Don't update PS3 to v3.00

halcyon1234

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Not so much a deal-- unless you consider free advice to be a deal.

Don't upgrade your PS3 firmware to v3.00:

- The UI has become a horrible, distracting mess
- It puts an unremovable, scrolling advert on the top of your screen
- Causes Drake's Fortune to randomly crash
- Other annoyances.

The buzz is that a patch for the patch will be coming out soon. There's literally nothing in the patch worth the headaches. Wait a few days.

(Cross-game chat? No. Better fonts for SD games? No. Sparkles on the XMB? Yes. omgponies!)

You can turn the sparkles off; The scroller advert is a little annoying, but it does have a function (it lists the date and time); only some users have claimed that Uncharted is crashing, it's not a universal problem. I wouldn't mind the option to make the font bigger, it might be hard to see for older folk (my parents are using a PS3 Slim as a BR player, and the font can be hard for even me to read).

With all firmware updates, wait a bit until the problems get sorted out.

i wish i never updated to it because i dislike it (i updated because psn kept signing me off and i thought the update was a fix). The font is bigger and makes it look real childish. My tv is big so its HUGE now. the friend list isnt see through anymore and blocky which looks...childish..the ps3 slogan is different now which i also dislike. also, when starting games, that chime noise along with the ps3 slogan is gone. I like that because I knew that the game was starting..not real big issues but its just a bother to me. I suppose the sparkle crap is good...:drool:

yea, this update BLOWS

one of the most pointless upgrades in my opinion. so we get more problems in exchange for what? moving themes? OMG DO WANT !!! (sarcasm)

I haven't used it much but so far I have no problems with it. I like the multi audio out and the video fast forward/rewind analog control is friggin awesome.

If you want to actually USE your PS3, you have to update. I don't mind the sparkles, but the scrolling ad is pissing me off. Not happy with the constant mandatory firmware updates that add so little. One big update every 3-6 months would suffice.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I didn't notice much of a change... It doesn't make me want to turn on my PS3 again that's for sure.[/QUOTE]
That's too bad that you can't find any games you like to play. Maybe you should sell it.

For the multiple audio out... Does that mean I can output composite audio and optical? That just made my day and this firmware update completely worth it if true.

That will make video capture exponentially nicer and removes all the clutter from the PS3 capture setup.

[quote name='RoganSarine']For the multiple audio out... Does that mean I can output composite audio and optical? That just made my day and this firmware update completely worth it if true.

That will make video capture exponentially nicer and removes all the clutter from the PS3 capture setup.[/QUOTE]
I'm fairly certain it does.

[quote name='J7.']That's too bad that you can't find any games you like to play. Maybe you should sell it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, it's crossed my mind a few times trust me...

[quote name='Naylord']the big thing no one seems to realize is that you can no longer go to the XMB during music playback![/QUOTE]

Have you tried the Home button?

[quote name='VipFREAK']Oh, it's crossed my mind a few times trust me...[/QUOTE]
It's surprising to me because I just find too many great games and not enough time.

All the features I used before are in the same place and work the same way. I don't really care about the cosmetic changes one way or another.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I really wish I could. I used to be a really big Sony whore before this whole "next gen" gaming came around...[/QUOTE]
What games did you like in the past?

[quote name='VipFREAK']Pretty much just...

GT series
Killzone
Tom Clancy games

That's about it.[/QUOTE]
I see, unique. Did you like more games than that in older generations?

I'd try something new, there's bound to be something out there you like that you might not know a lot about, even if it's PSN games.

Has there been any word on when they're going to fix this update yet? I just got a slim, and I really want to play Uncharted! Oh well, at least MGS4 is keeping me entertained.

[quote name='craig64']Has there been any word on when they're going to fix this update yet? I just got a slim, and I really want to play Uncharted! Oh well, at least MGS4 is keeping me entertained.[/QUOTE]

Same here! Just picked a slim up last week, and those are the only 2 games I have so far. MGS4 is pretty entertaining, but I really want to play Uncharted! Especially after I spent a couple of days hunting for a new copy.

I would just play it. From what I've heard the probem is not very widespread. Whats the worst that could happen? The game saves very often for you. I've played it since the update and I had no problems.

I tried to play it the day I bought it. Got up to the end of Pt. 2 and it froze. Turned everything off and put it in again and it was fine. But I don't want to risk my new slim freezing up again, so I'm going to have to wait for an update that fixes the issue.

I updated recently and the ticker doesn't bother me cause I disable it by turning off the internet connection. However, likely not related to the firmware, but I have a lot of problems trying to connect to the PSN store. I literally have to go into the store in what looks like a completely unrelated feature just to have it connect. Pain. in. the. ass.

I've blocked the PS3 from the internet to keep the ticker from loading. Of course that's annoying, because now I can't see new Guitar Hero tracks, or play online on any games. Bleh. Rant rant rant.

using a slim here. no issues with controllers here, but uncharted was crashing every 5-10 minutes for the first half of the game, also not sure if anyone else is having this issue but right before i updated i was playing warhawk, checked kotaku saw the update was live got off warhawk and installed it now warhawk wont load. is it only slim users with issues or are fat models having the same random issues? id check with my fat but im still waiting to get it back from repair

the ticker is the clock on the top right, think it also includes your handle and message count, havent paid alot of attention to it

this is the worst ps3 update ever...cant believe they destroyed it so much and really wish i could revert

btw you can disable the ticker by setting your date to 2010

They did apparently issue an option update to fix the Uncharted and stability issues, but supposedly in 52% of people who updated to it, their systems stopped recognizing Blu-Ray as a valid format. I'm hoping they'll have a new update that fixes both issues, and doesn't create any new ones soon.

Although, seeing the great job they do at QA-ing these updates, I don't see that being likely.

bread's done
Back