Don't miss out on buying Valkyria Chronicles-Amazon

SpartenOmega117

CAGiversary!
Feedback
96 (100%)
There is large possibility that there will likely be no more shipments of this game. Gamestop, walmart, best buy, etc. are all out of stock.

I found one at amazon for $24.98 http://www.amazon.com/Valkyria-Chro..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295033665&sr=1-1

This game will also likely age well. If you buy a copy there is a good chance it will be worth a lot more in the future. The standard price of this game already jumped up by $5.

I should have bought this when it was $20 :(

Still making it through my backlog and I figured the price would keep dropping. Oh well, thanks for the warning. I decided to bite because I'm sure if I like it the $5 difference won't matter at all. Thanks OP.

just bought one for the sealed collection(i already tore the game a new asshole) just because OP's got me wanting to look at the box.

you can basically run through this whole game without killing anything.

got kinda retarded for me after i found that out.

i hope the psp is one is better(still too expensive right now).

[quote name='Byakurai']Quite true. I've still got a sealed copy nestled between an opened copy and two copies of White Knight Chronicles.[/QUOTE]

I've got 11,000 copies of Kinect Fighter's Uncaged. I'm actually a single line item on Ubisoft's quarterly report. Someday, those copies are going to be worth meeeeeelions!

[quote name='StripesOrBars']hmmm. .

amazon doesnt have it listed as discontinued(at the moment).

im gonna call BS.[/QUOTE]

it is BS...someone made the same topic last year, when it was $40, couple of morons (probably weaboos) fell for it and bought it

this game isnt going anywhere guys lol

Will wait for the PS6 re-mastered version, with "mind" support

images

[quote name='cRodz']i am playing it right now
it is pretty good.

I did that stage where you see the dessert.
[/QUOTE]

That was a delicious stage. Watch out for the whipped topping and you should be ok.

[quote name='StripesOrBars']just bought one for the sealed collection(i already tore the game a new asshole) just because OP's got me wanting to look at the box.

you can basically run through this whole game without killing anything.

got kinda retarded for me after i found that out.

i hope the psp is one is better(still too expensive right now).[/QUOTE]

Of course you are exaggerating about being able to just run through the game but that is big part of the game. Managing how much damage you can take in real time while running by someone and still making it to safety. A bunch of them you will be able to ignore, some you won't or can't. Personally I enjoyed that aspect of the game and thought it added to the strategy.

I have currently been playing the second one on PSP and it still has the same mechanics of running by weaker people to get the A rating on some missions but it also have missions where you need to kill everyone in the areas to win. You might enjoy those missions a lot more if you still want to get A rating and kill everyone.

[quote name='StripesOrBars']double BS on this.

(dragon quest v comes to mind, along with a bunch of other limited print DS and PSP games)

(trinity universe on PS3 could be too)

especially if theyre sealed(no brainer).[/QUOTE]

I don't know if this is as much BS as you make it out to be. We're dealing with a very different stage of the videogame industry and we need to think about the life cycles of these products and where else they're likely to show up in the future.

What I mean is that it's very possible that once PS4/Xbox 720 (or whatever) comes out, many if not all of the PS3/360 titles may be available via downloads. That's seriously going to depress demand and it's also likely to lead to a lot of people disposing their physical media, thus further decreasing demand.

We haven't seen PS2/Xbox software made available in large part because the console manufacturers didn't really conceive it a viable business option moving from the old to new systems. I doubt MS/Sony will make that mistake from the PS3 to the PS4 and Xbox 360 to 720. It's too big a market now to sacrifice and it'll be an expected service among the new adopters next-gen. Also, emulators probably won't be a big issue this time given the systems will be built to play older titles out of the box.

Sure, there will always be a price people will pay to have a tangible copy, but that's increasingly the minority. Publishers don't it that way. Developers get more access to direct sales by going online. No one on the creation side prefers the retail process over online.

These factors mean games this generation aren't going away as quickly -- gamers will be able to play them, and in the end, that's pretty much the killer with trying to make something rare/collectible.

We've seen the impact of reprints on once rare games. Titles like Fatal Frame 3, Mega Man X Collection, Ar Tonelico, MvC2, Puzzle Fighter -- all of these once sold for 2x, 3x, 4x their MSRP. Reprints, DL versions have brought them down to below MSRP.

The difference with this generation is that these games won't need to be reprinted to be available. They'll be DL packs come the next console life-cycle.

Rare games, IMHO, ended with the PS2/Xbx/GCN era. Few of the games from that generation could even be considered rare; the direction we're headed in now suggests companies will be better able to capitalize on consumer demand by ensuring players who'll pay at least close to MSRP can get it online in a heartbeat.

So, yeah, horde up on titles if you want. But if you really want to make money, you better think about selling your inventory when demand is there. I doubt demand for any game this generation will be high enough in the next round for any of these titles to sell for much more than what you paid. Count inflation, and in 8 out of 10 cases, you'll be losing money.

[quote name='kjay80']i am sure gamestop sells for 20 bucks...[/QUOTE]

They are sold out.
You guys might call this thread B.S. but realize that amazon does not even have this game in stock. An amazon seller is selling it for that price. Sites like buy.com do have this in stock but they are going for above $35. Hell the trade in price for this game at amazon jumped up. I guess you could buy a used copy but i dont think many people are trading these games in.

[quote name='KornKid91']Thanks for the heads up I guess, I've been wanting to play this one

also, how is the difficulty of the game, is their a good tutorial, I know absolutely nothing about SRPGS and generally don't care for them, but I wanted to give this game a chance because The art style is great and I heard the story is good[/QUOTE]

The game is pretty easy and has a good tutorial. I have never played a SRPG and I beat this one while probably losing 1 or 2 rounds in the entirty of the game . The game did last a hair over 24 hours which is a good deal. If you want to Get perfect ranks on every board there is replayability. If you like the demo you will enjoy the game. The story sucks and is mostly predictable, but you should really play for the game play. I didnt think the game was all that but was mad Sega released the sequel on PSP, so that means something.

Not to mention roms killing demand :/

my copy of earthbound, that I bought in 1996, would prolly be worth a shit ton more if it wasn't for the emulators.

[quote name='romeogbs19']I don't know if this is as much BS as you make it out to be. We're dealing with a very different stage of the videogame industry and we need to think about the life cycles of these products and where else they're likely to show up in the future.

What I mean is that it's very possible that once PS4/Xbox 720 (or whatever) comes out, many if not all of the PS3/360 titles may be available via downloads. That's seriously going to depress demand and it's also likely to lead to a lot of people disposing their physical media, thus further decreasing demand.

We haven't seen PS2/Xbox software made available in large part because the console manufacturers didn't really conceive it a viable business option moving from the old to new systems. I doubt MS/Sony will make that mistake from the PS3 to the PS4 and Xbox 360 to 720. It's too big a market now to sacrifice and it'll be an expected service among the new adopters next-gen. Also, emulators probably won't be a big issue this time given the systems will be built to play older titles out of the box.

Sure, there will always be a price people will pay to have a tangible copy, but that's increasingly the minority. Publishers don't it that way. Developers get more access to direct sales by going online. No one on the creation side prefers the retail process over online.

These factors mean games this generation aren't going away as quickly -- gamers will be able to play them, and in the end, that's pretty much the killer with trying to make something rare/collectible.

We've seen the impact of reprints on once rare games. Titles like Fatal Frame 3, Mega Man X Collection, Ar Tonelico, MvC2, Puzzle Fighter -- all of these once sold for 2x, 3x, 4x their MSRP. Reprints, DL versions have brought them down to below MSRP.

The difference with this generation is that these games won't need to be reprinted to be available. They'll be DL packs come the next console life-cycle.

Rare games, IMHO, ended with the PS2/Xbx/GCN era. Few of the games from that generation could even be considered rare; the direction we're headed in now suggests companies will be better able to capitalize on consumer demand by ensuring players who'll pay at least close to MSRP can get it online in a heartbeat.

So, yeah, horde up on titles if you want. But if you really want to make money, you better think about selling your inventory when demand is there. I doubt demand for any game this generation will be high enough in the next round for any of these titles to sell for much more than what you paid. Count inflation, and in 8 out of 10 cases, you'll be losing money.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']They are sold out.
You guys might call this thread B.S. but realize that amazon does not even have this game in stock. An amazon seller is selling it for that price. Sites like buy.com do have this in stock but they are going for above $35. Hell the trade in price for this game at amazon jumped up. I guess you could buy a used copy but i dont think many people are trading these games in.[/QUOTE]

According to their site GS has 4 locations with new copies in my area for $20 and 4 locations with it used.

This thread is a good read. Where's my popcorn eating smilie?

smiley-face-popcorn.gif

I got a pretty nice deal on this one, found it $19.99 last march-ish when Blockbuster was doing their b1g1. I paired it with God of War Collection.

This one is a tough one, I could see this game either dropping further or rising to about 35 and staying there.

I checked just about every place I ever buy or think about buying games from and it's either sold out or $30+, Unless you're lucky enough to be next to a gamestop that still has a new copy ( I would almost guarantee that it's a gutted "new" copy though). and even if you do with taxes you're only saving 2.50, and you'll probably spend more than 2.50 on gas to get there

I don't think that you are going to be able to find this for more than 5 cheaper unless you trade with someone

and seeing as VC 2 is already released and there's another sequel in the work makes me think that chances of re-prints are low, generally reprints done years after the games release are for games that haven't had recent releases in their series. For instance the first Phoenix Wright is currently 30 and will probably never drop.

I don't think the op was trying to imply this game is going to be rare I think he was suggesting that the MSRP might rise to $35 and stay there

Also the game has dropped 60 Cents

Last edited:
This is a great game. Pick it up for $25 and enjoy it. I paid full price and it's one of the few games I don't regret paying full price for. If you're not sure if you'll like it or not, play the demo. This game shouldn't be passed up for lack of trophies or resale concerns. This is a game you pick up and play.

[quote name='Lord_Zath']This is a great game. Pick it up for $25 and enjoy it. I paid full price and it's one of the few games I don't regret paying full price for. If you're not sure if you'll like it or not, play the demo. This game shouldn't be passed up for lack of trophies or resale concerns. This is a game you pick up and play.[/QUOTE]

IMO anyone that thinks a game is worth full price shouldn't be giving advice for others to buy that game since the suggestion is from a huge fan of the game, especially here on CAG where most people think no game is worth 60 dollars or at the very most one game every year or so that is their favorite but that won't be everyone's favorite. I'm still not sure because of the backlog and because it's an SRPG. I hate that genre.

[quote name='typical guy']IMO anyone that thinks a game is worth full price shouldn't be giving advice for others to buy that game since the suggestion is from a huge fan of the game, especially here on CAG where most people think no game is worth 60 dollars or at the very most one game every year or so that is their favorite but that won't be everyone's favorite. I'm still not sure because of the backlog and because it's an SRPG. I hate that genre.[/QUOTE]

No, he is just saying the game is good and well worth $25. Why can't someone say they like the game and doesn't regret the full price personally? It is relevant info for the thread and considering he has played the game it is informing opinion.

Also if you don't like SRPGs then I don't know why you are looking at this game. Of course it is slightly different than the run of the mill SRPG but still one at its heart. Try the demo or something. I, however, say only pick it up at $20 (possibly lower) because even though the game was worth way over $25 for me, I don't think it is going anywhere.

[quote name='typical guy']IMO anyone that thinks a game is worth full price shouldn't be giving advice for others to buy that game since the suggestion is from a huge fan of the game, especially here on CAG where most people think no game is worth 60 dollars or at the very most one game every year or so that is their favorite but that won't be everyone's favorite. I'm still not sure because of the backlog and because it's an SRPG. I hate that genre.[/QUOTE]

That seems unfair. People saying they think a game is worth full price, hopefully, are people that have had experience with them game. That experience has lead them to belief it is worth for price. I think I would rather listen to someone that has played it than say someone who just hates the genre.

Also do you just disregard everyone's opinion because I can't tell if you just follow negative comments or really don't listen to anyone. Because you literally said you disregard peoples opinions because they can't be everyone's opinions, but you also say you disregard positive opinions. Seems kind of redundant.

Yeah i got this game within weeks of getting the September launch slims. Brought my copy New for 19.99 at walmart. Haven't even got to play it yet with a huge backlog my current rpg I'm about to start is White Knight Chronicles.

I can personally attest that VC is an excellent title and one of the best games that SEGA has made in a LONG time.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Sure, there will always be a price people will pay to have a tangible copy, but that's increasingly the minority.[/QUOTE]

Lol...I love it when people make shit up to prove their point.

[quote name='romeogbs19']
[/QUOTE]

Digital downloads do not have the same impact as actual reprints. FFVII still sells for ~$40 - $50, sure that is $20 less than before the DL went up, but it is still 2x MSRP. Don't bother posting that some sell for $30, I'm aware of that; however, the vast majority sold still fall in the $40+ range.

If anything, digital downloads will just make future physical releases more scarce (if more people will buy the digital copies versus the physical media). What would happen if the service those people bought their digital games on disappeared and they wanted their game again? They'd need to get their hands on a physical copy...

Digital downloads are risky business because there is no gaurantee that services like Steam and XBLA will be around in ten years. The physical media will be, so I'd invest wisely and buy physical over digital.

[quote name='Doomstink']What would happen if the service those people bought their digital games on disappeared and they wanted their game again? They'd need to get their hands on a physical copy...

Digital downloads are risky business because there is no gaurantee that services like Steam and XBLA will be around in ten years. The physical media will be, so I'd invest wisely and buy physical over digital.[/QUOTE]

If the videogame industry has show us anything, it's that companies are willing to resell us the same game over and over again on whatever the current hardware platforms are.

Sure, you don't need to rebuy FF7 repeatedly if you own a physical copy, but as you mentioned the physical copies of that game also cost much more than their digital counterparts. You can either buy a single physical copy for $40 or a digital version four times for the same cost (assuming you lost access to your other digital copies three previous times).

[quote name='Doomstink']

Digital downloads are risky business because there is no gaurantee that services like Steam and XBLA will be around in ten years. [/QUOTE]

This is only true though if you dont take care of what you download and delete something without a backup or so forth. A game downloaded to my PSP doesn't stop working just because PSN goes down for the count. Granted it doesn't have collectible value really but you can't make the argument that physical copies outlast digital copies (then again with some DRM placed on certain downloads it could and perhaps in some cases has become that way in the end).

All fanboyisms aside, this was the last game I pre-ordered where I felt it was truly worth the 60+ after tax cost. Opinions clearly differ but if you can find it at the 20 dollar price point and enjoy a combination of 3rd person combat and strategy this may be up your alley.

If a demo still exists on playstation network give it a try and decide for yourself.

And in relation to the talk about digital downloads, if you read the last XBox Live license agreement they even state they can and will remove content from their download section without warning and have no obligation to make it available to you again even if you paid for it. So really buying off Xbox Live marketplace is banking on them keeping stuff available for download after you buy it (or banking you don't delete it or have a hard drive failure in your console).

This is a forum and you're entitled to your opinion same as me. Though if you don't like the genre, then you're not really contributing to the conversation by posting in the thread. Try the demo; you'll love it or hate it. That should be enough to determine if you want it. Feel free to post your thoughts on it here afterwards.

[quote name='Kaltic']People saying they think a game is worth full price, hopefully, are people that have had experience with them game. That experience has lead them to belief it is worth for price. [/QUOTE]

This is the case for me. While I am a CAG, I'm willing to pay full price for games that are worth the price of entry. The only other game this genre I've paid full price for is Bad Company 2. Just about every other game I get is $30 or less.

So far I've played through the game twice. I'm watching the anime that was created after the game pretty awesome - happy with how it sticks to the plot of the game but has a little artistic license. I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles II on PSP with my wife and can't wait to finish it so I can go back and do another playthrough of the first. I checked my last savefile, and I've put in well over 200 hours.

In case anyone wants to know, I do love strategy games - real-time and turn-based, I enjoy anime, and I enjoy a good shooter every now and then. So I guess Valkyria is the perfect blend of those for me.

The story's great. The presentation's great. The visuals are just so freaking beautiful. Please just do yourself a favor and download the demo and try it. I did it and became insta-hooked.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']New Fire_Thief tryouts are next week, OP.[/QUOTE]
Haha! Thought it was him until I read the username.

This thread is like herpes, seems to pop up every once in a while, won't go away. VC is a good game, though.

[quote name='CaoPi']speaking of, where is Fire Thief, did he get banned again?[/QUOTE]

I believe it's a permanent ban, this time. Shrike must feel pretty stupid now for giving me a one week ban for making fun of FT.

Awesome game but as others have mentioned it sold like crap. It's now on the PSP. I do wish they had gone ahead with a 360 version because that's how VC first started out then it became a PS3 exclusive.

[quote name='Lord_Zath']
Try the demo
; you'll love it or hate it.
The story's great. The presentation's great. The visuals are just so freaking beautiful. Please just do yourself a favor and download the demo and try it. I did it and became insta-hooked.[/QUOTE]

For those that have mentioned the demo, it is no longer available on PSN. I checked yesterday.

So if you want a taste of Valkyria Chronicles, I suppose you need a PSP to try the Valkyria Chronicles 2 demo. But I personally don't know how well the console original compares to the handheld sequel.

[quote name='Lucian']For those that have mentioned the demo, it is no longer available on PSN. I checked yesterday.

So if you want a taste of Valkyria Chronicles, I suppose you need a PSP to try the Valkyria Chronicles 2 demo. But I personally don't know how well the console original compares to the handheld sequel.[/QUOTE]

Really? That sucks. Sorry everyone. PSP demo for VC2 can work, but it's not as good. You can also search YouTube for "Valkyria Chronicles gameplay" to get an idea of how it all works. This playlist is good for example if you want to see how tactical the game is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSbhOs6DfqM&playnext=1&list=PL90535EEFCB94477A&index=1

It's a bitchin game if you like strategy games at all. If you go way back, there was a game on PC called Incubation which could be considered the first full 3D turn-based strategy game. VC seems like a spiritual successor in many ways. I just went through my library and realized that I sold it back after beating it...should I rebuy?

On an unrelated note, I never understood why they didn't use this style to make a Warhammer 40k game. It would literally be the perfect vehicle for accurately portraying the tabletop game.

It's cool Sega brought something original to this, and it looks great, but unfortunately like almost all strategy RPGs now, it's way too hard except for the super faithful.

They used to make these accessible for everyone...

[quote name='Wolfpup']It's cool Sega brought something original to this, and it looks great, but unfortunately like almost all strategy RPGs now, it's way too hard except for the super faithful.

They used to make these accessible for everyone...[/QUOTE]

I think this game is worth full price. While the difficulty can be uneven I never felt cheated at all. It was always something I did wrong. Hey I loved it and it was a great CAG recommendation! In my top 10 of all time!

[quote name='typical guy']For those that played through it, is this game like final fantasy tactics?[/QUOTE]

In game theory, kind of. You have multiple units that level up on a battle field against another small opposing force. You control each of their actions separately, one at a time. You can choose starting positions and which troops you use for most fights. But actually playing the game is different since it's quite a mixed hybrid of different genres. Look at a video rather than have me explain, it will make sense much quicker.

[quote name='Vortextk']In game theory, kind of. You have multiple units that level up on a battle field against another small opposing force. You control each of their actions separately, one at a time. You can choose starting positions and which troops you use for most fights. But actually playing the game is different since it's quite a mixed hybrid of different genres. Look at a video rather than have me explain, it will make sense much quicker.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people are talking about strategy games but an rts like star craft is very different from a game like final fantasy tactics. I simply can't stand those tactical rpgs. I don't want to waste my money on a game I will hate. I tried to get a demo but I couldn't find it. I tried a bunch of games like that including ogre battle. I hated them all. People rave about this game but people raved about ff tactics and I considered it so bad it was unplayable.

bread's done
Back