and where never meant to sneak out of 4chan.

[quote name='Demolition Man']http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6711382.html?nid=4756&source=link&rid=5324033

Massive epic fail Warner.[/QUOTE]

you too.

[quote name='postulio']question: by extended do you mean the extended cut of the movie vs the theatrical cut?[/quote]

Yes I do.

if both are included why not just was the extended cut?

The extended cut only goes to the nicer looking footage for the added stuff. The rest of the time its using the same sloppy transfer.

also: please stop with the grammatically challenged 'fail' comments. they are so overdone and where never meant to sneak out of 4chan.

:baby:

Feeling hurt much that you are wrong?

[quote name='angrywolf']Goodfellas 20th Anniversary Edition is coming out early next year....[/QUOTE]
this thread is pure win

i shall read and review this thread later

[quote name='SuperJedi']What about Pandorum and Whiteout?[/QUOTE]

Considering both movies were box office flops AND received mostly bad reviews, I think you're safe buying now.

[quote name='dino88']Considering both movies were box office flops AND received mostly bad reviews, I think you're safe buying now.[/QUOTE]

Or save yourself some cash and buy them when they fall in price.

Pandorum was took too much from other Sci Fi stories before it. Also the ending was almost expected.

Rental? - Yes
$20 purchase? - No

I've read various reports on the quality of two of my favorite flicks: The Usual Suspects and Memento. Both have gotten only fair to disappointing transfers or overall blu-ray packages. I wonder how long until they re-release these?

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I've read various reports on the quality of two of my favorite flicks: The Usual Suspects and Memento. Both have gotten only fair to disappointing transfers or overall blu-ray packages. I wonder how long until they re-release these?[/QUOTE]

i for one would like a new edition of the memento BD with two discs like the limited edition dvd but with all the features in a quicker-to-navigate menu. i'd love to see the film in order in HD.

however, i have not heard any rumblings about memento so if you really, really want to watch it, for the price, it's not too bad, all things considered. also, the menu's pretty neat.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I've read various reports on the quality of two of my favorite flicks: The Usual Suspects and Memento. Both have gotten only fair to disappointing transfers or overall blu-ray packages. I wonder how long until they re-release these?[/QUOTE]

The video and audio of The Usual Suspects is supposed to be pretty good but disappointing in regards to extras. Still worth the $5 I picked it up for at Target and unless the new edition is far superior in terms of its transfer, I probably won't be rebuying this.

[quote name='equest943']Any chance of a Back to the Future trilogy on BD anytime soon? I would buy that in a heartbeat. I only have 3 BDs so far.[/QUOTE]

Universal better fucking include the BTTF: The Ride footage they put on last year's single BTTF DVD release on any :br: release

[quote name='shrike4242']Cars' double dip, which was just an audio upgrade, not really worth it.[/QUOTE]

What was the cars double dip?

I think blu-ray is a little too new for them to be doing this kind of double dipping. It's bad enough the blu-rays command a $5 premium but then to drop this kind of nonsense when a title might not be even 2 years old...

[quote name='h0mi']What was the cars double dip?

I think blu-ray is a little too new for them to be doing this kind of double dipping. It's bad enough the blu-rays command a $5 premium but then to drop this kind of nonsense when a title might not be even 2 years old...[/QUOTE]

I think it could be considered a double dip. Also, the upgraded audio would be enough for many people to upgrade.

[quote name='equest943']Any chance of a Back to the Future trilogy on BD anytime soon? I would buy that in a heartbeat. I only have 3 BDs so far.[/QUOTE]

yeah they are coming out this year.

[quote name='manthing']Universal better fucking include the BTTF: The Ride footage they put on last year's single BTTF DVD release on any :br: release[/QUOTE]

I wasn't even aware that there was a different release for BTTF besides the trilogy pack that's been out.

As for the ride footage , that's pretty neat , and I would agree with you about it being included , especially since that's the only way anyone will see that footage now with the ride being gone and all.

With BSG releasing individual seasons for this year, does anybody know if they're going to be releasing Season 4 in full, as in all 20 episodes on one single boxset release? Or rather are they going to go with a "4.0" release with just 10 eps and Razor to pair up to the 4.5 set already being out? Season 2 is announced for release in April, with the "2.5" season included on one single release, so I'm wondering if they'd go with a pattern like that for S4 coming out. Maybe they could even put The Plan on it? That'd be cool for completion's sake.

Basically I'm asking if anybody knows if the 4.5 BD will be totally unnecessary and obsolete by the time S4 releases.

[quote name='dg7md']With BSG releasing individual seasons for this year, does anybody know if they're going to be releasing Season 4 in full, as in all 20 episodes on one single boxset release? Or rather are they going to go with a "4.0" release with just 10 eps and Razor to pair up to the 4.5 set already being out? Season 2 is announced for release in April, with the "2.5" season included on one single release, so I'm wondering if they'd go with a pattern like that for S4 coming out. Maybe they could even put The Plan on it? That'd be cool for completion's sake.

Basically I'm asking if anybody knows if the 4.5 BD will be totally unnecessary and obsolete by the time S4 releases.[/QUOTE]

I think a good indicator would be if the season 4.5 BD goes out of print at some point. Then it would probably be likely that it is going to be included with the rest of season 4. That's just a hunch though, no concrete info to back it up.

Don't Buy: BSG the complete series

A new complete set is being released that includes "The Plan", has slimmer packaging, and will be released at a lower price point.

"Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series for release on April 6. The main change from the July 2009 edition (which is now discontinued) is that this new box set will include Battlestar Galactica: The Plan (released in October 2009). Additionally, it will come in slimmer packaging and the list price is lower.

Contents and special features are in principle identical to the corresponding discs in the previously-released editions."

Link to news

2nd News Source:
"Today we learned Universal intends to release a new complete series Battlestar set on Blu-ray April 6, the same day season two debuts on Blu-ray, that is not tagged as a limited edition. This set will include all four individually packaged season 1-4 box sets housed within a new outer case. The Plan will also be included and presumably Razor as well, though we cannot fully confirm the latter at this time.

This new Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series set will carry an SRP of $299.95 or $50 less than the previous set listed for. On-shelf pricing should settle in around the $200 mark."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='scottman']This thread is kind of useless, unless we keep an updated list in the first post or something.[/QUOTE]
Not useless at all. I've benefited from this thread. But I agree, a consolidated list would help.

bread's done
Back